riding in the cold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a few days to ride with the Wife last week. Went down to Arkansas,(fantastic roads) up to Wisconsin, and back home to Minneapolis.

92 degrees, humid and sunny in Missouri and Arkansas.

43 degrees, windy, rainy in Illinois and Wisconsin.

Good gear, hot grips, added layers for the cold.

Lots of fun!

Shane

I get home from work at about 11 PM and tonight it was about 39 deg. Gerbing liner, Gerbing socks, heated grips. Hein Gericke Taureg suit, Diadora Hurricane boots, silk sock liners, RST insulated gloves. I am too old to be cold. The only thing that gets cold is my chin. I can live with it.

I stop riding when the salt and cinders go down or when it's freezing and there may be ice patches.

One thing I have noticed is that last month when gas went up, I would see more bikes than I have in twenty years of commuting (fifty miles each way). Today I saw not one bike going to or from work. It goes to show that the comfort of a warm car means more to most than the pleasure of a cold bike.

:)

It was 33° when I left for work the other day, near 60° on the way home (MPLS, MN). I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic two piece. A Widder II vest with Heatroller controller. 25 year old Hien Garick cold weather gloves. And Alpine Star boots. If it gets real cold I will wear a head sock. The coldest I have ever ridden in was 19°. I wasn't cold but at these lower temps the roads are very unpredictable. Frost and frozen spots can be tricky. One year (long ago) I rode until December 19th. Everything was good on the way to work but there was 5" of snow on the roads for the trip home. That was interesting!

With wind protection, layering, and electric heat you can ride as long as you want until the roads get bad.

Well, The coldest riding i have done this year was 39 degree's. I recently bought a 1st Gear Kilamanjaro jacket and waiting to get in in. The gear i have now for warmer days of 50 and above is a 1st gear mesh jacket and 1st gear dakota gloves.

I dont have any leg protection yet, But i will soon enough.

Adam

Cold is only another challenge for us to overcome in our individual quests for perfection of our skills. Besides the sauids and HD's are safely squered away in garages where they should probably be chained for the long term.

Somehow I am glad that I don't live where some of you folks ride. Here it is considered COLD when the temps come down to 60 and HOT when they go up to 85. However my pool in summer is normally around 87 [winter 55] have not touched snow in 30 years

Howard

Somehow I am glad that I don't live where some of you folks ride. Here it is considered COLD when the temps come down to 60 and HOT when they go up to 85. However my pool in summer is normally around 87 [winter 55] have not touched snow in 30 years
Howard
Ok, You must live in San Diego with that weather! Must be nice to ride ALL year long! :diablo: ;)

I cold ride regularly in the winter months. As a matter of fact I'm more likely to ride in the winter as opposed to summer... but the winters in VA are fairly mild most of the time. The temps do get down below freezing but there are plenty of days when it's up in the mid 30's to 40's & even 50's where it's warm enough for me to ride.
Me too! I ride more in the winter. Just not as far.

This will be my first year with the FJR. My previous winter's bike was an R1150GS BMW which for all intents and purposes is semi faired. The coldest on my garage wall thermometer was 12F. I rode 34 miles to work @ 6a.m.

My gear is as follows:

Fieldsheer textile 3/4 jacket with liner.

Balaclava (open face w/ no neoprene..shoves my mustache back up my nose)

Fieldsheer overpants non insulated

Regular leather hiking boots sprayed with leather protector (for the rain)

Olympia insulated gloves

Gerbing Jacket with the cheapo $10 ON-OFF switch

and my lid

That's been my gear for the last 6 winters. Aside from having to replace my switch 2 times, it has been without failure.

I've ridden a Hayabusa all winter, and a naked bandit 1200 BRRRRR!

Heated grips are good for me when it's 40 degrees or warmer. My winter gloves insulate to the point of not allowing heat from the grips to reach my hands.

The FJR is without a doubt the best winter bike so far. I haven't worn my over pants yet this year and it's been in the 30s a few mornings. That's a first.

Howard
Ok, You must live in San Diego with that weather! Must be nice to ride ALL year long! :diablo: ;)
Nope, That my friend is a South African flag, therefore I live in a land far far away [from America]

Howard

I ride when it is warm enough that I don't have to worry about ice on the roads. The fairing and adjustable windscreen make a big difference when it drops below 40F. I layer on a hooded sweatshirt under my normal jacket and the only things that get cold are my hands and lower legs. Yeah, I know, I need better gloves and overpants, just haven't found a local shop that has enough stuff in stock to find something I like in my size.

And now I see the wear indicators on my back tire. They started showing on Friday and they are expending quickly. Gotta order tires today. I won't ride in heavy rain with tires wearing thin.

Yea, Winter is comming. it dipped down into the 60's here in SoCal!

Hey Rogue!! :****: :****: :****: :****: :****: :p :p :p

From the rest of us in the Great White North!!!

Gimme a clean road and I'll ride at Zero. Been there done that. Heck folks, we ride snowmachines at 20-30 below. We're now in the nether-land here. Not enough snow to ride sleds, and too much ice to ride bikes. :blink:

Take a look at some of the pixs in the NH ride thread. In the thirties on the mountain peaks with a 100 mph wind ;) Given enough fun the temperature goes away.

Alan

Had to pull the liner out of the jacket today. It's 80 right now. Supposed to cool down, though. Predicting 70's for the weekend! Brrrrrrrrrr! :p :haha: :taunt:

We got over a foot of snow last Tuesday but its just about all gone now so tomorrow we finally get to ride again :) :cold:

Howard
Nope, That my friend is a South African flag, therefore I live in a land far far away [from America]

Howard
Howard,

Where in SA do you live?

I lived in Amanzimtoti, South of Durban, for 11 years between '68 and '79. We always rode bikes as it was unusual for kids to have their own cars.

Sure would like to be riding around the South Coast again.

Here's a nice sweater that works well under my standard issue leather jacket.

LL Bean Commando Sweater, Crewneck

The sleeves are long, meant to be worn with the cuff, but you can roll 'em down to make them fit thru the glove gauntlet/jacket sleeve junction. Only $39.00, too.

Also never fill the tank more than half way can make for a dandy leg warmer, just the opposite of summer riding.

Ride till the snow flies. After that the sand and salt will eat the crap out of the paint.

Pepperell (NORTHERN Massachusetts where it's REALLY cold, not like warm Worcester!!) :bleh: