Replace CB/Intercom or Use Current?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark05FJR

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought my first sport touring bike. The intention is to get out with my wife on the back for some fun adventures and trips. The bike came with a JMCB-2003 CB/Intercom. It has hard wired connections for the driver and passenger. Unfortunately the bike did not come with headsets for the unit so it is basically useless.

My question to all of you is it worth it to find wired headsets to use it, or, should I sell the unit, remove the wiring, and go with a bluetooth setup that would allow my wife and I to also use our iPhones? If your recommendation is for replacing, what would be your choice of bluetooth sets?

We use the Sena SMH10, and really like them, so I'm partial to them. I don't know anything about the JMCB setup...If the advise is to sell, take a hard look at the Sena.

We use the JMCB set up on our bike with a Zumo 550 linked in and a V1 radar detector and we use Big Ear custom ear plugs with speakers built in. I also have a MicMutes systems installed which lets you turn off the open mic and noise cancelling circuits when not talking. Like any system it takes some time to get your volumes balanced.

J&M offers way more versatility than any other system I have used. You can buy the headsets from J&M (they have a website) Their customer service is great. I bought my system used and had a small problem. I sent the head unit in, and even though I was not the original purchaser, they fixed it for free.

One thing, their cables are expensive. But they are very good. The J&B is the OEM for BMW, HD, Goldwings and a few others. One big advantage over bluetooth systems is you done have to worry about charging batteries.

Love my J&M. Originally I thought I wouldn't like being wired, as I had a Bluetooth system on my previous bike. But I don't mind the wires at all and the sound quality is excellent.

My advice is to go ahead and get the headsets. Best place to get them is here, nobody is cheaper: https://www.sierra-mc.com/categories.asp?cat=312

Plus you can get the NORA Weather stations, and communicate with anyone else that has a CB.

WTF?? You mean to tell me Krakyo ain't the shizzle anymore?

Bastages! I hope a goat shits in yer Cream of Wheat ya hippies!

Non conforming cox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my J&M2003 dual...it's on my 3rd bike and is 10 yrs old of perfect service

only had to replace a knob or two that broke from old age

my '04 has 150k mi and I rode 26k in '10 and 27k in '11 in all kinds of weather

J&M are proud of their merchandise considering prices, but I guess they have reason to be

the question is do you wish to communicate with other bikes...Goldwings & Harleys are standard on CB...to keep my system working well and high fidelity, I recently purchased an

"Amplirider" to wire in my MP3, radar detector, and zumo to J&M with great sounds.

The intercom is also superior but so are others...the question is about communication with other CB'd bikes.

we can talk more if you like at mholiver at patriotguard dot org

6676470327_e0cc55bde0_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/sets/72157628817548565/with/6676470327/

I own a YAMAHA Mike!! I am Superior to all other two wheeled conveyance..

Therefore ...... If I feel the need to "converse"?

I will pull over and wait 16 minutes for those Klowns catch up..