"Ride-On" Tire Sealant?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
Anybody ever heard of this stuff, or used it? Sorry, I don't know how to put it in this thread as a link.

E-Bay item number 230032678128.

Sounds to good to be true, as many things on E-Bay do.

I have it in all three of my bikes. Works as advertized. When I have new tires mounted I just let the mechaic know ahead of time and there has never been a problem. I was in Americade this past June and had new Metzlers installed on my HD. I spoke with the guy from the Metz factory about Ride-ON tire sealent and he had no problem with it. He did say that you should never put Green Slime in your tires but Ride on is good stuff. I put it in my new FJR last week....6oz in the front and 9oz in the rear as per their chart. How much of a mess can a few oz make.

....6oz in the front and 9oz in the rear as per their chart. How much of a mess can a few oz make.
Thanks for the feed back. I can say that a few oz can make a hell of a mess, but I was looking for feedback, and it is good to hear both the good and bad.

Thanks.

Trigger I just looked at Ebay and you will need three bottles which can be bought direct from Ride-on in kit form for $29.95. Two bottles will not be enough. It's tuff to get all 8oz out of the bottle.

I've used RideOn Tire sealant in my VTX1800C since new. I've 18000 miles on it and am on third set of tires. It's saved me from two flats and on the last 2 sets of tires I've used it to balance the tires.

I've had it to about 130 on my X and not a shimmy with NO wheel weights on at all. I took them off after the Honda shop did such a lousy job balancing my new Avons that I had a shimmy when I put them on the bike.. It's a PITA taking the rear wheel off an VTX1800C and I didn't feel like doing it twice.

Works for me.

Just say "NO!" to Ride-on tire sealant. There is no way I will ever put that crap back in my tires. I was going to link you to an old EZBoard thread I did a couple years ago where I showed in detail what that crap did to my rim, but the damned EZBoard dumped it for being too out of date.

I'll see if I can re-create it here on this forum.

Edit: Here is the newly re-created thread: CLICKY HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it hard to believe that the sealant did that corrosion. The sealant stays on the tire not on the rim. I've been sing the stuff for 4 years now and have had no corrosion issues at all.....But I guess time will tell. After two flats in one summer I wont ride with out it.

Well, maybe mine was the one in a million, but it was the tire sealant that caused the problem.

I also had the sealant in the rear tire. One of the times I got a puncture, the sealant was inconsistent. It would hold pressure for a day or so, then go flat again.

Not confindence inspiring, so I figured, why bother? Especially with the corrosion I saw.

I have it in all three of my bikes. Works as advertized. When I have new tires mounted I just let the mechaic know ahead of time and there has never been a problem. I was in Americade this past June and had new Metzlers installed on my HD. I spoke with the guy from the Metz factory about Ride-ON tire sealent and he had no problem with it. He did say that you should never put Green Slime in your tires but Ride on is good stuff. I put it in my new FJR last week....6oz in the front and 9oz in the rear as per their chart. How much of a mess can a few oz make.

DITTO...been using Ride On in my tires for years with no problems. The stuff is not a flat fix that you put in the tire AFTER it goes flat, the stuff goes in before ... I can handle cleaning a rim off if the stuff will prevent me from being stuck somewhere cause I have a flat. I have read many possitive testimonials on other forums about the stuff and it was the first "farkle" I ordered for my bike.

It is possible that the stuff can get contaminated with water over time, and that is what messed up the rims..as I have seen airhoses at stations spit out water along with the air.

KM

i have had it in my last 2 tires, but last month I pulled a nail out of my rear , and the tire went flat. Stuff didnt seal. The nail may have been to large a diameter....but I was disapointed that it didnt seal. I have 2 bottles left, so will continue to put in the tire.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Besides making a hell of a mess, that stuff carries and holds moisture. It's not good, might as well add water to your tires. Any breech that stuff goes straight to the bands or belts and they rot faster, and your tires will fail quicker if I recall correctly.

Tire manufacturers hate that stuff, and *if* I recall from the tire seminar that I went too it voids your tire warranty if you use it and they won't replace a tire that has had that stuff in it.

Use it in your wheelbarrows, lawnmowers, off-road vehicles, stuff like that for which it was designed, not motorcycle tires.

The guy from the Metzler factory had no problem with it ? If your gonna use it make sure you order the motorcycle formula

Looks like this is a "Love it or Hate it" kinda of thing. For now I think I'm going to hold off, but if I plan a REALLY long trip, where the tire would need to be replaced at the end of the trip anyway, I might give it a try.

Thanks for all the info, opinions, and experiences.

Use it in your wheelbarrows, lawnmowers, off-road vehicles, stuff like that for which it was designed, not motorcycle tires.
+1000000000000000000000

If your concerned with flats, carry a tire plug kit and a small can of compressed air. Both will easily fit in the storage under your seat.

The only substance thats supposed to be in your tires is air, thats what they are designed to hold. :blink:

Several owners on the international fjr site say that the sealant will cause high-speed wobbles due to slight imbalance in the tires.

I've had my FJR well over a hundred plenty of times and it's always been smooth as glass with the Ride On in the tires.