Riding, close friends vs group rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
I'm 56 retired and love to ride my FJR. And although I don't mind riding alone it is more fun with good friends or people you know and whose riding abilities you trust. Riding on the weekends in groups on poker runs and that sort of thing frankly scares the bejesus out of me. Give me one, two or three riders and I'm fine. Problem is being retired it can be somewhat challenging to find friends to ride with during the week, due primarily to them still being in the rat race. Some of the best riding if not the best is during the week when the roads aren't so crowded. What is a good way to find others that would be interested in riding during the week ?

I agree that the large group rides for poker runs, etc., are scary. Too many inexperienced riders doing too many silly things, not to mention that a long line of bikes is dangerous in itself.

I prefer to ride alone, but if you're looking for others, try hitting the regional FJR meets like EOM. Try boards with more traffic, like sport-touring.net. Take your time there because that board clearly has a large squidly contingent, but when I finally went to one of their meet and eats, I met several riders from my area with skills far past mine.

And do a long distance rally or two. For me, that's been the best way to meet friendly, skilled and experienced riders who won't mind riding a few hundred miles just to meet up for a sandwich.

Agree, don't like group rides. There is just too much difference in riders experience and the performance of a mixed group of bikes. Personally I don't enjoy being a duckling. I do like to ride with 1-3 trusted friends but no more than that. Agree also that it isn't the easiest thing to find other riders during the day when retired.

I'm 56 retired and love to ride my FJR.
:blink:

I stopped reading right there. Screw you, pal!

:****:

PS I concur that big group rides are getting scary. And contact the local Gold Wing Riders group. Lotsa retired riders there. ;)
If my memory serves me well( forgot, I'm retired and maybe the mind is feeble!!) there are numerous VINTAGE RETIRED FJR 1300 riders out there. Also, we regularly attend the annual WFOs and are enjoying their life without having the need to WORK. Maybe you should give retirement a try, you might like it, well maybe NOT!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, break out the KY, TWN, 'cause I'm 62, retired and love to ride my FJR. But, I usually ride alone. Size matters! Don't like big groups but don't mind 2-3 other riders.

I'm not a curve blaster and ride w/in my own abilities, regardless of group size, but do enjoy my own brand of "spirited riding" thru the twisties...it's fun for me.

I agree w/ frayne...being retired, I like to ride during the week and it is challenging to find other rider friends to do the same.

I'm 56 retired and love to ride my FJR.
:blink:

I stopped reading right there. Screw you, pal!

:****:

PS I concur that big group rides are getting scary. And contact the local Gold Wing Riders group. Lotsa retired riders there. ;)
If my memory serves me well( forgot, I'm retired and maybe the mind is feeble!!) there are numerous VINTAGE RETIRED FJR 1300 riders out there. Also, we regularly attend the annual WFOs and are enjoying their life without having the need to WORK. Maybe you should give retirement a try, you might like it, well maybe NOT!!
TWN can't do that Turbodave.....he tastes are "TOO EXPENSIVE".....(read: "he couldn't afford himself if he retired")

Actually, I'm just jealous. I'll never see 'retirement'. Though, I can't wait until I hit my life goal of wearing a button festooned, blue apron while greeting all those Wally World customers! Heck, I might just be able to chase the ladies around the isles on my Zip'r mobility scooter!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm 56 retired and love to ride my FJR. And although I don't mind riding alone it is more fun with good friends or people you know and whose riding abilities you trust. Riding on the weekends in groups on poker runs and that sort of thing frankly scares the bejesus out of me. Give me one, two or three riders and I'm fine. Problem is being retired it can be somewhat challenging to find friends to ride with during the week, due primarily to them still being in the rat race. Some of the best riding if not the best is during the week when the roads aren't so crowded. What is a good way to find others that would be interested in riding during the week ?
Although not retired, I have a 7 on 7 off schedule so I have two weeks a month that I'm free to ride during the week. Post up a regional ride during the week and you might get some bites. If your "styles" don't mesh then move on, everyone should be big enough to accept the fact that you're not comfortable with their "pace" (at least that's what you can say) so tell em' you prefer solo rides the next time they call. I have a good friend that I ride with, but he's only available on weekends so I go solo a lot, not a big deal unless you slide off the road somewhere, THEN it's a big deal. Ah retirement..... with all my habits (see latest thread on Soltek HID lights), it'll be awhile!

Group Rides vs. Friends Rides

I was very troubled after leading many group rides in NorCal. I rode mid-pack and sweep a couple of times and the general disorganization and wide range of style/ability/technique wore on my conscience.

MY SOLUTION (Now instituted by Highlander and others): SHARED DESTINATION RIDES. If the ride is mapped out, break stops and lunch stops delineated, then separate into pairs or groups of 3 or 4 and enjoy the scenery, the friends and the ride. There's usually not much time difference between the first and last to arrive at lunch, and if you're using a small eatery, the first group can get up for the last group to sit down.

So far its working. Give it a try.

I was very troubled after leading many group rides in NorCal. I rode mid-pack and sweep a couple of times and the general disorganization and wide range of style/ability/technique wore on my conscience.

MY SOLUTION (Now instituted by Highlander and others): SHARED DESTINATION RIDES. If the ride is mapped out, break stops and lunch stops delineated, then separate into pairs or groups of 3 or 4 and enjoy the scenery, the friends and the ride. There's usually not much time difference between the first and last to arrive at lunch, and if you're using a small eatery, the first group can get up for the last group to sit down.

A big :good: on that!

I am not retired, and probably never will be able to. but I take days on when i feel like it. In fact I will be in Marrietta GA in a couple weeks Frayne, I just wont have a bike with me (cagin it with the Fam.). But hey if you got a spare, I'm game. :)

<snip>....it is more fun with good friends or people you know and whose riding abilities you trust.
Agreed. And, that's not too hard -- if you select the right club or group. IMO, it's pretty hard to find a riding pal -- someone who can ride with you when you can/want to ride. It almost has to be like another you....

What is a good way to find others that would be interested in riding during the week?
It might help if you didn't look so much like "Jack".... :blink: :huh:

And our group of two on 36 was a kick in the ass! From that point on, I often think of you by the nickname I gave you after following you that day, "Sparky" B)

Retirement is a long way away for me. But agree completely on the group rides thing... only time I've crashed a bike, guy in front of me (whom I knew prior) just panicked big time coming up to a left hand sweeper.

Got all over his brakes and almost locked em up, I had to go off the road or hit him. My inexperience at that time was a big part of it. Broken collar bone, ouch that hurts :this:

I found a bunch of good riders and very likeable folks at Two Wheels Only in Suches, Ga. There weren't many people there during the week but very over crowded on the wkend. So that's not so great but I enjoyed it immensely.

Regards,

I agree, never been a "groupie" rider. two-four is fine. Have an odd schedule, where I get days off during the week also, that's the best time to ride. The Lord willing, and the river don't rise, need about 6-8 more yrs for retirement.

I am 52 and not yet retired, but will be as soon as I get the last kid through school. :yahoo:

Back on topic, I enjoy group rides, rides with a few friends, and riding solo. Guess I just like to ride.

Hey I was going to PM you to see if you wanted to do some riding, but since you asked here.......

I'm retired, and really don't enjoy riding on the weekends since I'm so spoiled with less traffic during the week. There are some great roads out this way. I like to do a loop that goes over the Cherohala, then to Deals Gap and back home via 360 through Tellico Plains. It's about a 4 hr. ride from here including stopping for lunch somewhere. Lets go!!!

Vicki