RF 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S76

Reaction score
Has anyone sucessfully installed an Autocom (or any other for that matter) set of speakers and a microphone in an RF1000 helmet? I am in the process of doing that but it isn't going too well. I've got it mostly done, but I have almost ruined a brand new helmet in the process. (exaggeration but that's how I feel)

My current issue is the speakers are smooshing my ears. I know you aren't supposed to cut up these helmet inards much and I'm trying to avoid that but.....

Experience......pics......?

Thanks

Has anyone sucessfully installed an Autocom (or any other for that matter) set of speakers and a microphone in an RF1000 helmet? I am in the process of doing that but it isn't going too well. I've got it mostly done, but I have almost ruined a brand new helmet in the process. (exaggeration but that's how I feel)
My current issue is the speakers are smooshing my ears. I know you aren't supposed to cut up these helmet inards much and I'm trying to avoid that but.....

Experience......pics......?

Thanks
I installed a Starcom on the bike and put a set of modified Koss headphone speakers into my RF-1000 helmet. The speakers themselves had little protrusions out the back of them so I took a soldering iron and just melted a very small amount of the foam inside the helmet so the speakers would recess into the helmet better. I then put some hot glue in the recess and sunk the speakers into it. You can probably do the same with yours without doing the speaker mod.

Pictures of what I'm talking about are HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Axe. I remember reading that post now that you mention it.

For now I ended up taking the speakers out. I usually ride with foam earphone speakers, but use the helmet speakers too for short rides so I don't have to bother putting in the ear pieces. With the speakers installed, I tried the helmet on with the earplug speakers in and almost ruptured an eardrum!

I am going to get the ones you recomended and get them in there. If I have to cut out the helmet liner a little so be it.

Thanks

I've installed a set of Edsets speakers and mic in an RF1k. I removed the inner shell then cut away enough styrofoam to recess the speakers. Then I drilled a series of holes in the inner shell in front of the speakers, like a speaker grill. I did the same thing with the mic. Nice stealth install, sounds great.

Bob,

I installed the autocom speakers into my rf1000 helmet, and it did take a lot of "customizing". My buddy just bought an autocom system and he has an HJC helmet. I was tellin' him how tedious and time consuming the install was going to be. But in his helmet it literally took me 10 mins to do the whole install.

I'll put some pics of my helmet up if youd like. I HAD to cut the liner and even shave a bit of the foam out in order to get the speakers to lay flat and not be pushing on my ears. Even when I thought I had them in enough, after about an hour of riding my ears killed. I used the dremmel and tried to not hurt the helmet structure at all. Sanded it down a little at a time until I was comfortable. The mic I installed behind the liner as well. It all works well now but it was a PIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got that right Drew, I've put quite a few headsets in Shoei helmets, the 1000 certainly took the most "trimming" of all I've done.

Bob,
My buddy just bought an autocom system and he has an HJC helmet. I was tellin' him how tedious and time consuming the install was going to be. But in his helmet it literally took me 10 mins to do the whole install.
I understand completely. I had the system in an HJC. I could get that one apart! This one was hard.

BustANut had a good idea about recessing the mic. Good idea as I'm am kinda choking on it a little.

Seems the bottom line is you gotta cut it up some. I'm OK with that.

Thanks for the input. :D