Replacing Sidebags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPRIDER

Reaction score
For those of you that have replaced your sidebags, have any of you just replaced the lids? Looking at the hinges at the bottom I see they are attached with rivets. The bags have inner shells that cover the rivets up from the inside. The lids are much less expensive and are really all that need replacing. Anybody have any experience with this? :unsure:

GP

GPRIDER: don't mess with the rivets. Bend the tabs and R&R the pivot pins (w/some lube, of course). Bend the tabs up again, and you're good-to-go.

So the pivot pins on the hinges are removable? Almost sounds too easy. I'll look at them again when I get home tonite.

Thanks

GP

GPRIDER: don't mess with the rivets. Bend the tabs and R&R the pivot pins (w/some lube, of course). Bend the tabs up again, and you're good-to-go.
Cool, but the brand new bag cover I have (left side, for sale or trade for right side) has no hinge half (or reflector) on it, just holes to rivet into.

Well, due to some unfortunate recent events, I too have been in the same quandry. A bit easier for me, since the outer painted part is scratched pretty good. Functional, but looks like Sh**.

I did some price checking and based on the results, just decided to replace the whole saddlebag.

Did you get the discount prices on everything? For me, getting the whole bag wasn't *that much more* then getting just the outer lid. But that is extremely subjective I realize.

Here are the prices of the various pieces from University Motors:

Sidecase bottom (Inner mounting part of sidebag) - $241.50

Spare lid (Painted half of saddlebag) - $280.98

Entire Saddlebag - $410.61

That price sounds good Skooter, but does the entire saddlebag come with the reflector and the rubber strip on the side or do you have to pay extra to order them? I don't think they do. My Yamaha shop here will sell them to me for $505 with the reflectors, rubber strips, and shipping. I wonder how that would compare to University Motors?

GP

Replaced the lid on mine a few months ago. It comes with the rubber insert and Yamaha logo. Does not come with the reflecter.

To remove the old damaged lid, I simply drilled out the rivets. To install the new lid I simply used my trusty pop rivet gun with the proper size rivet. The reflecter on the old lid was not damaged so I pulled it off (it is held on with 3M type double back sticky tape). I cleaned the old tape off with WD40 applied new tape and stuck the reflecter on. Looks as good as if it were done at the factory.

Bananas!

I need to replace my right bag on a 2003. My dealer quoted about $550 for the entire bag assembly and $410 just for the painted lid. Could somone give me phone number for University Motors so I can compare prices.

@Millsaps2:

University Motors

1920 12th Ave

Fargo ND 58102

Gary McCoy - Parts Manager

701-235-6478

701-235-7905

gmccoy AT cableone DOT net

If the lid is only scratched then drill thre rivets get it repainted and rivet back on. Cheaper than replacing the lid completely. You only need a sharp scalpel to remove the rubber bump strip and it can then be glued back on when paint is done.

The inner black lid is epoxied on and can be popped off with a large screwdriver or other leverage device. It breaks loose all of a sudden. Don't worry, it won't break. After painting and re riviting outer lid, simply epoxy it back on with 40/40.

The inner black lid is epoxied on and can be popped off with a large screwdriver or other leverage device. It breaks loose all of a sudden. Don't worry, it won't break. After painting and re riviting outer lid, simply epoxy it back on with 40/40.