Riding Shoes or Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ609Eagle

Reaction score
I just recently upgraded my summer mesh jacket from a Joe Rocket Phoenix to a Olympia Switchback 2 and pants from Joe rocket to Rev'It Toranado.

But now i'm looking for a few good footwear recommendations. Most of my riding is highway commute to work, and then i would change into my work shoes. Other riding is typical weekend enjoyment.

I'm leaning towards the AlpineStars S-MX1 but would like to here other suggestions.

I just recently upgraded my summer mesh jacket from a Joe Rocket Phoenix to a Olympia Switchback 2 and pants from Joe rocket to Rev'It Toranado.
But now i'm looking for a few good footwear recommendations. Most of my riding is highway commute to work, and then i would change into my work shoes. Other riding is typical weekend enjoyment.

I'm leaning towards the AlpineStars S-MX1 but would like to here other suggestions.
Hi!

I have been using a pair of Alpine Start half boots, closer to the S-MX3 in style, and I love them. I've had these since I purchased the FJR in 2011 and have 3 long trips with them. I wear them all day long and they are very very comfortatble. Furthermore, I feel they offer excellent protection and are very durable. The sumemr boots I had previously had lasted me only two seasons. I am from Montreal Canada and I stretch my riding season from late March to almost mid November. I wear the Alpine Stars from late April to end of October.

So in summary, I highly recommend Alpine Stars products!

I bought a pair of the high top sneaker style once and they didn't last for sh*t. I'm currently using a pair of maverick cruiser boots that are nearly 2 years old and are just about due for new soles. Daily commuter and I'm lucky that my job doesn't require me to change into dressier shoes. You could always just get a sleeve that slips over the left toe that would protect your work shoes from scuffing?

I've just recently upgraded to wearing motorcycle specific riding boots. I bought a pair of TCX plus 5 evo Gore Tex boots at the Revzilla store in Philadelphia early this month. So far my impressions of them are very favorable. I've probably only got about 500 or so miles on them and so far no rain to test the waterproof abilities. Easy on and off, comfortable enough that I wore them at work one Saturday for 6 hours on concrete floors on my feet.

Check them out.

... You could always just get a sleeve that slips over the left toe that would protect your work shoes from scuffing?
I hope that was suggested with tongue in cheek. I strongly advise against anything other than motorcycle-specific boots. If in any doubt, read my experience here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do the same as you commute and wear the same over gear in the summer

i have been buying tourmaster Response 2 Waterproof wear them all year round, some protection and are waterproof so if we ever get any rain i dont get wet feet for teh day ahead and i dont feel my feet are too hot.

One thing i will add re higher boots and shins - as well as the protection in an off, these are lower and so i get hot shins off the engine in the summer.

Please don't wear anything that doesn't give good protection to your ankles.

They are easily smashed, and rarely repaired effectively. It's just not worth it.

Personally I despise low-top boots for riding. I wear overpants for gear, and my regular pants always catch on the top of low boots, and gather up around my calves and it's ANNOYING!!!!!!! They don't crawl up my leg if the boot is tall enough to stay inside the pants leg. I'm wearing some Alpinestars Ridge boots right now that I thought I could live with, and THESE are too low!! (They also have no ankle armor which was disappointing. An assumption on my part that they had it, but I just didn't think Alpinestars would make a cheesy boot.....)

I haven't been in the rain with them yet but I'm pretty sure my rain pants will stay down over the tops of them, as they have stirrups to go under the boot.

My previous boot of choice for years has been the Tour Master Solution, but now they have the Solution 2.0 which have let my feet get wet, thus the Ridge experiment......

It's not something I would do, but there are sales guys I work with who do that. It's definitely better than a lot of the college crowd out here who wear flip-flops, shorts, tank tops, and ball caps turned backwards. Personally, you won't catch me without full gear, especially after seeing the damage to my jacket, boots, helmet, and even gloves after a wreck a few years back had me ragdolling down the road at 40mph after bouncing off a camry's windshield.

Are you talking about his low boots or my overpants? Just asking because with your post after mine, i wasn't sure which you were responding to....

As for the overpants, I've tested them. Twice. Still wear the same type.

Sorry, that was in response to post 6 regarding the toe protector over regular work shoes (which I assume are oxfords or brogues).

I bought a pair of the high top sneaker style once and they didn't last for sh*t. I'm currently using a pair of maverick cruiser boots that are nearly 2 years old and are just about due for new soles. Daily commuter and I'm lucky that my job doesn't require me to change into dressier shoes. You could always just get a sleeve that slips over the left toe that would protect your work shoes from scuffing?
Not worried about scuffing, more so about the shoe falling off

I've just recently upgraded to wearing motorcycle specific riding boots. I bought a pair of TCX plus 5 evo Gore Tex boots at the Revzilla store in Philadelphia early this month. So far my impressions of them are very favorable. I've probably only got about 500 or so miles on them and so far no rain to test the waterproof abilities. Easy on and off, comfortable enough that I wore them at work one Saturday for 6 hours on concrete floors on my feet.
Check them out.
Revzilla is definitely a source to get decent reviews, but Anhony only has one shirt

Seriously though, that would be where I plan to tray a few pairs out.

Not worried about scuffing, more so about the shoe falling off
You get to wear slippers for work?! I want your job!

I know this has been discussed before but I need boots that will handle big calf's.

Any recommendations?

Motorcyclegear.com has Sidi Tour and On Road boots on closeout for a good price. These are all leather with genuine Gore-Tex lining, ankle and shin protection, etc.

I'm trying TM Solution 2.0s for the first time. Got off to a rocky start, they're getting better after a few walking sessions and some miles. Hoping they're waterproof!

--G