Replacing battery / where to buy a cheap battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_rider

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a used 07 FJR. The bike has been sitting in the gargage for a while and has a dead battery. Part of the deal was that I would bring a new battery to get it started. Its a pretty darn good deal and the bike is from a friend of a friend, otherwise I wouldnt do this. So, I need a few things, never working on an FJR1300. Where is the battery on this bike? What do I need to change it? and where can I buy a super cheap battery for an 07 FJR 1300?

Battery is under the right side dash panels.

You need tools. :) A 4mm allen wrench (included in the bike's tool kit) for the black plastic dask panels, and a 10mm socket for the battery hold-down bracket and (I think) the terminals.

You can't get a super cheap battery for this bike. It's an odd size that Yammy only used on this and some cruisers, and you can count on 80 bucks being the cheapest crap battery you'll find for it. You won't find it at WalMart, and you don't want to buy one at a Yamaha dealer. Online is the best. It may be, though, depending on how long it's been sitting, that a bump start and a ride will freshen it up enough to use. It may also be that it's been parked for 3 years and is really completely toast.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR's dash has 4 panels, the battery is under the "A" panel on the right side, as denoted by the Owners Manual. On-line, go to Yamaha's web site and go to their parts/service web page HERE then view the Owners Manual. It will show you where the battery lives, tell you how to remove the dash panels and give you the correct battery number for the FJR.

One place that has batteries in stock, usually shipping and handling are included and has a pretty good reputation is WestCo Battery HERE. I'm sure others will be along with more places that carry batteries.

Any battery that you get should ideally be trickle charged using an appropriate charger for an AGM battery.This will help the battery have the longest life possible.

Edit: Well, this is a mostly duplicate post, Walter types faster than I do.

I am looking at buying a used 07 FJR. The bike has been sitting in the gargage for a while and has a dead battery. Part of the deal was that I would bring a new battery to get it started. Its a pretty darn good deal and the bike is from a friend of a friend, otherwise I wouldnt do this. So, I need a few things, never working on an FJR1300. Where is the battery on this bike? What do I need to change it? and where can I buy a super cheap battery for an 07 FJR 1300?
Many people here (including myself) use the WestCo battery. You can get more info at the link below. Also, check the link in my signature about FJR Forum discounts to members.

WestCo Battery at Bike Effects

Call my office for any other details.

I prefer the WestCo battery also. However, if you can't wait for one to be delivered, I did buy an FJR battery from a store called Batteries Plus once when I needed it right away. They had it on the shelf. It was about 80 bucks and lasted a couple years.

Cheap Batteries, cheap tires, cheap oil, cheap fuel thats us. FJR rider are just plain cheap! :unsure: No wait.... thats not right. Oh Yea! its KLR riders that are cheap. Us, only the top of the line for our FJRs! :yahoo:

Cheap Batteries, cheap tires, cheap oil, cheap fuel thats us. FJR rider are just plain cheap! :unsure: No wait.... thats not right. Oh Yea! its KLR riders that are cheap. Us, only the top of the line for our FJRs! :yahoo:
Why do people continually give KLR riders shit?

That was a cheap shot....

Frugal, damnit...

:finger in the air smiley:

:)

I'm frugal, dammit, and I bougth the WestCo from Jeff at Bike Effects. Great service and quick delivery. You get to benefit from all the learnings of the other Frugals that came before you.

Whaile you're there I recommend the 90 deg valve stems Jeff sells. You'll be glad you have them.

I'm frugal, dammit, and I bougth the WestCo from Jeff at Bike Effects...
Why yes, you are frugal, you are a damn Yankee! And, I also have purchased my batteries from Jeff at Bike Effects.

It's all in the words you use...

============================================

Cheap

rechargeable-sealed-lead-acid-batteries-0000070951-L.jpg

Inexpensive

12V14B-4.jpg

=====================================================

Cheap

0000-Shinko-011-Verge-Radial-Rear-Tire---.jpg

shinko-med.png

Inexpensive

Pilot_Road_2_180_4aaad1994ffa5.jpg

mich-med.png

FJR batteries are carried at Checker/O'Reilly/Kragan auto stores. You can also check Auto Zone as a possible source. I'm not too sure about the prices.

Honestly, if you're buying this bike to ride and keep a while, don't skimp on battery. They're not easy to get to and it's good to have the insurance of a solid battery if you're planning on touring at any length..

buck up, spend the extra 20-30 bucks on a quality AGM battery with a good warranty and enjoy the next 5-7 years of riding w/out having to worry about digging into the battery tray.

(also, while you're in there, wire up a good battery tender plug and make it easy to hook up for the riding droughts) :)

I buy all my motorcycle batteries (which, mind you, is pretty infrequent) at a local store called Batteries Plus. Good batteries, good warranties, good prices.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback. I am getting excited for my new to me FJR. The bike has been sitting for a while so I figure I should bleed the brakes and all the fluids, anything else I should be aware of or check?. I may just end up waiting for a few weeks to get it so I can have everythign in line when I get it home and save some money by ordering the battery online. Now its a waiting game.....

Why do people continually give KLR riders shit?

That was a cheap shot....

Frugal, damnit...

Sorry, It's an ADV thang! I'm sure you know what I'm talkin about.

I hope the previous owner is going to help you switch out the batteries. Removal of those dash panels is a real PITA, especially the first time. You might not believe you're really supposed to bend those plastic parts so much to get them free, for one thing. Plus oddball fasteners, jiggling and wiggling of slots and tabs, lining up three different layers of holes for the screws to put everything back together again . . .

Another thing is the nuts under the two battery posts are not captive, so when you disconnect the terminals, the nuts have a way of falling down into the innards of the motorcycle, never to be found. If you don't lose them, they're also tricky to re-connect. I jam something under the nut from the bottom to hold it tight against the terminal while I'm trying to thread the bolt back in. That helps.

At least that's how my Gen I is, and I don't suppose the Gen II is a heck of a lot better. After a few times it's pretty routine, but that first time, wow. HOWEVER. If you buy the bike, it will all fade away, replaced by the glow of happiness shared by ALL FJR riders. Have fun.

I need a battery this week :huh:

I went on the Westco web sight and searched for dealers https://www.westcobattery.com/dealer_search.php

There is one locally here in New Orleans...phone call to owner...he said he stocks the 12V14B-4 but unfortunately didn't have one and could order it; 2-3 days

Westco said they have a warehouse in Florida with 2 day delivery if ordered before 4pm eastern; went ahead and placed order Monday morning...

mine is scheduled by UPS to be here tomorrow (Wed before 6pm Central)

12V14B-4 is $88 with free shipping on their web sight or $88 plus tax from a local dealer

https://www.westcobattery.com/battery_page.php?bid=46&vid=1&mid=505

hope this helps :D

edit: I loosened the left two black panels and left the bolts out since the weekend and had to jump start the bike to get going a couple of times

you might consider just jumping it with one of those portable battery jumper units or another vehicle to get it going to evaluate it

course, you need to be skilled enough to ride without stalling the engine which would be unfortunate ;)

(don't ask me how I know how inconvenient stalling a bike with a bad battery is :huh: )

I hope the previous owner is going to help you switch out the batteries. Removal of those dash panels is a real PITA, especially the first time. You might not believe you're really supposed to bend those plastic parts so much to get them free, for one thing. Plus oddball fasteners, jiggling and wiggling of slots and tabs, lining up three different layers of holes for the screws to put everything back together again . . .

Another thing is the nuts under the two battery posts are not captive, so when you disconnect the terminals, the nuts have a way of falling down into the innards of the motorcycle, never to be found. If you don't lose them, they're also tricky to re-connect. I jam something under the nut from the bottom to hold it tight against the terminal while I'm trying to thread the bolt back in. That helps.

At least that's how my Gen I is, and I don't suppose the Gen II is a heck of a lot better. After a few times it's pretty routine, but that first time, wow. HOWEVER. If you buy the bike, it will all fade away, replaced by the glow of happiness shared by ALL FJR riders. Have fun.
Thanks for the tips, I have heard its a PITA to change the battery on it. Although I am a Mechanical Engineer, I will have another mechanically inclined person with me so I am sure we can figure it out. I see your in Sacramento, I am in Folsom, not too far away.......Maybe I will see you around.

Hi,

Just be carefull buying batteries for the FJR.

Went through the process awhile back.

https://www.forum.fjr13.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2599&p=25107&hilit=+battery#p25107

Be careful when buying batteries for the FJR.
The new replacement battery I bought was not faulty.

I had the battery tested electronically with a documented printout.

The Battery was advertised at 280 CCA, it had a real rating of 135 CCA, and tested at 68 CCA.

It was even worse than my old original battery, that was “faulty” old, cell voltage reducing.

The gent, who went out of his way today visiting the Yuasa factory near Walcol, Ipswich, brought back 3 types of batteries for the FJR, dimension wise.

He tested the 3 of them in front of us and only the OEM now called the Yuasa YT14-BBS, had a real 230 CCA recorded on his tester.

The others were rated at 135CCA and were tested near that amount 120-130 CCA.

The 135 CCA will start the fjr but may not last and run down quicker.

The Yuasa YT14-BBS cost $359.00 including the old fart’s discount.

I don’t think I’ll waste my money sending the “new “ battery back.

I’ll email them and send a copy of the test for them, ask them what to do ???

Lessons Learnt

Cheers

Hi,

Just be carefull buying batteries for the FJR.

Went through the process awhile back.

https://www.forum.fjr...+battery#p25107
Sorry to read about your problem with the batteries. You have taken the time to get some of the documentation to help others understand that salesmanship does not always equal honesty. I have written several posts warning people that a 10 lb battery can not meet the 200 CCA or greater specification that some companies not only advertise, but charge you a royal sum in order to get that extra power. A 10 lb battery that fits the FJR's battery compartment will have ~135 CCA amp capability and not more when measured in direct compliance with industry test specifications.

Another point, all the batteries that fit the FJR's battery space have the same AH rating -- Amp Hours, a measure of how long a battery can deliver a specified amount power until the battery reaches a specified depletion voltage. In the FJR the starter should not draw more than 40 amps so either battery can deliver more current than the starter can accept so the difference is moot (except for the $ you would be gouged for to buy a rip-off spec >200 CCA battery). In theory the >200 CCA battery should crank longer, but considering both batteries are rated 12 AH, the AH rating would come into play leveling the playing field.

The target is once again on my back, awaiting the arrows.

One post.

Another post.

What is a good battery?