Rid'n Britches (2007 Lineup)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orient_Express

Fire Base Ripcord Association
Reaction score
I have always worn a helmet, gloves and leather / textile jacket, but a family member says I need to get my buns into some protective pants as well. I believe he has made several good points about the "why".

What do you guys like and why do you prefer the ones you wear over the other pants available?

I'd like to have the following as far as features:

1) Hip and knee armor

2) Liner for colder weather

3) Full length zipper on both legs for easy on and easy off over jeans.

Not partial to any particular brand or whether they are waterproof - just wants something fairly vesatile and comfortable for LD.

Thanks in advance...

I've had a few pairs of pants, and after much research and trial and error, if I had it to do all over again, I'd clearly go with the Olympia Air Glide Pants

mensairglidepant01.jpg

1) They don't look stupid

2) They come in a color other than black!, Silver seems a hell of a lot smarter and cooler to me.

I already have plenty of jackets, and a pair of these pants is probably next on my list before I get a Stitch which I probably should have done a long time ago and saved myself a tone of $...

I've been using a set of these Fieldsheer Pants for one season. The pants so far seem to be well made, no problems with zippers, snaps, etc. The quilted liner removes easily and is windproof and warm.

--G

I have always worn a helmet, gloves and leather / textile jacket, but a family member says I need to get my buns into some protective pants as well. I believe he has made several good points about the "why".What do you guys like and why do you prefer the ones you wear over the other pants available?

1) Hip and knee armor

Not partial to any particular brand or whether they are waterproof - just wants something fairly vesatile and comfortable for LD.

Thanks in advance...
I guess I am still stuck in old school thought but I do like the Icon Denims.They have six different styles of denims with either the Hooligan style or Anthem being my favorite.Wont break the bank to badly either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the same trou as Renegade and love 'em! They are overpants, but seem to be cut somewhat smaller than the FirstGear overpants. I wear the Olympia by themselves and as overpants. They also come with a waterproof, insulated quilted liner for wet/cold wx. Great trou! And it is nice not having to wear black with the sun beating down on you.

I've been wearing the BMW summer riding pants the last few years.

They keep me cool in GA summers, comfortable, have knee pads and you can order the CE pads for femur and hip. Well worth the $$

72607681074.jpg

Steve

anything that I wouldnt have to sell a kidney to buy?
Try 1st Gear Air Mesh. Even tho' they're black, I find them to be great in hot weather and they offer decent protection in case of a fall.

Cycle Gear in Raleigh carries them ... ask for Jacob.

JW

I have always worn a helmet, gloves and leather / textile jacket, but a family member says I need to get my buns into some protective pants as well. I believe he has made several good points about the "why".What do you guys like and why do you prefer the ones you wear over the other pants available?

1) Hip and knee armor

Thanks in advance...
OE,

i'm partial to aerostich. whatever you decide, i'd suggest you get something that has the ability to zip to your jacket. you don't want your jacket sliding up in a slide, and the full circmuference zipper, or even the mini-zipper many have, would help prevent that.

I like the Olympia Air Glide 2 silver pants for hot, sunny riding. But, just be careful where you sit down to check tire pressure at a gas station...they show grease/oil. And, no need to ask me how I know this.

Ok i just recieved a pair of pants (my first as well). So did some research first. I think the consensus is that nothing beats leather for overall protection and durability. My understanding is that most if not all of the textile materials are essentially disposable; you crash and replace (melting issues asside). Leather, well look at any AMA or MotoGP race, watch the crash (see Jorge Lorenzo last week). they crash, they get up the get back in the race, ususally with only scuff marks.

So I decided to go with perferated leather/textile combined. What i got was the Joe rocket supermoto pants and jacket. the pants have Knee pucks which i will likely never use (probably just pull them off) but after watching several hours of crash videos i decided "i want to get up after i go down." So the armor is CE. I have ridden with the jacket for several hundred miles and it is wonderful: the best i have had. The ventilation is outstanding; like your wearing a Tee. The pants just arrived a couple hours ago (after back order for nearly a month) and they fit nicely. Textiles are used in places where you are unlikely to contact the ground. Nevertheless they use the latest materials that you would expect.

Price: Onida Suzuki has the jacket for 274 plus shipping 288; the pants i got from ridersuperstore.com paid 245 with shipping 266. They did send the wrong size (which is still sitting here) but they stepped up right away and drop shipped the new pair the next day.

I know you want easy on off and armor but it makes little sense to have armor (specifically CE rated armor) unless it is snuggly in place. So i would think about what is most importnat, having the protection or the convienience.

I bought a pair of Fieldsheer Pants about 2,000 miles back. I have worn them over shorts & blue jeans. I like them pretty well and they breath well in the 80's. In the rain they let lots of water through as one would expect for mesh. A couple of comments are; first, they zip up the side of the legs from the bottom to the top-fairly easy to put on & off. Second, if they zipped the other direction then it would be easy to get into the shorts/pants pockets under them-as they are it isn't easy. I bought them when the shop I was at didn't have the First Gear version. I like the fact that they are available in silver in addition to black. One downside is that they aren't supposted to go in the washing machine or to the dry cleaners. A wet sponge & mild detergent by hand is recommended for cleaning.

I've had a few pairs of pants, and after much research and trial and error, if I had it to do all over again, I'd clearly go with the Olympia Air Glide Pants
mensairglidepant01.jpg

2) They come in a color other than black!, Silver seems a hell of a lot smarter and cooler to me.

I already have plenty of jackets, and a pair of these pants is probably next on my list before I get a Stitch which I probably should have done a long time ago and saved myself a tone of $...

Ding-Ding-Ding... :clapping:

I like those - and you're right - they don't look stupid and I'm flat worn out with looking at black duds...

I think we have a winner!!!

<Thanks to all for the suggestions > ;)

mensairglidepant01.jpg

Ding-Ding-Ding... :clapping:

I like those - and you're right - they don't look stupid and I'm flat worn out with looking at black duds...

I think we have a winner!!!

<Thanks to all for the suggestions > ;)
I purchased a pair of Olympia Air Glide 2 pants in silver last month and I have ridden over 3,000 miles in them now including through some of the recent heavy rains (and I didn't have the liner in :dribble: )!

Any how, I really like them. They don't have quite as much air flow as the First Gear Mesh pants because they have several solid strips of material, but they don't absorb the direct sunlight like the BLACK FG mesh pants do.

Overall, I wish I had just bought a pair of them 3 years ago and saved my self lots of $$$.

If you plan on using them as over pants, I would recommend going up 1 size. If you plan on using them "as is" and as "over pants", plan on purchasing TWO pairs!

Best Regards,

Shane

Ok i just recieved a pair of pants (my first as well). So did some research first. I think the consensus is that nothing beats leather for overall protection and durability. My understanding is that most if not all of the textile materials are essentially disposable; you crash and replace (melting issues asside). Leather, well look at any AMA or MotoGP race, watch the crash (see Jorge Lorenzo last week). they crash, they get up the get back in the race, ususally with only scuff marks.
So I decided to go with perferated leather/textile combined. What i got was the Joe rocket supermoto pants and jacket. the pants have Knee pucks which i will likely never use (probably just pull them off) but after watching several hours of crash videos i decided "i want to get up after i go down." So the armor is CE. I have ridden with the jacket for several hundred miles and it is wonderful: the best i have had. The ventilation is outstanding; like your wearing a Tee. The pants just arrived a couple hours ago (after back order for nearly a month) and they fit nicely. Textiles are used in places where you are unlikely to contact the ground. Nevertheless they use the latest materials that you would expect.

Price: Onida Suzuki has the jacket for 274 plus shipping 288; the pants i got from ridersuperstore.com paid 245 with shipping 266. They did send the wrong size (which is still sitting here) but they stepped up right away and drop shipped the new pair the next day.

I know you want easy on off and armor but it makes little sense to have armor (specifically CE rated armor) unless it is snuggly in place. So i would think about what is most importnat, having the protection or the convienience.
True that leather is always the best choice.It's also true that I feel cooler in leather but buying diamonds to bribe wife can get costly quick

anything that I wouldnt have to sell a kidney to buy?
I can relate to that.

If you are looking for something cool for the summer, take a look at these First Gear mesh pants.

The First Gear HT Overpants were a better bargain last year at Motorcycle Closeouts but they seem to have gone up in price to where they are comparably priced with the Olympia.

On my 2nd pair of FG Hypertex overpants. Ran the gen 1 version for something like 6 years or so and probably around 200,000 miles. They were a good sun/heat shield in the summer (keep moving for air flow), replaced the rain gear (simplicity is good), worked well in the winter (add heated gear if a simply polypro long john isn't enough underneath).

The current set I have is the gen 2 (removable liner). This is the major improvement that the gen 1 could have used. I also popped for the optional C2 armor which wasn't very expensive and replaces the oem armor easily.

The main reason for the upgrade was that, after all that use, they hems of the original ones were getting a little frayed from me walking on them when I didn't have my riding boots on.

Got mine at New Enough