Riding Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, yeah, I wear my Cortech overpants...most of the time. I confess that if I am just riding in my small city downtown, when speeds will not go over 40 mph, and distances not much more than a mile, I skip the pants, wearing my helmet, dedicated jacket, boots and gloves. I have crashed in jeans at those speeds, and didn't get too bunged up. It was probably because the street was wet, but that was (mostly) what caused me to crash in the first place. Otherwise, I go ATGATT, figuring that as many years as I have been riding, the odds are building against me. Crossing my fingers, WBill

Just finished a ride in the south, from Houston,TX to Pensacola,FL.

Temps range from 85-100 during the ride.

I wore my Moto Air pants from Cycle Gear and they were great.

I have been wearing them over my work pants and it's not bad at all.

I did wear a pair of regular shorts under the pants and then with just athletic briefs;

each were equally comfortable. Kept them on the whole time, even while walking on the beach.

Even though in my freeway crash, I had on dockers and a Speed and Strength "Devils in the Details" jacket,

I experienced very little road rash. A tad scratch on the elbows, and that was because I bought the jacket too big.

But, I went with the air mesh pants now, and I will continue to wear them.

I bought a Scorpion, vented, leather jacket. It's crazy well made and comfortable. The liner blocks the pinhole vented areas.

So first chance I got, I bought the Scorpion "Deuce" riding pants. They're mesh pants with hip and knee protection and a great liner. Liner out, nice and cool. Liner in, warm and dry.

Oh, and of course, LD Comfort undies!

Anyone have any experience with the BMW City2 pants?

somewhat of a review

bmw_city_2_trousers_pants1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a good combination of leather and mesh overpants. I don't know if they are for sale anymore. The are from Vent Tech. Full leather with padding on hips, knees and butt. However, mesh in crotch and back of knees. They zip up the inside of each leg.

The only downside of the zippers on the inside of the leg is, it tends to scrape up the plastic sides. Best would be if the zippers would be on the outside.

After years of riding in regular jeans I decided to try the Cortech DSX jeans. I gave them away. Unless you have legs like tree trunks, they fit far to loose to allow the knee/shin armor to be effective. I ended up with Tourmaster Venture Air pants. I wear them as overpants up into the 80's and alone at higher temps. Once I got used to them I feel nekkid without them. Another point to ponder: zipper attachment of pants and jacket make both more effective as they are more likely to remain in place during a slide along the pavement. As far as jacket cuffs being secure, I highly recommend gauntlet style gloves for extra insurance. I tell every person considering taking up motorcycling that their budget should include at least $500 for protective gear.

Anyone have any experience with the BMW City2 pants?

somewhat of a review

bmw_city_2_trousers_pants1.jpg

These are great anything 80 degrees and down, they have no ventilation but fantastic knee and shin armor, not bad hip armor (could use a little more though) and fit just like jeans. Med fit me like they were made for me. 5'10 33w 32L - Keep in mind they are riding pants so they are a little longer in length so they cover your boots when sitting.

This is one area I have yet to delve in to. I wear ATGATTMOTGATT, ....Honestly I need to spend some time and read more ...Soooo much info.

I have two, potentially catastrophic, words for you: necrotizing fasciitis

Look at the part under Prevention and imagine how much skin you'd have to "clean thoroughly" in a get-off when you're wearing dockers or jeans.

And for the rest of you who wear jacket, gloves and helmets but not boots? .....I'll remind you of my patient from almost 3 years ago: a military groom riding to meet his bride who was wearing "everything except boots" (MOTGATT) - he was wearing his dress shoes. He had a bad compound fracture to his foot and after surgery to attemtp to save the foot, he ended up losing his leg at the knee. (he DID get married the following year :) )

So, guys and gals....ATGATT. Just sayin'
Yah yah yah I know :( Im working on it!