Rider to Passenger Communication with radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmayhew

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a Rider to Passenger communication system. I've read 20+ posts trying to learn but I think I'm confusing myself.

I'm hoping if I post EXACTLY what I want, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

My perfect system would include the following:

-Wireless communication between rider and passenger (bluetooth?)

-FM radio (possibly XM or Sirius in the future)

-3.5mm jack for multimedia components.

I would like to get this installed this week (maybe even tomorrow!) but I'm just clueless and don't want to trust Mr. Clueless Salesman at the local bike shop.

Also, both my wife and I have very snug fitting full face Shoei helmets. How will a headset work with that?

TIA,

Michael

My best advice is to call Jeff at Bike Effects. A forum member, runs a good business, uses comm gear himself, and provides GREAT customer service. He will give you a forum discount as well. You can find him listed in the FJR Vendors Offers section. I have no affiliation and haven't met him face to face, I'm just a happy customer.

Need to get yourself a set of these:https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product...iderCommSystems

Bluetooth to each other and bluetooth to phone, mp3, gps, etc.

If your phone plays MP3's then that's even better. Just sync to the phone and listen to tunes until you get a call and then the phone call comes through.

Simple and easy set up.
Thanks for the link. It got me on the right track. That kind of setup was exactly what I was looking for but after a bunch of googling and reviews, it looked like people prefer the Scala Q2 over the Chatterbox.

I found the Scala Q2 Multiset (comes with 2 headsets plus input jacks) for $242 including shipping on eBay so I went ahead and ordered it. That's about $120 per headset which is much cheaper than any other system I could find and it does everything I want with rock solid reviews.

I'll post a review in a week or so.

If you want quality, I'd consider Autocom or Starcomm. A bit more pricey and the helmets are still tethered with a wire, but you wont be dissapointed. These systems are promarily a chaneel booster/cleaner that allows the connection of multiple divices including, GPS, Sattalite radio, Bike-to-Bike Comm, Cell phone and the like. As a 'stand-alone unit, it's already capable for rider-pillion communication and requires no other device.

BT (Bluetooth) is a novel idea in the motorcycle industry and progress is still needed to perfect this concept. Some of the bigger problems with BT include a lack of battery life and quality (ie. volume and clarity). Be sure to check reviews for whatever BT system you're considering.

hope this helps.

Sport

Thanks for the link. It got me on the right track. That kind of setup was exactly what I was looking for but after a bunch of googling and reviews, it looked like people prefer the Scala Q2 over the Chatterbox.
I found the Scala Q2 Multiset (comes with 2 headsets plus input jacks) for $242 including shipping on eBay so I went ahead and ordered it. That's about $120 per headset which is much cheaper than any other system I could find and it does everything I want with rock solid reviews.

I'll post a review in a week or so.
I'll put a plug in for the Scala system. I use it for both single rider with other bikes and for double riding. Q2 works like a champ. Happy with it after 3 months of use. Only item you'll need to get used to is the sound needed to activate the set for comms. To save battery time, the set will go to standby after about 25 seconds if you're not talking. To reactivate it, you need to speak loudly or make some other loud noise. Some frequencies work better than others in my set. I make a quick hissing noise and that brings it up. If you want the system up continuously, you can select that mode and the battery life will go from many hours to at least 5 (the most I've had it in that mode). Anyhoo, I think you'll be satisfied with the set.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using Q2s for almost a year now. We have run out of battery only once, that was after >18 hrs of 100% intercom, no VOX operation. There is no problem with volume once the mic is properly located. There is almost no wind noise at any speed. As straight communication devices they work great. My Garmin has a MP3 player and a FM transmitter, when I send MP3s via the FM connection to the Q2s the sound is much better than the FM radio built into the Q2s. It is almost possible to forget that the Q2s are mono only. My wife and I had been using a wired comm system but she was intolerant of the wires, so the Q2s have worked out really good for us. We don't do much talking but it is nice to have the option, especially on trips to new places. Just because you CAN talk doesn't mean that you have to fill 100% of the time with talk, we still like the sounds of silence.

There are too few buttons for all the functions, it took me quite a while to learn all the press once/twice, press 'n hold and press again within 10 seconds, etc.

When using the VOX the first word needs to be sharp, with hard consonants to initiate the session. I'm fond of the word BARK, my wife may not be so fond of my word selection :lol: My only complaint about the VOX is the delay between the VOX connection and being able to speak.

The FM radio works, but it needs more buttons to make it user friendly. IMO, the sound sucks for music appreciation but is plenty good for weather, news, sports and talk shows. As previously mentioned, when an external MP3 is either plugged in or FM coupled the sound is acceptable. Here in the Northeast it is really hard to find an open slot in the FM band to couple a device like a GPS to the Scalas. At this time I've given up trying to FM couple my Garmin to the Scalas. Even if I find an open station I quickly drive into another area of the region where that station is used and have to find another open band. Refer back to the statement about too few buttons making some tasks hard...

When riding alone I often yell at other drivers and say foul things about them with nobody to hear my rant but me. Then there are the occasional Turrets outbursts and sudden bursts of horribly off key singing. All fine when I'm alone. When we first started with helmet to helmet comm equipment my wife mentioned -- YOU SCARE ME SOMETIMES!!!! It is both the sudden shouting as well as the content of the outbursts that scare her :D I'm getting much better now.

I bought the new SCALA Q2 two weeks ago, set it up last week for simple rider to pillion connection and took it out this weekend with Mrs. Scorp. Two years ago I purchase the SCALA teamset and was moderately happy. This system is far superior. Not only does the VOX work better but the clarity and volume is unbelieveably good, even with the Scorpio helmets and their offset speaker placement under the cheek pad material. I can hear just fine, unbelievable. We are both very impressed especially for the price. After our trip, I took the SCALA teamset 'rider' from my older set and designated that one for Buddy intercom (pillion) for Mrs. Scorp. This is in preparation for our trip to NC next week. My brother can communicate as Primary buddy from his bike with my 2nd Q2. After successfully doing that I paired the Zumo to my Q2 and paired my Moto Razr to the GPS so that I could use the voice command from the helmet to phone out. The audio was really good. Sure there are some issues, getting all of it to work together, speaker placement (more a function of my head and helmet) and somewhat of a learning curve, but if you stick with it I think you'll be happy too. Heck, even if you use it for just rider-to-rider or rider-to-pillion its worth $250 bucks. It adds a whole new dimension for our rides especially since we use the bike to 'house hunt '. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the SCALA Q2 reviews. I'm excited because it offers the exact functionality I wanted at the cost I was wanting to spend.

I realize a Starcom/Autocom would be a superior system and Bluetooth isn't the best option for Bike to Bike communication but I'm only concerned about Rider to Passenger communication and from what I've heard, this SCALA Q2 setup will be fine.

My phone will play mp3's and internet radio via Bluetooth so I only have to pair the one device to get phone/music capability.

We used the Teamset for the first time this weekend and it worked fine. I don't have a bluetooth phone or gps so I can't comment on that function.

I rarely have a pillion but the Scala is a very good system.Have one, love it but rarely use it.Found mine on Craigs list.Most of the time I use my bluetooth mp3 equipped phone with my Ncom or just tune in the Stilleto.Wife hates motorcycles so no pillion for me!