Replaced '13 tail/stop light bulbs with LEDs - tricky

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichDoyle

Reaction score
Actually, this even applies to replacing a burned-out incandescent with another. The owners manual blithely says to pop the socket out from behind, replace the bulb and put it back in. Standard in automotive stuff these days.

But, as some may have found already, with the bracing, the wiring stuffed into that area, and the lack of excess wire lead length, this is a real challenge. Furthermore, the recommended LEDs are a bit longer than the stock incandescents. Pulling the socket back and rotating enough to replace the bulb in the socket and then reinsert the socket is a real battle. I found it somewhat helpful to pop the right turn signal socket out of its position to get some slack in the wiring.

But I did get it done basically as described in the manual, except for having to invent a couple of new bad words.
weirdsmiley.gif
One hopes that the promised longevity of LEDs means I'll never, ever have to do this again. Turn signal replacement doesn't look too bad. I might do that also.

Me too, I was going to tap into one of those brake light wires to run a brake light on my top case, found out how much fun it is trying to get the socket and bulb out and back in. Decided to tap into the circuit under the left side cover near a wiring harness connector, much easier.

I just recently tapped into one of the tail light bulbs to install a fuzeblock, it was a bear to get that bulb back in even on my 05, but low and behold, after I got it back in I noticed the damn thing burned out, maybe when I was messing with it.... Not bad for almost 10 years and no bulbs out ever....

Anywho.... if you use a white marker or something to put an alignment mark on the housing and the twist lock bulb holder, it makes it easier to line back up for install. Also I used a pair of pliers to grasp and turn then re-insert....

Hope that helps somewhat....

Is the bulb you used brighter?
Not likely. I've still not seen an LED bulb replacement that can hold a candle (see what I just did there) to a plain old incandescent bulb. Wish that it were not true.

For increased brake light visibility try adding a 3rd brake light. That one can be very bright LED module and with a custom flasher / strobe you'll get everyone's attention that actually has their eyes open and looking forward, not down at their stupid smart phone.

It will be interesting if you keep them in. Like myself, I tried this a coupel of years back with superbrightleds.com and the LEDs just didn't utilize the reflectors and produce the luminance I desired/needed.

Post up pics... filament on one side vs. LED on the other.

Cruise still works fine, as does everything else.

The replacement lights look to be just as bright as the incandescents. Not noticeably brighter or dimmer. They are an 1157 replacement bulb with a whole gang of individual LEDs in a stalk layout. The main reason for replacement is reliability and current draw. I had occasion to have both brake and tail light bulbs burn out both filaments on a 2-year old bike. Totally dark in the back, there. Not good.

I'm guessing LED's will produce crisper flashing from the Supabrake module. It also controls the light kit on my Givi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought about it, bought the bulbs BEFORE I looked over the install challenge, played a bit, gave up. Fingers are to big, wires to tight. Have new bulbs sitting on bench.

Thought about it, bought the bulbs BEFORE I looked over the install challenge, played a bit, gave up. Fingers are to big, wires to tight. Have new bulbs sitting on bench.
If you still want to try it, I could help you. I don't actually have raccoon hands, but small and dextrous enough to pull it off. Just changing a burnt-out incandescent stop/tail light in there is almost as hard.

I have an LED "bulb" as a replacement for one of my 1157 taillight bulbs. I'd have done both sides for all the obvious benefits of LED over incandescent, but for one drawback. The LED is simply on or off--no separate circuit to brighten when the brakes are applied. It looks just like RichDoyle described:

They are an 1157 replacement bulb with a whole gang of individual LEDs in a stalk layout.
The individual LEDs are arranged up and down a post with the base at the bottom, and a single LED facing "up" at the top. You honestly can't tell which side has the LED and which has the stocker, looking at the back of the bike. Same brightness. But only the 1157 lights up with the brakes, which has caused several helpful fellers here to tell me I have a burned out taillight. I figure with three sets of Hyperlites and two strips of red LEDs wired in on the back of the bike, I give enough notice to following drivers that the brakes have been applied that I don't have to worry about one bulb not brightening.

I don't have a maker or source for this thing, unfortunately. Glenn at Clearwater gave it to me. I'll see if he can give me that info this week and pass it along. I've had it in for a couple years--no problems.

As one who followed dik bag, I can assure you those are stupid bright. If I'd have had a sidearm I'd have shot 'em off his POS genll.

I have an LED "bulb" as a replacement for one of my 1157 taillight bulbs. I'd have done both sides for all the obvious benefits of LED over incandescent, but for one drawback. The LED is simply on or off--no separate circuit to brighten when the brakes are applied. It looks just like RichDoyle described:

They are an 1157 replacement bulb with a whole gang of individual LEDs in a stalk layout.
The individual LEDs are arranged up and down a post with the base at the bottom, and a single LED facing "up" at the top. You honestly can't tell which side has the LED and which has the stocker, looking at the back of the bike. Same brightness. But only the 1157 lights up with the brakes, which has caused several helpful fellers here to tell me I have a burned out taillight. I figure with three sets of Hyperlites and two strips of red LEDs wired in on the back of the bike, I give enough notice to following drivers that the brakes have been applied that I don't have to worry about one bulb not brightening.

I don't have a maker or source for this thing, unfortunately. Glenn at Clearwater gave it to me. I'll see if he can give me that info this week and pass it along. I've had it in for a couple years--no problems.
Well these brighten up just fine when the brakes are applied. I compared the incandescent with the LED tower side by side and they operated the same. They are 26-LED towers that I got from vizi-tec, the suppliers of the Supabrake.

Please show a side by side photo of the LED replacements to standard incandescent.

I have never seen an LED replacement that is as bright as the stock bulbs, especially if viewed at anything but directly behind the bike.

Please show a side by side photo of the LED replacements to standard incandescent.
I have never seen an LED replacement that is as bright as the stock bulbs, especially if viewed at anything but directly behind the bike.
Well, I'm not putting an incandescent back in just to take a picture. Too much of a pain just to prove a point. I'm satisfied that, subjectively, it's the same intensity from all angles. If someone wants to meet up we could take pictures of two bikes together with the different types. I'll be "over town" near Everett tomorrow.

I replaced mine with the omnidirectional, high end LED bulbs last year and tried to take a picture. with only 1 LED and and an incandesent they both will not light. I do not know why. 2 LEDs=fine, 2 incandecents=fine, one of each=no way! (unless you fed power fron an independant sourse. Sorry, not all that fired up.)