Riding Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After about 6-7 years (so long, I forgot), my Alpinestars Effex Gore-Tex boots are ready to be replaced. I'm buying the same thing. They've been outstanding on and off the bike and in all kinds of weather.

parts411.com will sell them to you for about 180 if you call. I've had good and bad service from that company, but eventually worked things out.

I have a pair of bates boots, sort of a tactical boot. You can look them up on line. These are goretex lined, have laces in the front and zips on the sides. good support, sole, etc. When I read about the waterproof test mentioned above I did the same for these while I was able to return them (had not yet worn them outside). I put them on, stood in the bathtub with water over my ankles and they did not leak. I've since worn them in rain but have not walked through water in them. They are still water proof. I have a couple pair of waterproof sox I got from a hunting suppply store, too for added protection if I feel I'll be out in a soaker. The bates were about $100.

Lee

I have a pair of the Tour Master 3/4 height boots. Very comfortable and water-proof, but after only 3 months of use the tread on the soles is almost gone. I've written the company and am waiting for a reply. Doesn't do any good to have your feet slip out from you on a wet road when at a stop.

I loved my Oxtar Matrix boots so much I replaced them with the new version. You should be able to find them for quite a bit less than $260.

Edit: Oxtar Matrix GTX II Touring boot is only $167 at parts411.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a pair of the SIDI Canyon Gore-Tex boots this year from NewEnough and love them.

They do get pretty warm when the temperature gets to around 80ish though.

I don't think that you can go wrong with either of these boots that you're looking at.

I've got the Oxtar matrix gtx and really like them. They are comfy enough that you can walk around town when you get where you're going.

Cant go wrong with the big names really..but there is one above the pack....GAERNE (Gay ern) Check em out
Damn, Thug, we can't get those boots just on the chance someone might ask; "What kind of boots do you have?"

I have Tour Master Solution boots, daily use for over 10 months now, have NEVER had wet feet. Comfortable enough to walk in when you get where you're going, too. Moto Depot has a good price, less than what's posted. Email 'em for the discount code and they'll be under a hunnert bucks.
I rode 120 miles in February from Pensacola to Panama City through torrential rain and 20-30 mph winds, had water on my face and when I stopped at a light near the end my gloves turned to buckets and got my hands wet. Otherwise perfect! Here's a rain map of that day, my route in black:

They're also still waterproof after being scuffed in a stupid lowside in April, where I think they saved me from a broken ankle when my foot hyperextended. I got a good sprain, but could still put the boots on and off.

DSC_0014.jpg
Big DITTO on the TourMasters. Dry and comfortable in all conditions except extreme cold.

Wherever you order from, make sure they have a good return policy. Boots are a very subjective thing; what fits my short wide foot may not be comfortable for you. I've ordered and returned boots 3 times because there was no way I could bear them on my feet for a full day of riding.

For long days in the saddle, comfort is as important as function.

Craig

Craig said it. I can highly recommend www.Zappos.com!!! They ship instantly and free, and if the boots don't fit they pay the return postage. The woman who sold them to me sent me a nice personal postcard thanking me for my business. I'll never buy shoes anywhere else. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

B) I second the Oxtar Matrix Gor-Tex boots. 15000 miles and almost looks like new and the most comfy and water proof boots I have ever owned. $ 178.00 at Malcolm Smiths in Riverside Ca.

Dan

First, I want to say “Thanks” to everyone that offered their advice and their opinion. I tend to think there has been more R&D done in the purchase of my new boots than just about anything I have bought in recent times, except maybe for my FJR.

I have read more reviews; spoke with motorcycle apparel dealers and some manufacturers. I have visited several shops and spoke with as many people that were willing to listen about which pair of boots they thought to be the best for the money, taking into consideration what I was looking for in a boot.

About 99% of everything I was told about the Sidi On-Road GTX and the TCX (Oxtar) Infinity GTX was positive. I was even told that TCX is the manufacturer of BMW boots. Can’t say if it’s true or not. After taking everything into consideration the Forum readers have replied about, I tend to agree with what “DoctorJ” had to say; that both boots are top quality, so going with the best deal made sense.

Now I just have to wait for them to be delivered to see if I made the right decision, ‘cause unless it’s made of lizard or snake, you’re not going to find it in Havasu.

I had never heard of Parts411 until “ScooterG” brought them up. They have a great clearance on the left-over Oxtar boots at great prices. I wish I had checked with them several weeks back, as they don’t have anything that will fit me now.

Thanks again for everyone’s input!