Rewiring the Datel Digital Voltmeter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I originally bought my Datel Digital 2-wire Voltmeter at DigitalMeter.com when I first bought my FJR. I got the DMS-20PC-1-DCM model which is the standard red LED 2 1/2 digit model.

I have been very happy with everything about these meters. That is, except for one thing, which is due entirely to the way that I wired it. I wired the meter directly off of the 12V relay, which I also use to power my accessories. I did just this so that the meter would automatically switch on and off with the ignition switch for convenience. But this also means that I am not getting an accurate representation of the voltage charging the battery whenever I have any higher wattage electrical gear on like heated grips, gloves, aux lights, etc.

The reason for the inaccuracy in this configuration is that the wiring and relay contacts have some finite (albeit small) amount of resistance. When the only thing that the accessory relay is powering is the Datel, which draws a mere 7 ma, then it is reading true battery voltage. But as the other devices pull more current through the relay the voltage drop on the resistance of the distribution system becomes increasingly significant, causing the meter to read below actual battery (and charging) voltage.

The other "problem" with that original configuration is that I am unable to monitor the battery voltage without the load of the bike's electrical system. I'd like to be able to momentarily turn on the meter without turning on the bike, like maybe when checking how well the trickle charger has been working in the winter-time in the garage, in addition to having it automatically come on and off with the ignition switch. That's the "cake and eat it too" part. ;)

So, what I've decided is that I will have to buy another 12V relay which will be dedicated to just powering the meter. I will be wiring this new relay directly from the battery. I will wire in the new relay's trigger signal from the existing terminal strip, which is fed from the existing accessory relay. I don't care what the voltage is there as this will just be used to switch the relay on and off. I'll also be adding a normally open, single pole, momentary switch, to be located on the dashboard somewhere, that will energize the relay when the bike's ignition is not on.

Here's my rudimentary wiring diagram for anyone else that wants to do similar.

2387769310098858932S425x425Q85.jpg

This new relay doesn't need to be one of the ubiquitous, monstrously big 30-40 amp automotive relays we usually use for everything on our bikes, but it should be water tight and weather resistant. So those may be the cheapest and most readily available ones around. That's why I used the conventional terminal numbers for those relays in the diagram. The wiring for this relay circuit from the battery also does not need to be very large as it will only need to support the 7 ma draw of the meter. It will, however, need to be fused for safety, as shown since it coming right off the battery.

I'll try to remember to take pictures of the final assembly, but it really won't be anything all that fancy. Should work great though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fred,

Neat idea but won't the monentary switch (and 5 A fuse) have to carry the load of the other switched terminal block. Maybe nothing there would be turned on when you push the momentary switch? If it is a problem you could put a diode in the +12 feed from the terminal block.

Cheers,

Another Fred

Another way to do it would be to hook the Datel directly to the battery and use the relay (and momentary switch) to make the ground connection.

F

C'mon Fred. You're late to the party!

No relay however, just a switch. Fukin engineers! Always making things more complicated! :p

Datel2.jpg

Yup, you could go on the return (aka ground) side. But there is absolutely no advantage to doing so.

And no, you won't draw current from the rest of the other relay. Just more of the magic of electrons. They only allow current from loads downstream. The only load on the 5A fuse will be the meter and (potentially) the relay and meter combined when you push the button, Even if all kind'a current is being drawn through the other relay.

Fukin engineers! Always making things more complicated! :p
Awww. don't worry 'bout lil Scooter none Fred..

You engineers replaced this....

invention_2.jpg

with this..

velcro_Full.jpg

figuring it'd help guys like him.... And still he ends up like this!

pissed.jpg

Some fellas are beyond helping. :D No wonder beemerdons has such fits with that guy ;)

:jester:

C'mon Fred. You're late to the party!

No relay however, just a switch. Fukin engineers! Always making things more complicated! :p

Datel2.jpg
Skooty my Honey, this would be a fantastic Christmas Day gift from you to your illegitimate bastard Dad, tu Papa Chuy ese!

I did sincerely appreciate plastic inflatable girl doll you gave me last Christmas, until Gregory of Tucson stole her from me!!!

Fukin engineers! Always making things more complicated! :p
Awww. don't worry 'bout lil Scooter none Fred..

You engineers replaced this....

invention_2.jpg

with this..

velcro_Full.jpg

figuring it'd help guys like him.... And still he ends up like this!

pissed.jpg

Some fellas are beyond helping. :D No wonder beemerdons has such fits with that guy ;)

:jester:
Hmmm....third pic is just a red x and I'm not too sure I mind.

Though now I have ZZ Top's song "Velcro Fly" running through my head.

Rancho

Hi Fred,Neat idea but won't the monentary switch (and 5 A fuse) have to carry the load of the other switched terminal block. Maybe nothing there would be turned on when you push the momentary switch? If it is a problem you could put a diode in the +12 feed from the terminal block.

Cheers,

Another Fred

7X,

Ooops. I apologize. I just realized what you are talking about there. Not drawing from the other relay, but rather to the other loads.

So you were saying that I might back-feed the 12V switched loads through the momentary switch. Good call. And you are correct, a diode will eliminate that problem entirely.

Added that to the wiring diagram above.

Thanks!!

If you always hook up your battery tender, what do you need a switch or relay for? Even without the tender the battery ought to go a week with no additional charging. Just something else to go wrong, in my book. Simplify

Yes, you are right. KISS. But I personally do not always hook up a battery tender. I have only one TechMate3 Battery charger and (currently) 4 bikes and a car in the garage to tend over the winter.

You may remember that we had this discussion last year at this same time, just before the big winter layup. I even said that I was going to run a thorough experiment to see how long it would take for a Datel meter, hardwired to the battery to discharge it to dangerous levels. Well, life happened and I never went through with that experiment. But at 7ma I believe that you are correct. I could just hard-wire it with a switch like Skootie.

But where's the fun in that? :rolleyes:

But I personally do not always hook up a battery tender. I have only one TechMate3 Battery charger and (currently) 4 bikes and a car in the garage to tend over the winter.
Just a suggestion to anyone with several vehicles needing battery charging during storage:

You really only need to top off each battery for a day or so each month to keep them in good shape. One charger in a rotation-cycle works fine for many vehicles. To make it even easier switching from one to another, I modified a 30ft spring-rewind power cord reel by replacing the 120VAC ends with 2-pin SAE connectors (to match the output cord on my battery tender) and mounted it on my ceiling. Now its extremely easy to connect up to any vehicle in the garage and there are no cords on the floor. It also helps to standardize the connections to the vehicles, so you're not looking for the correct adapter (all my bikes now have the BMW style receptacle and cars have a 2-pin SAE pigtail).

Started collecting up the goodies to do this little mod on my bike and was looking at my own diagram (above) and it suddenly occurred to me that I am a dumb ass. I know, the rest of you already knew that. :unsure:

Yes, I'll still want to use a relay to automatically switch the voltmeter on with the ignition switch for convenience sake, but there is no reason to make the manual switch actuate the relay. Instead I just need to wire it across the relay contacts. That way I won't be energizing the relay when the bike is not running and no diode is needed in the switched line either. Doh!!

I've also seen the light about switching the return side of the meter rather than the powered side.

Here's the updated diagram:

DatelmeterwiringRev4.jpg

Well, I finally got around to doing this re-wiring of the Datel meter following the advice of 7xray and using the wiring diagram in the prior post. I tried taking some pictures of the wired relay and switch but they didn't come out very good. Here's a picture showing the finished look:

100_1045.jpg

I hid the new relay in the right side behind the battery under the blue panels to the right of where I have the meter and switch mounted. This way I only needed to run 3 wires back to that area, the fused constant +12V directly from the battery, Switched +12 from my key-switched accessory power relay and a ground wire.

The switch that you see has a neon pilot light built into the toggle, but I tested it and it draws > 50 ma, which is too much drain on the battery should I decide to leave the switch on in the garage sometimes. The switch being right next to the meter means that I can easily tell if the switch is on.

I made a little jumper wire between the switch and the meter to enable that light should I change my mind later. The only thing the light would be good for is to let me know that the switch is "on" when the bike is running and the meter is normally on from the relay anyway.

The powerlet outlet above the switch is constant on 12V that I use for battery tending and to power my electrified tank bag.

this is how my previous 3 bikes had a voltmeter wired and I've been amazed over the last 10 months how inaccurate the voltmeter is just wired to a misc switched circuit and a jury rigged ground

it worked OK and I knew it read low, but all is relative and I knew when things were good to go...it consistently read .5 volt low

now with the 6th relay added to the bike, I have an accurate reading off the battery. the relay coil is wired to switched power off the fuzeblock with an additional toggle switch to always hot circuit.

I can flip a switch and always have the GPS, music, and voltmeter on, but don't have to.

At rest, the voltmeter used to read 11.9-12.0, and now is a consistent 12.5 and running on the interstate, used to read 13.1 and now ready 13.7 with the LED Clearwater Lights a blazing.

All is well.

oh, relays? : 1) for Fiamm horns 2) for Stebel horn 3&4)wig wag led turn signal/running lights on end of mirrors 4) Krista lights 5) Glenda lights 6) voltmeter

I've also seen the light about switching the return side of the meter rather than the powered side.<snip>
Fred,

Great info! This is timely as I have some major upcoming farkling to do over what we call winter here in Florida. Datel was one of them, but I wanted a simple hookup, but not on all the time.

I got a deal on relays and sockets @ BG Micro: https://www.bgmicro.com/

I recieved 4 sets and I might just have an extra one after doing my lights!

I was wanting to re do my AVCC controls (I hate the stock pad), and have two project boxes to choose from; I was thinking to actually mount the datel in that alongside the new AVCC switches, not down on the fairing where most folks do.

I've also seen the light about switching the return side of the meter rather than the powered side.<snip>
Fred,

Great info! This is timely as I have some major upcoming farkling to do over what we call winter here in Florida. Datel was one of them, but I wanted a simple hookup, but not on all the time.

I got a deal on relays and sockets @ BG Micro: https://www.bgmicro.com/

I recieved 4 sets and I might just have an extra one after doing my lights!

I was wanting to re do my AVCC controls (I hate the stock pad), and have two project boxes to choose from; I was thinking to actually mount the datel in that alongside the new AVCC switches, not down on the fairing where most folks do.
That is a great idea!! No cutting of the stock faring panels.

Please be sure and follow up with some pics of your completed project box mounting. I too have a datel (clone) to install in my V-strom (along with a FuzeBlock and a few other farkles) and may want to go this route since there are no easily replaceable A, B, C or D panels on a the SS.