Riding Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
Because I have a tendency to write a little much, I’ll just say I need some advice. I am in the market for a new pair of boots. What I’m looking for is a full-length boot that is waterproof. Price is not nearly as important as quality, fit and durability.

Here are two of the boots I am currently looking at:

The Sidi On Road Gore-Tex Boot and the TCX (formally Oxtar) Infinity Gore-Tex Touring Boot. The Sidi cost $325.00 and finding anything cheaper is pretty much impossible. While the TCX retails for $350, but I found them for $260.

As always, I'm fully open to suggestions. So now I sit back and let the forum help with my decision.

I own Oxtar Matrix GoreTex boots. I cannot speak for the Sidi... but the Oxtars have been rock solid waterproof for over 3 years so far.

I've been using an older version of the Alpinestars Web boot for about four years now, and they're still in great shape. Waterproof, good protection, and actually comfortable - both on the bike and while walking. $170 at NewEnough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Tour Master Solution boots, daily use for over 10 months now, have NEVER had wet feet. Comfortable enough to walk in when you get where you're going, too. Moto Depot has a good price, less than what's posted. Email 'em for the discount code and they'll be under a hunnert bucks.

I rode 120 miles in February from Pensacola to Panama City through torrential rain and 20-30 mph winds, had water on my face and when I stopped at a light near the end my gloves turned to buckets and got my hands wet. Otherwise perfect! Here's a rain map of that day, my route in black:

inm24HRFL_.jpg

They're also still waterproof after being scuffed in a stupid lowside in April, where I think they saved me from a broken ankle when my foot hyperextended. I got a good sprain, but could still put the boots on and off.

DSC_0014.jpg

I have a pair of Doc Martens slip on engineer boots that I love. Comfortable, secure, and I can wear them to the office. I also have a pair of tall Danner lace up hunting boots that are comfortable but not stylish enough for the office. Neither one screams "motorcycle" at you. Both were well under $150.

Sidi On Road Gore-Tex Boot....I have these,and love e'm....Totally (100%)waterproof/comfortable(best toe room ever for me)/has good cushioning on the pegs/sticky soil as well(wet/oil/loose stuff)........

I use THESE. Comfort is great, waterproof too. They also make a shorter one.

Disclaimer: This is the only motorcycle boot I have owned. Most are too wide for me with no means to adjust. (I have a thin, flat, foot.)

Love my Oxtar Infinity's - and would buy another pair in a heartbeat - have about 14,000 miles of riding on my current pair and they're still like new - comfy & dry too

Sidi On Road Gore-Tex Boot....I have these,and love e'm....Totally (100%)waterproof/comfortable(best toe room ever for me)/has good cushioning on the pegs/sticky soil as well(wet/oil/loose stuff)........
+1 I have had the Sidi On Road boots for 3 yrs now, never had a wet foot. I also have their shorter version of these boots, don't remember what they call them, but the toe box is different and much smaller, they are great boots , but run small due to the toe shape.

I have Sidi "canyon" boots. I've been through rain so heavy that the front tire was kicking up a wave off the roadway and over my feet..... not a drop penetrated and my feet stayed dry. Plus the "canyon's" have a lug sole that is comfortable over varied terrain. Hope that helps... not really the type you're looking at but I'd give Sidi a BIG thumbs up.

I've had some Sidi boots in past and always good. I'm on my second set of Oxtar Matrix boots (had the I and now II) and have the infinity and TCX air tech (got when still Oxtar and on sale). All of them are great, but the infinity is a tall boot and some feel it is a tiny bit harder to get the toe under the shifter (easily adjusted though) since it is kinda like a dual purpose boot. I've ridden many miles on my ST1300 with the infinity boots with no problem though. I've heard nothing but good things about the Sidi On Roads. The only thing for me is that the Matrix and Air Techs have spoiled me a bit by being so easy to get on and off with the zipper and velcro on the inside. Sidi boots and the infinity boots close on the outside and a little more time to get velcroed and buckled up but that is a small thing. You probably can't go wrong so get what is the best deal.

doctorj

I own Oxtar Matrix GoreTex boots. I cannot speak for the Sidi... but the Oxtars have been rock solid waterproof for over 3 years so far.
My Oxtar Matrix GoreTex are around five years old and outlasted my BMW GoreTex boots - which I think were made by Oxtar. They're excellent.

I just got a pair of the "On Road" boots about a month ago. They are taking a little to break in, but the more I wear them, the more I like them. I read several reviews, and the boots were generally considered to be the only ones the testers considered 100% waterproof, period.

One test even submersed them up to within an inch of the top of the boot for 24 hours in a bath tub (as memory serves) and they still didn't have any water in them.

I just got a pair of the "On Road" boots about a month ago. They are taking a little to break in, but the more I wear them, the more I like them. I read several reviews, and the boots were generally considered to be the only ones the testers considered 100% waterproof, period.
One test even submersed them up to within an inch of the top of the boot for 24 hours in a bath tub (as memory serves) and they still didn't have any water in them.
Here's a link to that test Click here

Picked up a pair of Teknic Violators on close out from newenough.com for $109. End of wet feet and all day long on bike comfort. My only complain with them is that if you do a bit of walking in them with your pants OVER them, they chafe my calves.

Price is not nearly as important as quality, fit and durability.
Here are two of the boots I am currently looking at:

The Sidi On Road Gore-Tex Boot and the TCX (formally Oxtar) Infinity Gore-Tex Touring Boot.

The Sidi cost $325.00 and finding anything cheaper is pretty much impossible.

As always, I'm fully open to suggestions. So now I sit back and let the forum help with my decision.
I just (abt 2 months ago) bought the Sidi On-Road. From this forum I found Washington Cycle (Washington, NJ) who will discount them and they were very pleasant to do business with. I have been very pleased with them. Do a Google search on them & you will find a very convincing review done by one of the mc mags (I forget which one). I can see these boots lasting me 10 years (I ride 20-25K miles a year).