Riding my FJR when it's 107 outside

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5lbtrout

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure what to expect on my first hot day of riding. Last year this time, I was riding a nekid bike without any fairings and small windshield. I thought maybe I needed to get a summer bike.

Well, when it's above 100 degrees, it really doesn't matter what you ride, it's hot.

I had cut my stock shield 3 inches to get more airflow. I also wore my cooling jacket under my Airglide 2 jacket. It worked O.K. When it's in the mid 90's, I can really feel the evaporative effects. But when it's above 100, I don't know how much it helps.

I can say that when it's that hot, mesh pants are not so effective. It's better to have solid pants to keep the hot air out.

Another thing that would help is protecting the neck area, so hot hair doesn't go into the helmet.

Overall, I can say that I wasn't any hotter riding the Gen II FJR than riding my SV in that temperature.

I ride in hot and humid conditions quite often, being that I live near the equator. My jacket and pants are all mesh and I get lots of air flowing into it. Never stopped to think that solid pants could do a better job until you mentioned it - although I actually do wear regular pants, sometimes jeans, underneath my mesh riding pants to keep my legs frying from the engine heat in stop and go situations.

Either way, what I do to cope is to ride with the screen all the way up, and my visor open, but my sun visor down. I find that as long as my face and head are not sweating, the rest of my body is ok.

First time I'm hearing about cooling jackets. Will have to give that a go.

There's a point in the air temp where you're better off to keep the zippers closed to keep the hot air off of you. I find around +105F with my Roadcrafter. Just keep your cooling layers wet. Ice in your pockets also helps.

I find that after a point, there isn't a lot you can do but keep the sun off you and button up try to stay alert. I commute everyday here (113 deg yesterday), and wear a Tourmaster Draft jacket and my full face helmet, gloves and Frank Thomas boots. It works, but to say it's comfortable would be a stretch.

A hydration pack is a must fer me in the heat of Az! I have my drink'n tube hooked to my belt loop with a wallet retracting string thing attached.

AeroStich provides a wonderful item called an Evapodana. It is a large bandana made of some very absorbent material. You soak it in water and hang it around your neck. With a few of your suit vents open to the moving air, it creates an evaporative cooling environment. it works great for several hours.

There are several "cooling vests" available as well, but I am very happy with this unit. It has worked effectively for years.

I have been happier with my Roadcrafter with a few stretegic vents open and evapodana, rather than a mesh suit that just lets the hot air in.

:clapping:

I took a nice ride today in central TX this morning. It was in the mid 80's with cloud cover. But down here when its 100, it feels like 110 with he heat index. when its that hot I lose the jacket and wear jeans and a T'shirt. Hospitals are airconditioned :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been 104 - 106 here in Sacramento for the last few days. I'm comfortable enough with my Fieldsheer mesh jacket and Carhartts double layer canvas dungarees when it's this hot. I do notice hotter-than-normal air on my shins and lower legs but that's nothing like the crotch cooking I used to get from my Vulcan V-twin each summer.

When it's hotter than body temperature (98 degrees or so) it is hard for your body to cool itself. Evaporative cooling works to a point if you have dry air flowing over your skin. If the humidity is high, like summers in the South and East, fugedaboudit. The Evapodana and cooling vest only make you feel wet and hot. In fact, in high humidity and temps above 98, more aire flow only makes you hotter. As mentioned above, time to zip up, pack your jacket pockets with ice, or find a nice cool place to chill-out. Sometimes it smart to take the car.

pete

cooling vest...cooling bandana...all necessary here in south Looziana June-Aug

my "heat index" thermometer on the bike has shown 111F one day at 3pm coming home on the interstate slab. I cringe big time when there's construction or an incident which brings the traffic speed down to 5mph.

in addition, hydration is important, but I also carry another supply of water to pour on me

in the trunk is 5-10 bottles of .5l water, and four in a little $5 six pack size soft ice chest from Wal Mart. I like the plastic insert which holds ice and bottles well.

I used to loosen the cap and freeze maybe 4 of the bottles of water which stay cold and refreshing for many hours.

I have a cupholder for primary use including while in motion. I usually am pouring that water down the front of my jacket, usually inside the cooling vest.

I also have two neopreme wraps that can snap hook to eyes at the front of my tank bag for two more bottles of water available.

I can pull and place an empty bottle into my tank bag and then slide another full bottle out of a wrap and place in the cup holder for continual use.

My highway pegs allow my legs/feet to either be out in the wind or tucked behind the side fairings. When desparate, I will pour water on my thighs and lower legs and stick them out in the wind. Be careful, though, if you carry your wallet and cell phone in the pants pocket(s) doing that.

4747233412_53d43a1ba7.jpg

Hottest I've ever ridden was 116 in the Central Valley... cooling vest, ice down various clothing items, etc. Ain't nothing gonna beat that heat... just make sure you hydrate as much as possible and allow for frequent breaks... in the shade!

let me add: emergency info

my phone has my wife's phone #'s labeled ICE for emergency personnel to fine (In Case of Emergency)

I also have an emergency info sheet right there clipped to the tank bag on the bike

printable Emergency Information Form CLICKY

I also have one right behind my driver's license in my wallet

my doc says the biggest concern is for them to easily find my list of medications with doseages

he mentioned my bipolar med is lamictal, and like many of them, they were developed to control seizures. The longer I take it, the more concern is if I skip or stop it cold turkey, I'm actually suseptical to having a seizure. Brain chemistry is a funny thing.

4746655083_71421af971.jpg

4746655101_f42858948c_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hottest I've ever ridden was 116 in the Central Valley... cooling vest, ice down various clothing items, etc. Ain't nothing gonna beat that heat... just make sure you hydrate as much as possible and allow for frequent breaks... in the shade!
Don't know if you recall that 2 week heat wave in late July/early August 2006. I was back over on this side of the mountain looking for a place to live for a move from Gardnerville, NV. One of those afternoons, at 112 degrees, I was stuck on 193 between Cool (it wasn't) and Greenwood -- they were doing some paving and had traffic stopped for 10 to 15 minutes. Thought I was gonna pass out in my mesh jacket with evap vest that wasn't getting any air circulation.

Looked at one place in Garden Valley before calling it off for the day, turning around and beating it for my buddy's house (and pool) in Christian Valley for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

Just say no to anything over 103 or 104.

Don't know if you recall that 2 week heat wave in late July/early August 2006.
I believe that would be the same time frame... ick!!

One of my favorite tricks on a super heated 115+ afternoon ride back from Oakhurst, past Fresno, then across the Central Valley is to stop at a gas station that advertises that it has ice. I get off the bike at the pump, and run to the rest room, but on my way there, I stick my helmet upside down on top of the ice bags (blocks are even better). On my way back from the pit stop (prolonged for as long as is redeemable), I retrieve aforementioned helmet and go on my frosty way.

The other way to go is to consult with a Sahara Arab (an Algerian). There is a reason for the long robes and a turbans that cover every inch of the skin during long slow treks across the desert sands (it is the human body temp which is 98.6 F). If you don't exceed that temp, then your blood won't boil/dehydrate (as fast) = insulate. Sometimes I wear a body armor shirt like a Bohn, then put on the thickest, bulkiest whit sweatshirt that I can muster, but not until it is completely drenched to the dripping point with a water hose. then back on the bike.

Remember, when the sun is beating down light colored garments are your friend, black is the enemy.

..Just my CO2

Share some of the same things in combating the heat down south.

Use that Walmart Cooler (referenced by patriot) that things works very well and fits in the trunk or the side saddle

comfortably.

I've tried removing the shield from my modular g-max and riding with just glasses w/helemet, and I agree with above; keeping the face and head cool with some airflow makes a great difference, however raccoon eyes will flare up. So I kinda go back and forth between the two..

I usually Freeze 5 bottles of water and when I pack the bottles before the trip, I put 4 in with 2 room temp waters. Place the other single in the bottle holder.

They usually get the water pretty cool by the time we need it. I usually ride with a group of cruizers, and I always laugh when they have to stop and go buy that pricey water when we gas they gas up, I just reach in the cooler and grab a cold one. I have noted, that the factory trunk does insulate very well. I have placed frozen bottle drinks in it w/o cooler and after a hour of riding later, they are still pretty solid.

Funny, I had a frozen bottle of water in my bottle holder (center of my tank) when I left on a trip headed north. When I got to conroe 30 min away, and was ready for a sip, the bottle was plumb thawed out and hotter than room temp...Ha Ha Ha, just laughed and said, that's Texas heat.

Just remember to hydrate well before any trip.

When it's that hot I'd rather drive in my air conditioned car, no reason to be that miserable bike or not.