Replacement Gas Cap Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AJ - it's Josh.

JSNS

smile.png

I do lots of dumb stuff. Let's not draw attention to it. Thank you.

I got a couple plans in the works. Thanks to all who have responded. Some PMs have been as awesome as the info here

The assembly seems to be the same as the FZ1 - all years. I know because I moved my Givi snap mount from one of mine to the other, then from the FZ1 to the FJR.

So you could get one from another FJR, an FZ1, or one of the many keyless options available for the fz1.

There is more involved to the gas cap assembly than just the mounting ring/bolt locations. Take a look at the link I posted above that shows all of what's going on under the cap. The venting and drains all have to be the same too.

They still may be the same as an FZ1. It would only make sense that Yamaha would use common parts for routine parts like a fuel filler cap, just be sure it all lines up the same underneath before you go that route.

My New to Me 15---Known as Halle, has a problem with the Ring that surrounds the Gas Cap. That part is broken. I am struggling to find a proper replacement other than the stock one. I am okay with buying a new one of those, but because the the terms "gas cap" only have 3 letters Searching is not the easiest.
I tried "Fuel, replacement, cover, tank, and some others" But I wanted to know what options some of you have done.

I also think I am going with a GIVI tank lock bag, so I want that to be compatible. I don't want Halle's tank getting rubbed.

So help me with what you have done if you have replaced you gas tank cap. Thanks
Slightly off topic, but Google will let you search 3 letter words. Put your search terms in Google and then add "site:fjrforum.com" without the quotation marks so that it only looks at this forum.

I opened my gas cap one day and that orange rubber part stuck to the lid. Seals cap to the vent lines I think..

I tried to pop it back in no go, used a small screw driver and damaged it. Ahhhh no problem go to dealer, HOW much can it cost.

Part is only sold with cap assy. $150 or so. Ebay $26 bucks. Used cap. Don't damage it, loose it.

I damaged my little orange grommet, too. The only way to get it back in without ruining it is to take the cap apart and push the gommet through from behind. WBill

Knowing how the vent actually works, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned if that infamous orange grommet took a long walk off a short pier. It is only of any import if you have a CA bike (those with the charcoal canister evaporation emissions crapola) and desire to remain compliant to the CARB (nonsensical emissions) mandates. Otherwise, the tank will vent just fine and dandy with or without said grommet.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my '05 didn't run right without the grommet. Fueling was erratic and gas fumes emanated from the tank. Once I fixed the grommet, all was and has been well. Maybe it's different for modern FJR's. WBill

Bill, is yours a California emissions model by any chance?

The only thing the grommet does is to seal the tank vent hole from the cap to the vent tubing that runs to open space below the bike, unless it's a Cali emissions model. In that case the vent hose goes to the evaporative emissions charcoal canister and a bunch of other gobbledygook. I could see how it would allow you to smell gas fumes when it's venting, but fail to see how it would cause the bike to run poorly unless it is a Cali emissions bike.

FredW: Nope, it's a regular old bought-new-here Arizona model, and there's no doubt about what I experienced with the dang grommet that you can't buy. 'Took me some head scratching to figure it out when it happened, several years ago. Strange but true, WBill

If I was confident that I could do it, or that the replacement part (if applicable) would be as reliable and issue-free as the stock cap, I'd be (gas cap) keyless already....