Replace a battery before it dies?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fieldsher

Reaction score
My 01 Bandit has the original battery. Trickle charged religiously off season. Thinking that perhaps I should replace it as preventive maintenance or can I reasonably expect a few more seasons local riding out of it?

Thanks, George

QUOTE (Fieldsher @ Feb 26 2006, 07:16 PM)My 01 Bandit has the original battery. Trickle charged religiously off season. Thinking that perhaps I should replace it as preventive maintenance or can I reasonably expect a few more seasons local riding out of it?My experience is that the original battery always seems to be better than its replacement so I keep them as long as possible. I would just use it until it quits or will not hold a charge more than a few days -- but this is assuming that you can easily buy a replacement when it does fail. If you are going to take a vacation to Alaska this summer than you probably should replace it before you leave.

You're pushing your luck with a battery that old. I've been on 2 road trips where an older OEM battery just up and died. It's a nuisance and several hours worth of dilly-dallying tracking down a new one.

Local riding, okay, fine, ride till it dies. But if you're going out of town so to speak spend the money ahead of time on a new one.

This line of thought applies to tires, too.

Unless your battery breaks inside, and you have an immediate failure (this has been know to happen even to new batteries), your battery will, over time, start to get noticable weaker. So when your cranking begins to get slower, and it isn't because the bike has sit for two weeks without being started or the battery maintained, it might be wise to start looking for a replacement. I don't replace unless the battery completely craps out or the above forementioned conditions exist.

What C&C said....

Also, a digital voltmeter can be helpful (if you want to get into such things?). 12.8 ~ 13 volts is what you want to see. Batteries are different nowadays and very good, imho. Last year I replaced the battery on S.O.'s yellow '94 Yamaha SecaII (64K miles). It's now on its 3rd battery. We came home from a ride and I asked "how's your bike? everything ok?" (something like that -- usual kind of question). She said, "It's fine -- altho, the headlight doesn't seem quite as bright." I checked the voltage and it was a little low. When I replaced the battery I wrote it down in her manual and checked to see when I'd put in the 2nd battery (an inexpensive after-market AGM bat) and it was 7 years prior.

Not bad service in my book.

Thanks all!

Cranking has slowed down a bit which is what got me thinking. If voltmeter shows about 13 after trickle charging for a month I understand that would indicate "normal" battery condition?

Hate to replace an operating battery but stranded would really hurt!

George

George, I had the same dilema with my '98 R1. I also kept mine charged in the house over winter, etc. I couldn't believe it still cranked well at 6 1/2 years old. Sold it with the oem still in it. Apparently, today's bike batteries (mostly maintenance free AGM) last quite a bit longer than their predecessors. I too have suffered more than one "sudden death" battery failure on my bikes, but all were old lead acid batteries that needed water added periodically. I agree with the others that if you're planning a LONG trip, it might be prudent to not chance it at this age. Otherwise, let it ride until it shows symptoms.

My $.02

Batteries, tires, fluids and brakes are cheap insurance to me. I change that stuff often. I'm just not willing to put up with even the thought of a potential problem on something I can easily avoid.

That's just me though.

bob

I make it a practice to replace the batteries on all my bikes at no longer than three year intervals. My son and I have six street bikes and don't use battery tenders in any of them--we just make sure we start all the bikes up at least every 7-10 days, even in the dead of winter. I started street bike riding at age 14 and after 40 years of riding, my experience has been that once you get over three years on a battery, no matter how strongly it tests out, it can suddenly go out on you unexpectedly at any time. I've never had a single battery failure where the battery was less than three years old, so I stick with that time interval. Once you have a total battery failure while in a National Park 110 miles from the nearest mc shop, you realize that it's worth spending $50 or so every three years to maintain reliability.

My two cents.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

leebunyard Posted on Mar 5 2006, 11:46 AM<snip>

QUOTE ....you realize that it's worth spending $50 or so every three years to maintain reliability.Really? $50 is a mighty good price for an FJR battery...?? :blink:

I look at a bike battery the same way aviators look at a battery. Change them before they go out. I have found using a battery tender has greatly improved the life span of the battery. And that a Yashua no maintaince (spelling), is by far the best one made. Hope this helped. Painman. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
>>Really? $50 is a mighty good price for an FJR battery...??<<

I haven't had to replace the OEM battery yet in my '04 FJR, it comes up on the three year point early this Fall and I'll replace it then. I'm not sure what a replacement battery for the FJR costs, I buy most of my mc batteries from Sam's Club, Champion brand, and have never paid more than about $40 for any of them. Have never had any of them fail either. I don't think Sam's Club is carrying a battery for the FJR, at least in their stores, so I may have to go elsewhere to purchase. I'll probably check Sam's Club and Costco on line first however. They frequently have items available on line that aren't carried in the stores.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

Changing out the battery on the FJR is not the easiest thing to do when your stranded out in the middle of nowhere..... ;) .....Or in your own garage....

Taking off all those plastic pieces with the special little screw-dads.... :huh:

Freddie Krugars nightmare........... :p

Ill be buying a battery every 2 years.....period......... :(

Since we're now talking FJR battery, mine died in less than 1 year. Good news is Cypress agreed to replace it after dealer sent it back to them for inspection. I'd already bought another and new one has held up fine. FYI, got many recommendations for Westco battery for FJR. About $60 delivered vs $110 at dealer.

George

I think you are living on borrowed time. Rechargeble battery life is dependant on how many charge cycles your battery has gone through. Just replace it and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator: