"Ride-On" Tire Sealant?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: Here is the newly re-created thread: CLICKY HERE
Don't want to high jack the thread but I will try to keep it quick and painless.......I promise.

SkooterG, did you ever find out what caused the uneven wear on your front brakes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always had excellent luck with the Green Slime sealant in all the tires around the house on lawnmowers, trailers, dollies, etc..... It really does seal up all those incidental rim leaks and punctures and will keep a tire from loosing air on a lot of implements that are seldom used. I've slashed the sidewall of the garden tractor tire on a sharp rock and even that was sealed up (permanently...??) by Slime.

Having said that I wouldn't necessarily advocate putting it in motorcycle tires.....unless......I had a serious leak and just had to get home. That is why there is a plug kit and compressor under my seat for emergencies AND a small bottle of Slime to put in just in case the plug doesn't seal well enough.

The other problem I have with the idea of just putting the sealant in the tire from the beginning is that you do not know if you have a puncture sometimes. You can pick up a nail or ???? and the sealant seals up the hole and you keep riding blissfully along. Better to find out about the leak when it happens and THEN put in the sealant if necessary.

My riding bud experienced a puncture one time years ago when we were about 2500 miles from home and no plug or patch would seal it up. Turns out the nail entered the tire so far that the tip moved around and wore an almost invisible tiny hole in the sidewall from the inside out. The main nail hole was easily sealed with a plug but the hole in the sidewall was very hard to find and impossible to fix. So.....in went the sealant which sealed and held up fine for the trip home where the tire was replaced.

The sealant can be a godsend in the event of leak like this on the road. It wouldn't be my first line of defense but I sure like having it with me.

I have always had excellent luck with the Green Slime sealant in all the tires around the house on lawnmowers, trailers, dollies, etc..... It really does seal up all those incidental rim leaks and punctures and will keep a tire from loosing air on a lot of implements that are seldom used. I've slashed the sidewall of the garden tractor tire on a sharp rock and even that was sealed up (permanently...??) by Slime.
Having said that I wouldn't necessarily advocate putting it in motorcycle tires.....unless......I had a serious leak and just had to get home. That is why there is a plug kit and compressor under my seat for emergencies AND a small bottle of Slime to put in just in case the plug doesn't seal well enough.

The other problem I have with the idea of just putting the sealant in the tire from the beginning is that you do not know if you have a puncture sometimes.

"Ride On" tire sealant for motorcycles is NOT THE SAME THING as Slime. Most shops tell me that they hate Slime and it is a mess for them. Ride On does not cause any problems and does not "attract" moisture any more than air does ..(I have seen alot of air hoses at gas stations drip water out of them)

As for not knowing you have a puncture because the stuff plugs it, it is always advisable to examine your tires on a regular basis , and perhaps a bit more frequently if you use Ride On.

Ride On does not cause your tire to get unbalanced, as a matter of fact it can even help in this regard.

You can not compare Ride On to Slime or any other cheap knock off, it is a diffrent animal.

I still swear by it and have seen too many glowing testimonials not to use it.

KM

Don't want to high jack the thread but I will try to keep it quick and painless.......I promise.

SkooterG, did you ever find out what caused the uneven wear on your front brakes?
Nope.

Took a toothbrush and brake cleaner to them and tried to clean the pistons as well as I could without disassembly. Even so, I pushed one out a bit too far and *pop*, out came the piston. Stuck it back in as quick as I could, but still had a big mess with brake fluid and now a new job of bleeding the brakes.

Back on the EZboard there was a discussion after my initial post that was lost. Common theme from those in the know was that SOME uneven brake pad wear is normal, however obviously mine was excessive. Now what I do is whenever I have the wheels off for tire changes, I try to do a quick cleaning of the exposed piston surface AND excercise the piston's travel. IOW, push all the pistons in and out to make sure they are not frozen. My brake pads are wearing much better now. They are still uneven, but only slightly so.

I obviously replaced the severe unevenly worn pads from the referenced thread ASAP. Well, I still have those same first replacement pads on 60,000+ miles later, though they are VERY due to be replaced and will be within the next week or so.

Ride On does not cause any problems
Au contraire, mon ami........NOT truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue.

And while I have no experience with slime, I can tell you the Ride-On is one messy PITA.

I am only going by what others have told me..that when they asked if the Ride On in their tires was a mess for the wrench installing their new tire, they all reported that the shop had no problems with it, and that some said the wrench specificly said that Slime was way more nasty.

I read the other thread about your problems with Ride On and am at a loss to explain what happend in your case. May have been a "bad bottle" ..do not know. Most shops do ask you to tell them if you have used any tire sealant in the tire , so maybe there is a special way to deal with the stuff..

All I know is I will continue to use the product until it does something bad to me. I do plan on getting new tires this spring, so I will make a point to ask the guy that installs them if he has any problems or comments about the sealant.

KM

Nope.

Took a toothbrush and brake cleaner to them and tried to clean the pistons as well as I could without disassembly. Even so, I pushed one out a bit too far and *pop*, out came the piston. Stuck it back in as quick as I could, but still had a big mess with brake fluid and now a new job of bleeding the brakes.

Back on the EZboard there was a discussion after my initial post that was lost. Common theme from those in the know was that SOME uneven brake pad wear is normal, however obviously mine was excessive. Now what I do is whenever I have the wheels off for tire changes, I try to do a quick cleaning of the exposed piston surface AND excercise the piston's travel. IOW, push all the pistons in and out to make sure they are not frozen. My brake pads are wearing much better now. They are still uneven, but only slightly so.

I obviously replaced the severe unevenly worn pads from the referenced thread ASAP. Well, I still have those same first replacement pads on 60,000+ miles later, though they are VERY due to be replaced and will be within the next week or so.
Good info, Thanks

I have it in all three of my bikes. Works as advertized. When I have new tires mounted I just let the mechaic know ahead of time and there has never been a problem. I was in Americade this past June and had new Metzlers installed on my HD. I spoke with the guy from the Metz factory about Ride-ON tire sealent and he had no problem with it. He did say that you should never put Green Slime in your tires but Ride on is good stuff. I put it in my new FJR last week....6oz in the front and 9oz in the rear as per their chart. How much of a mess can a few oz make.
Like I said in a previous post The Metzler factory guys didn't have a problem with Ride ON

Last edited by a moderator:
I have it in all three of my bikes. Works as advertized. When I have new tires mounted I just let the mechaic know ahead of time and there has never been a problem. I was in Americade this past June and had new Metzlers installed on my HD. I spoke with the guy from the Metz factory about Ride-ON tire sealent and he had no problem with it. He did say that you should never put Green Slime in your tires but Ride on is good stuff. I put it in my new FJR last week....6oz in the front and 9oz in the rear as per their chart. How much of a mess can a few oz make.
Like I said in a previous post The Metzler factory guys didn't have a problem with Ride ON
Ok.

<_<

The other problem I have with the idea of just putting the sealant in the tire from the beginning is that you do not know if you have a puncture sometimes.

"Ride On" tire sealant for motorcycles is NOT THE SAME THING as Slime. Most shops tell me that they hate Slime and it is a mess for them. Ride On does not cause any problems and does not "attract" moisture any more than air does ..(I have seen alot of air hoses at gas stations drip water out of them)

As for not knowing you have a puncture because the stuff plugs it, it is always advisable to examine your tires on a regular basis , and perhaps a bit more frequently if you use Ride On.

Ride On does not cause your tire to get unbalanced, as a matter of fact it can even help in this regard.

You can not compare Ride On to Slime or any other cheap knock off, it is a diffrent animal.

I still swear by it and have seen too many glowing testimonials not to use it.

KM

Well, another believer! The only thing that causes me some concern about using RideOn TPS in my FJR's tires is the possibility of corrosion. As you can see from Skooter's link he had a bad experience with RideOn causing corrosion. I haven't been able to examine my X's rims to see if they are corroded because the tire guy slapped on the new tires before showing me the wheels as I asked him to. He didn't seem to have trouble washing the RideOn off, however once again I didn't get a chance to observe.

I put it in the rear and will probably put it in the front also. I found on my X it actually enabled me to remove the wheel weights and the wheels were perfectly "balanced by the RideOn. I had the VTX1800C up to 125 on the speedo and it was solid as a rock. I've had the FJR up to 140 and no sign of wobble other than the one I've had with both sets of tires. A "shake" of the handle bars at around 30-45 mph. I don't think it is related to the tires either. Frankly I don't know the cause, but it doesn't bother me as it isn't severe.

This time I sprayed the inside of the wheel rims with an anti-corrosive and filled the tire with nitrogen. Hopefully the lack of oxygen will reduce/prevent any corrosion. I'll know when I put the next set of tires on and I'll try to take pictures and post them...If I learn how by then. :drinks: :dirol:

LC

i have had it in my last 2 tires, but last month I pulled a nail out of my rear , and the tire went flat. Stuff didnt seal. The nail may have been to large a diameter....but I was disapointed that it didnt seal. I have 2 bottles left, so will continue to put in the tire.
Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Did you ride the bike for a few miles after pulling the nail, as per RideOn's instructions? I pulled the nail and stuff started to bubble out. I immediatly took it for a ride and when I got back I couldn't even find the hole. Didn't lose an ounce of air afterwards either (YMMV)

LC

Both the Bridgestone tire engineer and the Michellin Tire Engineer at BMW-MOA last year said something to the effect of, "Hell no, don't use that stuff".

I don't use it because I don't want to deal with the mess, and have had limited success using it (or products like it) in other applications.

Does it work? I'm sure it does for some things.

I would use it to get out of a jam if I had too knowing that I'd still replace the tire at the first opportunity which, if you get a puncture you should probably do.

I think the primary reasons, was that the primary enemy of tires is moisture. When you get a puncture you open the seal that exposes access to the cords. Cords are 'steel' and they rust.

They had a couple examples of tires that were punctured, plugged, and then came apart months later after moisture had rusted the belts around the puncture.

No doubt you have moist air in your tire now, and at the rate most of us change tires using a product like this isn't going to make moisture worse. But once a belt is exposed, who knows?

Tires seem to be the primary thing that keeps me upright, so I don't wanna fook with em.

I am not a tire engineer, nor do I play one on TV. YMMV.