Replacement for Tourmaster Transisiton 2 Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisJ

Reaction score
I need to replace my Transition 2 jacket fairly soon and have been looking around for a replacement. I really like my Transition 2 and thought I would just get another one. The 2 was replaced by the 3 and I am having a hard time finding a Medium size, Hi-Viz color Transition 3 jacket. Does anyone know if the Transition 3 is being replaced with a newer version. Transition 4 maybe?

One thing I noticed with tourmaster is that they have cut back in quality. I bought the same replacement jacket as the original I purchased. the material is thinner and also the liner. It is in no way as warm as my original jacket. Price was slightly cheaper but now I know why. I hope you don't run into the same results.

Dave

One thing I noticed with tourmaster is that they have cut back in quality. I bought the same replacement jacket as the original I purchased. the material is thinner and also the liner. It is in no way as warm as my original jacket. Price was slightly cheaper but now I know why. I hope you don't run into the same results.
Dave
I Agree with Dave.

Quality has gone downhill.

There are soooooo many other.better options.

I went from TM to Olympia, love the Airglide.

However, I am now going to step it up again, looking at the Rukka:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-airider-jacket

Anyway, I do think the Transition 3 is fading in to the 4, but just a guess.

I recently swapped mine for an Olympia Expedition. It's much warmer in the winter and I have high hopes for the mega-vent panel system but we'll see when the weather warms up. At least the quality seems excellent.

Thanks for all the replies. Hi-Viz requirement filters out some suggestions. Gave my Transistion a good washing (pre-treated with Shout, laundry detergent in hot water followed up by Nik Wash and Direct Spray ) Jacket looks pretty good OK which may be all I need to get through the season. The Scorpion closeout price is pretty good. Saw a couple of comments about the jacket being pretty heavy to wear. Any comparisons between the Commander II and Transition II weight? Bathroom scale comparison says the Transition is just over 5 lbs. I'd not like to wait to see if a Transition IV materializes, no answer from Tourmaster yet, and miss the Scorpion closeout. Med size in Hi-Viz seems to go quickest on items I like

I have the Tourmaster Transition series 3 and I like it a lot. Is it perfect? No, but perfection is hard to find and very expensive. I wanted one jacket that could do everything and the Transition series 3 has filled that role. I liked it well enough to buy one for Dad's birthday last year so we both have one now.

I tried replacing mine with a FirstGear Jaunt 2 and have been very disappointed so far. I wish I could find someone to take it off my hands.

This is what my Transition 3 looked like after my low speed get off in November:

That's weird to hear about a First Gear jacket. They usually make really nice stuff. What don't you like about it?
It makes me look fat.

Seriously, it was a closeout from RevZilla and I was looking for something "better" than the Tourmaster. It is a decent jacket but it fits strangely and somehow is not shaped right for riding. Hard to explain.

The Firstgear Jaunt was my attempt to improve on my Tourmaster and for me it was not an improvement. It is a good jacket, it may be a better jacket, I just don't love it. It is sitting on the back of my chair right now, I rode to work wearing it.

Ordered the Scorpion Commander from Motorcycle Superstore at $189, best price I found and I think the jacket has the features I want. Thanks to all who replied with suggestions and comments.

Ordered the Scorpion Commander from Motorcycle Superstore at $189, best price I found and I think the jacket has the features I want. Thanks to all who replied with suggestions and comments.

Let us know your opinion of the jacket.

That's weird to hear about a First Gear jacket. They usually make really nice stuff. What don't you like about it?
It makes me look fat.
Seriously, it was a closeout from RevZilla and I was looking for something "better" than the Tourmaster. It is a decent jacket but it fits strangely and somehow is not shaped right for riding. Hard to explain.

The Firstgear Jaunt was my attempt to improve on my Tourmaster and for me it was not an improvement. It is a good jacket, it may be a better jacket, I just don't love it. It is sitting on the back of my chair right now, I rode to work wearing it.
I like my First Gear Jaunt T2! It was what I was wearing when I low sided on the way to AR and it was barely scuffed up. The shoulder and elbow areas absorbed the impact and asphalt better than I hoped for. However, the jacket runs very large so you need to get one size smaller than usual. I normally wear a large but got a medium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just realized yesterday that my new TM Jett series 3 didn't come with back protection. I just checked my old TM Jett series 2 jacket and it has back protection.

Edit: Well I just checked and it is supposed to have a back protector but I will be dammed it isn't anywhere to be found and I can't seem to remember ever getting it. I am sure I would have put it in if I did.

Now I am even more pissed.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always worn leather police motor jackets when it was less than hot, other than one Belstaff I wear a couple of times a year. I bought an almost new Sedici, and fell in love with it. It's bulkier than motor leather, takes up more storage space when bagged, but it looks and feels great. On the lookout for another similar jacket.

Follow up. Ordered the Scorpion Commander in Medium, too small for my 5'"11 and 155# and I don't like the liner arrangement. Two pieces instead of the one piece quilted line in the Transition II. Returned the Medium for a large, still too small particularly through the forearms and mine are not big by any stretch of the imagination. Kept looling for a Transition III and finally found one at Gateway BMW in St. Louis MO via eBay. Ordered it and received it today. Fits properly through the body and arms, collar tab is a bit short but I don't think that is going to be an issue. The velcro matches up pretty closely. The interior pockets in the liner are not longer the heavier Hi-Viz fabric but a solid black and a smoother material. Same for the interior pockets in the body of the jacket. Everything is nicely finished off with no loose threads, stitching is even and doubled at stress points. Seems to be a lot more of the Phoslite reflective material in the arm and shoulder areas. Venting seems the same as the Transition II and I never had a problem with it being too warm as long as I was moving. Sitting in traffic on a hot day is hot in anything. Hi-Viz seems brighter, pops more compared to the Transition II. It has served through a lot of sunshine and has faded noticeable, especially across the back. Main jacket zipper seems to be a little heavier, I broke the one in the II after a couple of years so bought a YKK at a local store in Seattle and had it installed by the seamstress at the dry cleaner I use. Zipper was about $5.00, installation about $20.00.