Retiring and Moving to Spokane

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand completely, I am feeling the same here at work and management is indifferent. But without a pension, will have to suck it up for a little while longer. An old boss used to say " When asked, no one will say that they wish they spent more time at the office". Enjoy the next chapter.

Lynny goes for her next PET Scan Tuesday, I'd like to be brave and go but I know we are blessed with good insurance so staying a while longer.

The company view of someone leaving is sort of like putting your finger gently into a five gallon bucket of water and then gently pulling it out, hardly noticed.

Good luck Jim, enjoy! May the roads be to you liking and our roads cross.

Panman posted, in part: May the roads be to you liking and our roads cross.
I'll echo that, if I may. Fontanaman, if you're ever down this way, we have a guest bed with a cold beer on the nightstand.

Well I didn't make it to January. I retired this week. Why?
I was the only person who did what I did. I had a lot of pride in the work having done it for 25 of my 38 years at Boeing. I had dreams of transferring this work successfully, wanted to leave a legacy and something for the next person(s) to build on.

Recently it became clear this was never going to happen as Management was not interested in supporting a successful hand off. It was hard to see my life's work disrespected. I was hard to accept Management saying you do great work (and I did) and hear them saying we appreciate you, but clearly the words were cheap and had no value. So staying at work became emotionally corrosive to my soul.

So with the help of my family, encouragement from my son, encouragement from my wife who will continue working until we move to Spokane, I decided retire.
Boy, sounds like you're talking about my retirement from the state down here, Jim. Planned to stay a couple more years, but, with my wife's support, decided that the impact a few extra ticks of seniority would have on my retirement were far from enough reason to keep feeling the way you and I both did. GREAT decision! And so far (11 years), haven't wasted a second regretting mine.

Lynny goes for her next PET Scan Tuesday, I'd like to be brave and go but I know we are blessed with good insurance so staying a while longer.
The company view of someone leaving is sort of like putting your finger gently into a five gallon bucket of water and then gently pulling it out, hardly noticed.

Good luck Jim, enjoy! May the roads be to you liking and our roads cross.
We used to do that to folks while asleep, they always wet their beds

When moving day arrives don't forget the stuff in the attic Jim.

xl3E7Rt.jpg

Keep Going!

Retirement ? **** that. You are tall enough to become the best part time window washer in the greater Spokane area.

Tires man, gotta pay for those tires.

:)

When I did my time at the lazy B seemed like the more they needed me the less they liked me (management) and that was in 68.

Retirement ? **** that. You are tall enough to become the best part time window washer in the greater Spokane area. Tires man, gotta pay for those tires.
smile.png
Homey don't do windows.

When moving day arrives don't forget the stuff in the attic Jim.
xl3E7Rt.jpg

Keep Going!

My garage has a 13' ceiling. The new garage in Spokane will have a 9.5 ceiling so the lift will stay in Seattle. I will have to find a new way to store the trailer.

Now that you are a man of (somewhat) leisure you will have to post any MID-WEEK travels up N. and we can do a coffee or rte. It is different, especially with the kids back in school.

Now that you are a man of (somewhat) leisure you will have to post any MID-WEEK travels up N. and we can do a coffee or rte. It is different, especially with the kids back in school.
Come south and you got a deal. There is no good ways back south on a weekday. The roads are just jammed up - even the old standby, Arlington, Monroe, Carnation to Fall City, I-90 and Hwy 18. Another good reason to move to the Spoke.

You will learn to dodge rush hours and traffic flows, just takes a little re-mapping now that time is not an issue.

You might think about a dual sport - lotsa great rides off road on groomed forest roads! Come and visit us once in a while!

Congrats Jim! It's great to see that everything worked out so well, and we look forward to visiting (bothering) you on our regular trips out to Hayden Lake, ID.

We have certainly discussed moving once the wife gets her PhD, it's getting a little crowded out here.

If you need any help getting packed up, we are just around the corner.