Riding my FJR when it's 107 outside

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a trip down to the Smokie Mountain National Park, the thermometer on the bike stayed between 97 and 102 for most of the trip. I wore blue jeans and ended up burning my left leg just above the boot line. Got a blister about 2" by 1" which has now scabed over. The Gen II may be better at heat management, but it could still use some improvement. I am now looking for some sort of riding pant that will help protect me from this happening again. Winter is too long up here in Michigan to also surrender half the summer because it's too hot.
64Y80....give Carhartts double-layer work dungarees a try. They're made from heavy-duty cotton duck material that provides better protection than any pair of jeans. You'll still feel the engine heat on your shins but it's more of a noticeable warmth rather than outright rocket exhaust.

I've worn them in light showers along the coast and they keep me dry enough to continue without stopping for the rain gear. They also provide decent warmth in the winter.

I get mine from our local tack and feed store for about $35 or $40. I find them a nice compromise between no protection and full-on ATGATT.

https://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ategoryId=10935

I just did a trip down to the Smokie Mountain National Park, the thermometer on the bike stayed between 97 and 102 for most of the trip. I wore blue jeans and ended up burning my left leg just above the boot line. Got a blister about 2" by 1" which has now scabed over. The Gen II may be better at heat management, but it could still use some improvement. I am now looking for some sort of riding pant that will help protect me from this happening again. Winter is too long up here in Michigan to also surrender half the summer because it's too hot.
64Y80....give Carhartts double-layer work dungarees a try. They're made from heavy-duty cotton duck material that provides better protection than any pair of jeans. You'll still feel the engine heat on your shins but it's more of a noticeable warmth rather than outright rocket exhaust.

I've worn them in light showers along the coast and they keep me dry enough to continue without stopping for the rain gear. They also provide decent warmth in the winter.

I get mine from our local tack and feed store for about $35 or $40. I find them a nice compromise between no protection and full-on ATGATT.

https://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ategoryId=10935
Thanks, I'll give them a try. I've got the famous $10 K-Mart jeans. Guess I got what I paid for. <_<

Ran up to Oklahoma from south of DFW this weekend to see a friend...

ok, it was a bit warm. About 106 going up Sat, and about 104 Sunday...

But thanks to this lovely forum, I had lots of water to drink... :yahoo:

Pic shows one side, I had the hose and bite valve in the cooler on the other side...works very well.

Only use one side at a time, switch lids if I need to. A bit of a pain, but stays cold longer.

Next I'm going to make a liner from alumionized foil stuff, the ice should stay icy longer.

The cooler covers are blue, cause they were to match my blue 05 FJR. Oh well.

At least the bike is easy to see! :rolleyes:

And yeah, the bike is spitting gas or oil from somewhere. It doesn't like the heat any better than my b.f. does...he wuz whipped. Wuss! <LOL>

And he has a lounge on wheels, 1994 Wing, no wind, no noise , insulated cup right there. he does wear a 3/4 helmet.

Only bad thing was the bike took a nap right at the bottom of Paul's driveway. Every previous time I've been there, it was raining and muddy. No problem. Seems dry gravel and powered dust make road marbles. Next time will be a right angle turn. Oh well. :angry:

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Just busted off 600 miles into the hills of NW Arkansas from North OKlahoma. The OLE FJR is quite comfy. Loved every minute. Heat index 115

I try not to ride in anything above 105 for any extended period of time regardless of my preparation. I have things to keep me cool but it is just not fun. Put me in the cold stuff and I can go pretty low but I have been in heat at 117 (long ride through Death Vally) and it was miserable.