Replacement FJR Key Experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
Well, my airheaded wife lost one of my FJR keys. Since I was down to one, I though I would look for a replacement so that I wouldn't be hosed if that one diasppeared, too.

Check out Key-Men.

I ordered a near-duplicate key using my key code, cut exactly to match my bike. Although the key's teeth are a little sharper than I'd like (easy to repair with a stiff wire or some emory (sp?) paper), it couldn't be easier. Ordered online, received it in about a week, total cost was ~$17.

Oh, BTW the key type is YH35RBP, but the website takes you through it easily enough.

Good to know you can always get a replacement easily - just don't keep your key tag with your last key (or at least write it down somewhere first)!!

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you I was having a lot of trouble finding a lock shop that could make a copy in our small town. Oh by the way I was the air head that lost my key.

I got a blank at my local dealer and had a locksmith cut it. I think I spent about $10 for 3 keys.

Has anyone try the luggage key farkle? Order 2 keys and get 2 switch knobs from Radio shack. Measure & cut the keys so they fit into the knobs and are close to flush with the hard bags then glue the keys into the knobs with gorilla glue. Works great if you're like me and always getting into your bags for stuff, and are too lazy to raise your boot over the keys when getting on/off the bike.

I've seen it done, but, been too lazy to do it. Gotta remember to take them out when leaving the bike unattended.

Airhead wife?!? And who let her get ahold of the key in the first place? :p I used to blame my airhead wife for all kinds of crap until I realized it was my own fault for marrying her in the first place. <_<

Airhead wife?!? And who let her get ahold of the key in the first place? :p I used to blame my airhead wife for all kinds of crap until I realized it was my own fault for marrying her in the first place. <_<
I get myself out of all kinds of trouble with the line..

..."Who was it that decided it was ok to leave the kids alone with me in the first place". :haha:

I took the original to a locksmith/keymaker and had them make 4 spares. I haven't used the originals since the bike was new. Nothing more than as if I went to the local hardware store and got them to make the keys for me. I think it was something like a buck or two each.

First: I just got a replacement key from Key Men. Great service and it works just fine. :clap:

Second: Do the cheapo hardware store keys have the black plastic piece on the end of the key? The replacement that I got for my son's FZ6 looks just like the OEM blank except for not actually saying "Yamaha". Even though he lost the damned thing, I'm sure he'd bitch and moan about having to use a cheap solid metal key blank.

Cheers,

Jim