Riding Gloves Recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
I am looking for a very comfortable pair of riding gloves, one pair for normal weather riding and one pair for cold/wet riding. Looking for gloves which will last me for a 1000+ mile day without undue discomfort or pinching etc, yet still has decent protection.

I am currently using a Cortech Sport glove as my normal weather riding glove, which has good (hard) protection on knuckles and fingers, but also has all kinds of stitching patterns with seams on the inside and the knuckle and finger protectors being made of a hard material start to pinch my knuckles and finger over a long ride or day after day of long rides, the seams on the inside are also no bueno.

I also have a winter glove which I loved until I got caught in a deluge and the gloves got soppy wet - I dried them out the best I could, but they have never been the same again (I think the lining has shrunk) comfort wise. Can't get that model anymore, so am in the market for a new pair of winter gloves as well, preferably waterproof.

I like and can deal with both these gloves for 8-12 hour rides, but would not want to deal with this irritant on a SS1K.

What glove(s) are you using? What would you recommend I look at?

Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator:
HELD Steve.

Winter gloves...I have some good ones...but in deluges (3-6 inches of rain), I have not found a glove yet that does not get sopped eventually.

Summer = ICON Pursuit (vented and protected) lamb and sheepskin (I think)

Rain = Aerostich 3 finger glove (or XXL rubber gloves for dishes) (good grip and dry) (no protection w/o something underneath)

Owen turned me onto Held brand gloves. The quality and leather they use is excellent. I run the classics, but Jim some other model.

It gets cold I put fleece liners in them.

If it gets really cold and I switch over to some snowmobile gloves.

I know overall quality is a big deal, but I would think that for everyone a big part of how comfortable they are is in the specific fit, depending on what kind of fingers you have; as in thick or thin and also as in how big compared to your palm. I tried several gloves for motorcycling over the years, the most comfortable (for me) have been Olympia brand with gel in the palm area.

This is my glove of choice right now, if I wear them out I'll buy them again in a heartbeat: Olympia 734 I am thinking of getting some liner gloves to go over these so I can wear them all year around.

Owen turned me onto Held brand gloves. The quality and leather they use is excellent. I run the classics, but Jim some other model.

It gets cold I put fleece liners in them.

If it gets really cold and I switch over to some snowmobile gloves.
Huge +1 on Held gloves. I have a pair of the original tan/black Steve gloves (the new version is the Steve II). Outstanding quality and very, very comfortable. Wash them with mild soapy water and use a good leather conditioner like Lexol once or twice a year and they'll last forever.

Thanks for the responses guys and gal. I should mention here that I am leaning more towards comfort factor when wearing those gloves for very long riding days, but also with decent protection. The other thread that TriggerT pointed to - the OP was looking more protection while sacrificing some comfort. I think it is important for me to find very good comfort because minor irritants tend to get amplified many times over on very long rides for example the 1200+ miles that GBU is requiring to be a finisher. Decent protection + very comfortable = What I really want!

I have had some Joe Rocket gloves that were very comfortable, the Phoenix III. Not out there any more, they have a Phoenix IV I haven't tried.

Hard knuckle armor, which I tested, and all-day comfortable. Short glove, some guys don't like that. They didn't come off in my get-off, but I didn't put my hands doan on the palms. They did have knuckle scratches, which I never felt in my hands. The ankle sprain would have made anything else pretty minor anyway.

My current summer glove is a Joe Rocket with Yamaha logo on the back. These are as comfortable as I remember the previous glove being, but I'm not sure I trust the closure - a small piece of Velcro is all there is.

My rain glove is an Olympia Wind-Tex, which I don't think is a current model. Waterproof until I have to stop, at which time they turn to buckets unless I hold my hands up like a doctor at the washing sink.

My winter glove is a Teknic Thunder, which is heavy enough to use as a winter glove, rain or shine.

I have the Held Steve and the Held Airstream, I also have Lee Parks summer and winter gloves, love both of them.

Sam,

I use the Cortech HDX gloves as my primary glove. I don't know if these are the same as the ones you just mentioned. I can wear them down to about 50 or so without any problems. I run Vstrom guards, but no heated grips. I just used them in the Cal24 - wearing them for 18 of the 24 hours. Totally comfortable all day long. I bet if I added heated grips I could push it down to the 40's easy.

For cold I found the Scorpion XDR Recon gloves to be my most comfortable option (short of wearing my downhill ski gloves LOL).

I just got a pair of Held Airstream gloves for summer, and I like them a lot. They're a little pricey, but so are my hands. The Airstreams replaced my Frank Thomas summer gloves that I also liked, but were too tight around my summer heat swollen thumbs and only lasted one season before blowing a seam. Vented summer gloves are a real nice touch in the summer.

My regular all around riding Alpinstars (I think) developed holes in the finger pads after about ten years. I think I'll replace them with either Held Steves or Racer High Ends.

WBill

Lee Parks and Held are on the short list so far. Might head over to Cycle Gear tomorrow and see what else I can find. If you have other suggestions please don't hesitate to speak up.

All help much appreciated.
clapping.gif

Take a look at Harley's FXRG gloves.

Yeah yeah yeah ... save the pirate comments.

I bought a pair a couple of years ago and they are incredibly comfortable and offer top-notch protection.

H-D FXRG Glove Clicky

In fact, my pair also won me a motorcycle, but that's a different story.

I am looking for a very comfortable pair of riding gloves, one pair for normal weather riding and one pair for cold/wet riding. Looking for gloves which will last me for a 1000+ mile day...
I rode a 2,800 mile ride with a buddy who was wearing HELD gloves and I witnessed them falling apart on that trip.

I have another buddy who can have any gloves he wants and he prefers the ones he bought at the Harley shop.