Retiring and Moving to Spokane

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
My wife Linda and I are building a new house in Spokane. We move in March or April 2018. I will continue working at Boeing (we call it the kite factory) through January, hoping to get a voluntary layoff. The voluntary layoff comes with 26 weeks severance in the form a lump sum so a new 2017 FJR is on my mind. With vacation/sick leave/holiday time I will only have to work about four months over the next six.

Seattle has a lot to offer but anymore it is impossible to get anywhere. The traffic is awful. The traffic on the I-405 on ramps is worse than any freeway traffic in Spokane. Enough!

We think Spokane will work for us because there a nice downtown area featuring Riverfront Park, the Centennial Trail along the Spokane River and Spokane Falls. There are arts and entertainment, great golfing and wonderful motorcycling. And there is nearly no traffic. Our home will be located 5 miles from downtown Spokane a short ten minute drive to great restaurants, parks and venues.

We will cut our mortgage by 50% and shorten our term by six years. With the money we save in winter we can rent a house at The Villages in Florida and enjoy the golf cart life style or try some other winter destinations.

Any fellow riders in Spokane?

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
"Uncle Hud"
Just a cautionary note ... be careful what you wish for. <a href='https://nypost.com/2009/01/25/retire-to-the-bedroom/'>The Villages</a>.</p>

Well I am happily married so avoiding STD is not a problem.
biggrin.png

The corridor between Spokane and Coeur d lane (spelling sic) is to be avoided at rush hours. We will miss you over here. My brother-in-law has lived there for years and really loves it. Big enough to have all you need, medical, dental etc.. Has 4 seasons, does get cold and stays that way for times but does not sound like you plan on being there. Let us know for the housewarming and may all your plans go well.

Wow...sounds like NAFO will be in Spokane next year
rolleyes.gif

Good news Jim, nice to hear you have a plan that will work for you two. Some real nice riding north of Spokane...or south or east or west :)

Hey, congratulations, Jim. Sounds like you're going to have it made. And I agree about Seattle traffic. From what I've seen, it's about the worst. Nice town, but you can't get there from here. Or anywhere. Or through it, or out of it at all, unless you retire and do it in a moving van. Agree with Dougie about Spokane-area riding, too. Have fun.

And Hud, don't worry about STDs for this guy. Have you seen him? :lol:

rolleyes.gif

Good news Jim, nice to hear you have a plan that will work for you two. Some real nice riding north of Spokane...or south or east or west
smile.png
I will skip some of the west part except there is some good riding around the Colville Indian Reservation.

rolleyes.gif

Good news Jim, nice to hear you have a plan that will work for you two. Some real nice riding north of Spokane...or south or east or west
smile.png
I will skip some of the west part except there is some good riding around the Colville Indian Reservation.
Lot's of deer forest rats up near there to watch out for.

rolleyes.gif

smile.png
Lot's of deer forest rats up near there to watch out for.

Forest rats there or traffic choked roads with distracted drivers on their phones here. I don't know what is worse.

Congrats Jim, happy for you and Linda and good luck with the transition to retirement!

On a selfish note, I am a little sad that I'm loosing a terrific traveling and riding partner. We've had some [most] excellent trips!!

--G

Congrats Jim, happy for you and Linda and good luck with the transition to retirement!

On a selfish note, I am a little sad that I'm loosing a terrific traveling and riding partner. We've had some [most] excellent trips!!

--G
As I will be retired I will be riding more and not less. This year I have road much less to spend time with my wife to provide support during a difficult time. With the difficulty behind us Linda and I are doing very well now but the it has meant less riding this year because I love my wife. In the future she will be kicking my ass outta the house to catch a break!

I'd be happy to ride over on Friday and go for a ride on the west side with you next next year. I'll by the coffee. With extra riding time I plan on attending more forum events and I am looking forward to that. There are more excellent trips in our future. I plan on being at Spearfish in June 2018.

Welcome to the east side of the state. I'm pretty sure you will find it far less stressful than the west side. Especially since you are retiring. We've got some pretty awesome backwoods roads around here, very scenic stuff (if you are going slow enough to see it) You will have an assload of fun getting to know the towns/roads/taverns/people. Not necc in that order.

When you get here, let me know. It would be fun to see if a retired guy can keep up with my pillion and I.

Bruce.................In Spokaloo

Spokane was good for me. I had a stroke in Sand Point, Idaho a few years go and they airlifted me to Spokane. I guess they didn't want to risk having me croaking in their custody. Anyway Spokane has a class A treatment facility for stroke victims. They took good care of me anyway. Got more tests that I would ever imagine would have been necessary. The ultrasound technician was a knock out!
grin.gif
The attending physician sent me off with his blessings and we drove to Glacier to go hiking.

I think eastern Washington is beautiful. Good luck with retirement and enjoy that new bike!

Congrats on the retirement!! I have family in that area so I have flown in to that airport many times over the years. It's beautiful part of the country!! Trying to work it so the next time I go out it's on my bike, but if I do that though I'm not sure how much I'll be seeing family.
smile.png