Reuse Motolight caliper bolts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Rich

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased Motolights from a forum member. Are the caliper bolts okay to reuse or should I get a new set? They look ilike they are n good shape.

Thanks,

Rich

First off, you can't judge a bolt by its appearance. You generally can't see fatigue cracks without a dye penetrant.

Second, the caliper bolts shouldn't need to be replaced every time you R&R the caliper assembly.

Stock bolts? If so, keep using them unless you have specific reason to think they were torqued more than stock. They are unique bolts to this application and hollow to reduce unsprung weight.

Thanks El Toro, Ignacio.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that these are not the stock bolts, but are longer bolts supplied by Motolight to secure their mounts to the caliper.

What grade bolt would I look for?

Thanks,

Rich

Stock bolts? If so, keep using them unless you have specific reason to think they were torqued more than stock. They are unique bolts to this application and hollow to reduce unsprung weight.

If I were going to get an aftermarket bolt for this purpose, I would be looking at aircraft quality. These typically have a guaranteed rolled thread and excellent quality control (excellently uniform strength). Metric grade 12.9 would be what I'd want to find.

You could probably get away with a lower grade, say 10.9, but the cost for a few bolts is so small in the grand scheme of things, that I would just go for the high end.

You could contact the manufacturer and ask them to send you a couple of bolts. They might do it for free, or at least for a modest charge. The shipping will probably be comparable to the price of the bolts.

As Ignacio said though, if they haven't been overtorqued, you should be able to reuse them. If they've been grossly over torqued, you could probably see it in thread deformation.

Its not a bad idea to call the manufacturer and ask for their advice. You could get some free bolts out of the call.

Thanks El Toro. I'll give Motolights a call first and see how fast they can get them to me.

Rich

If I were going to get an aftermarket bolt for this purpose, I would be looking at aircraft quality. These typically have a guaranteed rolled thread and excellent quality control (excellently uniform strength). Metric grade 12.9 would be what I'd want to find.
You could probably get away with a lower grade, say 10.9, but the cost for a few bolts is so small in the grand scheme of things, that I would just go for the high end.

You could contact the manufacturer and ask them to send you a couple of bolts. They might do it for free, or at least for a modest charge. The shipping will probably be comparable to the price of the bolts.

As Ignacio said though, if they haven't been overtorqued, you should be able to reuse them. If they've been grossly over torqued, you could probably see it in thread deformation.

Its not a bad idea to call the manufacturer and ask for their advice. You could get some free bolts out of the call.

Tina, tha owner of Motolight has a FJR... From what I've heard, knows how to ride it too.

I talked to Tina today about the bolts. She feels they are fine because they are grade 12 (12.9??) bolts. She said many riders have re-used the bolts with no problems. Still, if I did want to buy another set, it would be $10 for the pair.

Thanks,

Rich

Tina, tha owner of Motolight has a FJR... From what I've heard, knows how to ride it too.

Rich,
Care to post a picture when you get it mounted? I'm looking to get a pair, I'd love to see how they look on your bike.

Brodie
Me too. I'd be interested in seeing the finished product plus hearing about the installation...

Head over to the website they have a few pics. Installation is kinda bitchy with regards to wiring but not to bad.

:jester:

Rich,
Care to post a picture when you get it mounted? I'm looking to get a pair, I'd love to see how they look on your bike.

Brodie
I had the motolights on my 03, put 20,000+ miles on it (just sold it last weeK)

great product, the caliper mount IS the way to go.

Be sure to use a relay when installing!, I had my wired so could be on both high or low beam, with off switch also. being able to have on in low beam is big help in fog! and reaching way out there on Hi beams is life saver too!