RF 1200 or GT Air

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drmoto

Reaction score
I'm in need of a Silent Helmet, I own a Old RF 1000. I was going to get a GT-Air, liked the idea of the tinted drop down visor,

but after the Montreal Motorcycle Show I now have two contenders (Also liked the Arai Signet-Q, but guess I'll stay with Shoei) ...

After trying the RF 1200 it felted quite good, almost more than the GT-Air, still thinking...,

has anyone rode one of these on a FJR ? How's the noise? Does a Large Gt-Air fit our side cases ?

I guess I can't go wrong with either.

Yes, a large GT-Air fits in FJR sidecases. At least if it's white; I can't vouch for graphics...

I am impressed with the helmet. It is quiet, relatively speaking. Ventilation is very good - much better than the RF-1000 and about as good as the X-11.

I get a lot less head bobble on urban highways compared with the RF-1000. Less pressure during head checks as well.

I like it. Can't compare to an RF-1200 however. The new RF just doesn't quite fit me, it feels a touch too narrow.

I've tried a number of helmets in an attempt to avoid earplugs. I ended up with a Bell RS-1. Yep, quite quiet. But not enough to ditch earplugs.

I've tried different windsheilds. Some are better than others; still can't go without earplugs.

For some reason the FJR has more windnoise than other bikes I've been on. There are soooo many variables .. helmet, windshield, bike, speed, height, personal tolerance for noise ... in the end, for me, it comes down to wearing earplugs at anything more than 45mph.

I hope you can find a better solution for yourself.

I have a GT-Air and love it. I haven't tried fitting it in a side case yet, but I am curious what size helmet jcyuhn has. I have found that some XL and larger helmets, like I always wear, don't fit in cases but the smaller-shelled helmets do.

As for quietness, it is the quietest helmet I've ever worn...and the most comfortable. It feels like it is just cradling my head, the sun shade is optically clear and comes down far enough to have its bottom edge be below your line of sight, unlike many others out there. I can turn my head and not feel like the helmet is trying to lift up or turn on my head. When open, the top vent does allow a wind howl in. Close it and it almost completely goes away - I can also put my hand over the vent when it is closed and more noise is eliminated.

As for wearing it on the FJR, I have a Yama Touring windshield and move it from about 50% up when on curves to about 90% up when on slab. Unlike the Gen 1 and 2's, the Gen 3 windshield was modified to reduce back-pressure and turbulence. It is not gone completely, but depending on your torso length (I'm 5'10" with only a 30" inseam so I have a long torso; equivalent to someone about 6'1"), it is greatly reduced compared to my '08AE. With a little adjustment here and there, I can create a fairly calm pocket of air when slabbing it.

All that said, you really need to try on a helmet before you buy it. I tried the RF-1200 and Quest as well as many others before selecting the GT-Air. My wife did the same and found the Quest is the best fit for her head shape.

Good luck in finding the right helmet!

I have the GT Air and love it. Had an Arai Profile before. It is quiet and light. My favorite helmet ever...

A helmet review I wrote for another site:

I tried on a GT Air at my local dealer, surprisingly, they were quite helpful and found the right innards to get a great fit. The helmet was fitted correctly but it was tight for the first few weeks (roughly 30 hrs/week of ride time), then it loosened up and now it is secure but comfy. Within the three shell sizes there are different size liners that are available to give a very good fit.

I told the sales guy that I could go on line and buy the helmet for a lot less but I would rather give him my money if he could help me on the price. He talked to his boss, then came back and offered me the online price plus shipping. Sold, my money stays in the local economy. (My negotiated price was in the still expensive $480 range.) I chose the solid white color(?) for visibility. Other solid colors include highway stripe yellow and '14ES RED. The solid colors reduce the expensive helmet's cost by ~$100.

I find the helmet to be a little better than middle class on weight, it is the quietest helmet I have ever owned, the venting works great, doesn't buffet and my communicator speakers fit the ear pockets. With the face shield closed it sounds like you are in a fish tank when you talk. In cooler weather go for a ride then open the vents, you will definitely notice how the vents let in air as your face and scalp freezes. I can find positions between the face shield and windshield where I have almost total quiet in the helmet, it's amazing. The face shield opening seems to be a bit bigger and gives better visibility than the Arai that I had been wearing.

If you wear glasses, the glasses will need to have a very minimum ear piece curve or they will be hard to put on. Years ago I bought some quality sunglasses with nearly straight ear pieces and they zip right on with no interference. The helmet has a built in Sun Shield that slides down. I don't mind it and use it sometimes during sun rise and sun set when looking directly into the sun. Pillion hates it because of the curving bottom edge, think fighter pilot helmet sun shield shape.

The back edge of the helmet is cut with a rising curve which protects your neck by preventing the helmet from contacting your spine if your head is pushed back in an accident. On the other hand the curve lets the wind whistle down your neck. Summer is fine, fall and winter I have to wear something to keep my neck from freezing. There are two pull tabs on the cheek pieces that pull out the liner for a rescue helmet removal should the unthinkable happen.

Now, about how air tight the helmet is... It fogs. Bad. The helmet comes with a pin-lock shield -- use it when it gets cool out. When properly installed it lets me ride with temps around 20º F and it still doesn't fog. The silly slip in air diverter that blocks air from your nose and mouth is useless, lose it. Oh wait, you will lose it anyway 'cause it doesn't stay in place.

Even though it is a big helmet my XL does fit in the side cases and trunk.

Over all I really like the helmet and my dealer made me a great deal after I asked for price relief. There are some little quirks that I mentioned but it's a really good helmet, you're going to like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
When open, the top vent does allow a wind howl in. Close it and it almost completely goes away - I can also put my hand over the vent when it is closed and more noise is eliminated.
That sounds like a comfortable riding position... got any pics?
winksmiley02.gif

I bought the GT-Air. I really like it, so much better than the Scorpion EXO1000 I was wearing. Don't get me wrong Scorpion makes a good helmet, I wore it for a long time. It never broke in to fit me right. If so I'd still be wearing it. You know that saying "You get what you pay for?" That goes for helmets. The Shoe is a few hundred more than the Scorpion and you can tell. Much lighter and quieter and all of those little details add up when you get a premium brand helmet.

Sorry, I got off topic a little I know this was a comparison between the GT-Air and the RF 1200. I don't have any experience with the 1200. I'm sure it's a nice helmet too.

I have a GT-Air and love it. I haven't tried fitting it in a side case yet, but I am curious what size helmet jcyuhn has. I have found that some XL and larger helmets, like I always wear, don't fit in cases but the smaller-shelled helmets do.
Sorry guys - my GT-Air is size large. Didn't mention it because that's what the OP asked about. There is enough room in the side case for the helmet and to tuck gloves and other small bits around it.

I concur with everything else that has been said - best helmet ever. By a large margin.

Thanks Guys, Finally opted for RF-1200 fit slightly better, less $$$ and with the $$ saved bought Spectra Chrome Visor ,

had it on my RF-1000 loved it, and still like the look :) .