Riding Gloves Recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam.

Did some research for you.

Ran across these....endorsed by a forum member!

Ladies_Real_Leather_Gloves.jpg

Lee Parks and Held are on the short list so far. Might head over to Cycle Gear tomorrow and see what else I can find. If you have other suggestions please don't hesitate to speak up.

All help much appreciated.
clapping.gif
I don't think CG carries them.. and oh, what up with all the SS1k smack talk? The CBA is ever watching... :huh: ..

Last edited by a moderator:
First Gear Winter Dakota. Have had these gloves for the past 3 winter seasons. Great fall, winter, early spring gloves. Extremely durable, waterproof, with wiper to clear shield. Awesome gloves that fit my hands perfectly.

+1 Held Steve Glove for summer. I just bought the Racer High End Gloves to replace my worn Held gloves. The Racer are just not a comfy as the Held's but may have better crash protection.

Sam, go by A&S too. I bought a pair of BMW winter gloves for 80 bucks last year and really like them for winter warmth and comfort. Sometimes A&S will surprise you and have what you want at affordable prices.

I gotta say, the gloves I wear the most, especially in summer are simply some Mechanix Impact gloves. I like them, they are cool temperature wise, have slight knuckle protection, and a bit of Gel in the palm. They are real easy to do just about anything 'rally related' w/o taking the gloves off.

Caveat: they aren't likely to provide a lot of crash protection. But I've been whacked on the hands by rocks and debris and they've held up fine.

Caveat 2: They don't make them like they used too. The ones I prefer are vintage 2007/2008 design. I liked them enough that I bought a box of 10 on ebay when the newer models came out. I'm about to run out of them (also use them for yard work, etc.)

I have various other gloves for rain/cold, including heated leather Gerbings, some older Moose Winter MX gloves and the like.

I also really like a pair of leather summer Olympia Motorsports gloves. Very comfy with hard knuckle protection. When you find a pair you like buy 2 pairs. Watch for them to be discontinued and buy a couple more pairs.

-MD

Held Sprint's are my goto gloves, I just got a pair of Airstream gloves about 2 weeks ago and just returned from the UpperCan 400 rally wearing them. FANTASTIC. It was about 85F without the humidex, lets call it low 90'sF. Stick your hands out in the breeze and it was Ahhhhh time. The rest of me felt like a twice baked potato.. but my hands were comfy!

What ever gloves I use will always have some kind of knuckle protection. 3 years agao I got hit so hard by a rock, bolt? I'm not sure.......but it knocked my hand off the throttle. And just marred the cf protection without cracking it. I think if I had any less protection I would have had a busted knuckle for sure!

The most comfortable gloves I have ever tried are the Motoport kevlar racing gloves. They are slightly stretchy so they fit snug but do not inhibit motion. I wear them in warm and cold weather behind te V-Strom hand guards. They are not waterproof, but they dry quickly. :)

The most comfortable gloves I have ever tried are the Motoport kevlar racing gloves. They are slightly stretchy so they fit snug but do not inhibit motion. I wear them in warm and cold weather behind te V-Strom hand guards. They are not waterproof, but they dry quickly. :)
+1. Good from 45 degrees up to about 90 degrees for me. Love this glove.

Sam,

If you're still shopping, I'm with all the others who have endorsed the Held line. I have a pair of their Steve gloves, bought them in 2005 and still going strong, even after getting caught in a pop up T-storm that had copious amounts of rain, hail, the whole enchilada. My Held gloves got absolutely soaked, but dried out as good as new. They are Super comfortable (for that planned SS1K) so much so that I found a set of the original black/tan on closeout and bought a back up pair, but they are still in the bag.

For decent weather I prefer mechanics gloves. They allow a lot of free movement with no fold in the palm, and great tactile feel too. Mine survived a 60 MPH getoff 2 years ago. They scrubbed pretty badly, but did their job.

Snap-on Gloves

Disclaimer:I work for Snap-on, and I like our gloves, but there are several companies that make good ones as well.

In the cold weather I wear Polaris brand leather snowmobile gloves.

Joe

I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I need some summer gloves, and based on previous experience, once Sam makes a selection, that is the one to get. :clapping:

I'll wait for the decision before pulling the trigger. Meanwhile, my cutoff gloves from my cruiser days are getting a workout.

Not quite ATGATT at 105 F

USA201.jpg

Hey Sam, Just saw this post. I have a pair of ICON Pursuit gloves for almost everywhere. I just had to go 3XL instead of the usual XL. My link

When I hit a crazy rain storm in Oregon an soaked my "waterproof gloves" I found a pair of Shift waterproof gloves that were really reasonable and are super comfy.My link

After I have worn out too many leather gloves, including my BMW Airglide 2's I decided to try the MotoPort. Should have them today. A bit spendy but if I can get 3 years from them it will be more cost effective than the BMW airs.

Shall see and report after a couple of rides. Leather is wonderful but sweat and rain eats them up.

On a side I priced out a jacket and pants, 1600.00 for the pair! That is way too much for me to spend but I think their gear composition is second to none, and their armor covers chest and sides so much better then any other I have seen. However I cant get past the price but I am sure the first skin graph would pay for that 1600.00 pretty quickly in many ways.

Will let you know what I think as soon as I get the shine wore off them.

After I have worn out too many leather gloves, including my BMW Airglide 2's I decided to try the MotoPort. Should have them today. A bit spendy but if I can get 3 years from them it will be more cost effective than the BMW airs.

Shall see and report after a couple of rides. Leather is wonderful but sweat and rain eats them up.

On a side I priced out a jacket and pants, 1600.00 for the pair! That is way too much for me to spend but I think their gear composition is second to none, and their armor covers chest and sides so much better then any other I have seen. However I cant get past the price but I am sure the first skin graph would pay for that 1600.00 pretty quickly in many ways.

Will let you know what I think as soon as I get the shine wore off them.
Have to say the Cycle Port or Schoeller are the best glove I have ever owned. Two rides does not make a expert opinion however on both rides they were a pleasure to ride in. One ride 84 and low humidity, the other 82 and high humidity, both about 125 miles. One mostly highway and the other mixed with some stop lights.

The fit is good and they are still breaking in for sure. I wear a large and that is what fit, same as all my other gloves. The first surprise was in the looks department as I was not thrilled with the pics, but I will go function over form every time it comes to safety and of course riding gear hording. When I got them in my hands they looked OK, still not thrilled but in your hand and then on and looks go out the window.

As far as heat it is weird, being black they do not absorb heat. I went out of my way to buy gray gloves and clothing to ride in but the claim of not absorbing heat is true. In direct sun my gray jacket and pants felt hotter than the gloves.

The knuckle air scoops work but are subtle so dont expect mesh like cooling, but enough to do the job well. They did get warm in stop and go traffic and sitting still on either day was warm but that was all over just not my gloves.

I would not put these on to run errands in 85 degree heat where stop and go, dressing and undressing gear to shop and such. However If I know I am riding any distance I put them on and for me most rides are in the 50 to 100 mile ride.

I think they will be effective in cool temps also not down into the teens maybe, but I bet mid 30's and these will be fine. Today is 91 and very high humidity so I am going to try them out in traffic and on the road again just to be sure how they truly are in high heat and humidity. I also plan on putting my BMW AirGlide II's on to compare.

I did wear them in the house to bend and break them a bit and that did help in initial ride feel. The thing is the protection is second to none due to the material. And Kevlar is stiff and tough stuff so I expected a break in period but they are starting to get there. The stretchy material is way cool and makes fit very nice. I will say again I have never had a pair of gloves as nice as these and I am very confident in a crash, my hands going out by instinct, is no longer a concern for me. I am convinced these gloves will protect me better than any glove out there for street riding. Yes I have seen the robo gloves of other manufacturers and I could never get past that look, never.

So the shine is off a bit, the guilt of spending that much money on a set of gloves is not there any longer with no remorse, and I may have found glove Nirvana for me.

What glove(s) are you using? What would you recommend I look at?
Owen turned me onto Held brand gloves. The quality and leather they use is excellent. I run the classics, but Jim some other model.

It gets cold I put fleece liners in them.

If it gets really cold and I switch over to some snowmobile gloves.
I bought what Iggy recommended. Held Classics. I was leaning towards the Held Steve's but then I got a chance to try my friend's Steve gloves as well as the Classics, he had both. I found the classics to be more comfortable.