Rick Mayer Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacinRay

Living The Dream
Reaction score
I was wondering how many here have purchased Rick Mayer seats? I ordered a seat on 7/31 and received a production date of 9/7. No big deal but then Rick charged my Visa on 8/1. Why charge me BEFORE production begins???? Now I will have to pay the bill well before my seat is even made.

Today I get an e-mail stating that production has been delayed a week so they won't even start my seat until 9/14. I'm really uncomfortable with this whole situation. I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance from a bunch of happy customers. Should I worry?

I don't have a RM saddle, but part of why I avoided him was countless threads like this around the 'net.

Sorry, man. Hope it's worth it.

I like the seat so much I'm thinking of getting an accessory shelf for dash area and turning the bike into a bar stool. Funny how time don't fly when.... And also, MANANA doesn't mean tomorrow, it means, No Seat Today. Ha! Mine was 30 days past when it should have been started but lead time 2yrs. ago was 4 months. No worry, It has been one of the best $ ='s it is worth it things I changed. And he will build it. (If you wait long enough).

The fact he'd charge for the seat was on the web site or on the forum when I ordered mine. I wouldn't worry about that. He's good for it....just like you're good for when you return your core seat pan in 30 days and he won't cash the $300 deposit check.

The seat is a work of art and beautiful, but I've not been 100% happy with mine for comfort. Sent it back once and it was improved, but it's still not a thousand mile seat which I'm going to need for LD riding. To me the stock was a 75 mile seat and this one is a 200 mile seat.

I'm actually going to go in for a the second revisit and give it one more shot before next years rally season. I'll make my final judgement then. If he makes it right---great. If not--I'll wish I had gone with a Russell.

I had a build date of 8/14 and it was delayed by a day but I got it back on 8/19. I'm in NY and had them ship it USPS priority mail. I've put about 500 miles on since then and am starting to like it better but the true test will be next week when I go to EOM and put a couple of thousand miles on it. I'm probably going to be with Iggy on this one, that it is going to be a 200 mile seat, because I can't imagine it suddenly getting THAT much more comfortable.
I've had two seats from Rick. My experience with both has been that they take 1000 miles or so to wear in, so don't make any judgements or adjustments til then. Like others here, I also find that his seats roll me forward some. Second seat seems a little worse in this regard. Gonna send it back in this winter and get some of the "downhill" taken out of it.

Still in all, I've been happy with the product and the service. I'll second what Iggy said though. I've had some extended days in this seat, and my butt starts looking for different positions after about 500 miles.

jonesin'

I bought a seat from Rick earlier this summer and have been extremely happy with it. I did a 3000 mile trip shortly after receiving it and was very comfortable the entire time. I never would have made it on the stock seat. Admittedly, I wasn't doing IBA-type mileage; but for my purposes, I can't say enough good things about the seat.

The process was a little rough. I think I ended up getting mine about 3-4 weeks after the initial quoted production date. One of the challenges they face is managing the whole seat pan trade-in process. They're never sure when they're going to get pans back, since they allow up to 30 days. So if they have several orders for an FJR seat, then they have several purchasers wait for the entire 30 days (or need rework) before sending their pans back, they can get a little jammed up. This is what happened to me.

I'm confident that you'll get your seat, maybe not when you expected it, but probably still as soon or sooner than you'd get one from most of the other makers. And I think you'll be happy with the product.

I ordered a Rick Mayer a couple of years ago and about 20,000 miles. Rick is a great guy to deal with and will treat you right. My feelings about the seat are similar to Ignacios. It's better than stock, but still not comfortable for anything very long. I've sent it back twice and he has improved it both times, but still not where I want it. I think if I could do a ride-in we could get it ironed out. Unfortunately living in the Dallas area makes that kind of tough. Maybe someday I'll get over there or maybe try another seat.

GP

I was wondering how many here have purchased Rick Mayer seats? I ordered a seat on 7/31 and received a production date of 9/7. No big deal but then Rick charged my Visa on 8/1. Why charge me BEFORE production begins???? Now I will have to pay the bill well before my seat is even made.
Today I get an e-mail stating that production has been delayed a week so they won't even start my seat until 9/14. I'm really uncomfortable with this whole situation. I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance from a bunch of happy customers. Should I worry?

RacinRay,

I got mine last year and concur with the others. Rick is a stand-up guy who makes a beautiful seat. Your money is safe. Comfort got a lot better after the first few hundred miles with mine. I've done a 700- and an 800- mile day in the last few months with moderate monkey-butt near the end of the rides. FWIW, I think the monkey-butt was more the result of pants/underwear choice than the fault of the seat...

Good luck and quit worrying,

RsvlFeej

Got a Rick Mayer seat. Had him re-do it once already after the initial ride-in build. Still does not meet my expectaions.

Rick is a helluva nice guy and it was a pleasure dealing with him, but...............

I get a new Bill Mayer seat in a couple of weeks.

Also, I know of at least two others on the forum who were unhappy with their RM seat and went with a Russel.

So, there really is no holy grail of custom seat makers IMHO. Each seat maker has their supporters and detractors.

For me, so far, the best solution has been this:

Airhawk2.jpg

The Airhawk. A freakin $170 whoopee cushion. But, it got me through an 1800+ day, and a 2000+ day. On both of those days, I had sore parts, but not my butt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the input. I should be receiving the seat soon (talked to RM on the phone regarding seat build) and I'll post a full review with pictures.

I just got back from a 7 day 3100 mile loop thru 13 states and my a$$ was killing me. The stock seat was VERY uncomfortable after 200 miles each day. I'm looking for a "400 mile seat" as that seems to fit my riding pattern.

For me, so far, the best solution has been this:
Airhawk2.jpg
What, not sitting on it? That probably works on every other seat as well. :p :D

If true comfort all day and night is what you guys seek, then it seems that beating a path to Russel's door is the real answer. ;)

Had a RM and had it redone once and it just didn't go 1000 mile days. Also tried a Corbin and it never did feel right but my Russell is the bomb. After the WFO SS1000 I didn't even think about my butt so it must work.

I have had my RM for almost a year now and am very happy with it. I've also gotten a lot of compliments on its appearance. I can't imagine a saddle being more comfortable enough to go shopping for better. I can slide off it easily to work corners or sit there comfortably for a full tank. Hope yours works for you as well.

I bought the RM seat and was happy with the process. It helped that I had mine made in the winter, so I just sent my seat pans in since I wasn't riding at the time anyway. The seat got done within the time he told me and I am happy with it's performance right out of the gate.

Note that I was not expecting the performance of a Russell, but then I didn't pay the price of a Russell, either. I was hoping for a seat that would let me ride 500 miles in a day with reasonable comfort, and that's what I got.

I bought the RM seat and was happy with the process. It helped that I had mine made in the winter, so I just sent my seat pans in since I wasn't riding at the time anyway. The seat got done within the time he told me and I am happy with it's performance right out of the gate.
Note that I was not expecting the performance of a Russell, but then I didn't pay the price of a Russell, either. I was hoping for a seat that would let me ride 500 miles in a day with reasonable comfort, and that's what I got.
I'm with Windjammer. The wife and I can 500 miles on our RM seat no problem. I waited till winter to send my stock seat out cause the bike is up for a few months here in VT. I did have him make one adjustment but all in all I like the RM seat WAY better than stock (I've had mine 2 years now).

Tom

also had mine done during the winter.turn around time was very quick,actually called him and had him delay the build date for90 days as we were having mild weather and i didn't want to be without a seat until the dead of winter.seat is very good for myself.longest ride was 725 miles.no problem,stocker use to kill after 200 miles.plus i think it fits the lines of the bike better than a russell.just my .02

While I went with a Russell for the FJR, I have a Rick Mayer seat on the Blackbird.

The longest non-stop ride I've done on that Rick Mayer seat was during the infamous Endurance event in 2003 known as BLISTER (3,147 miles in ~ 44 hours).

I never thought about the seat once during the entire event... which is the ultimate compliment a seatmaker can hear. It is SUPERB in every respect.

While I went with a Russell for the FJR, I have a Rick Mayer seat on the Blackbird.
The longest non-stop ride I've done on that Rick Mayer seat was during the infamous Endurance event in 2003 known as BLISTER (3,147 miles in ~ 44 hours).

I never thought about the seat once during the entire event... which is the ultimate compliment a seatmaker can hear. It is SUPERB in every respect.
Wish I could find a seat like that.

:glare: