Rider Backrests

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Rider 07

Reaction score
I have always installed a rider backrest on my full dress touring bikes, however my seating position was somewhat different than on the FJR. As I research new custom seat options, the question about backrests comes up. For those of you that have used them on the FJR, did they improve your riding experience? Or did they turn out to be more of a hassle than they were worth?

Thanks!

Dave

When I had my Russell Day Long seat made I ordered it with a backrest, never could get adjusted quite right, put it on a shelf in the garage and haven't missed it

On some long trips, I've had enough luggage and gear (camping stuff too) that I needed the passenger seat for duffel bag storage. When it's placed right (and packed right, meaning no hard or pointy stuff against your back), the bag makes a nice backrest, and I find it very comfortable and relaxing to be able to lean back a little bit while riding. I've never had or used a "real" rider backrest, but I'm thinking I'd like it for long rides, especially if you could get rid of it when you didn't want it.

Of course someone with long arms may not agree with me, but...

With stock bars in the rear position, a backrest is nearly useless - you are just leaned ahead too far to really put any weight on it.

With HeliBars top clamp and bars in rear position - not bad, but you need to twist your torso just a bit to get enough reach on the throttle hand (assuming the left hand is off the grip) while leaning back on the rest. Its okay for long highway runs.

With my custom handlebar setup with less reach to the bars - the backrest is totally functional, but you know how much work was involved there. Just lean back, kick the feet up on the highway pegs, and relax...

If you get one, make sure it is adjustable so you can tune it a bit.

4285894233_82903e3021_o.jpg