Rifle and Calsi side by side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Epperson

Reaction score
When I purchased my FJR, I argued with myself about purchasing a Calsci or Rifle windscreen. I purchase the Large Calsci based on a number of positive reports and that I could stop in an pick it up on my way to get Rick Meyer to modify my seat and my wife's Vstar 1300 seats.

Since then I put on approximately 39,000 miles. I had tried the upper position several times since getting the FJR but as not really happy with it. Recently, I decided on to give it a try again. Much to my surprise, the upper position felt better and this "old bod" liked it. But I was getting more buffeting which diminished when I lowered the seat. After reading various reports from Big-D and others, I decided to purchase a +5/+3 Rifle

The physical differences between the Calsci Large and Rifle are:

• Width at top - 15-1/4" and 19-1/2"
  • Width at bottom - 22-3/4" and 23-3/4"
  • Height from the point of the upside down "w" - 22-7/8" and 23-3/4"

I am 73" tall and inseam of 32".

I just completed 600 miles with the Rifle and under 80 MPH combined bike speed and crosswind speed, I get little or no buffeting. When the combined speed is greater than that, I get some on my helmet but not my shoulders. If I lower the seat to the bottom position, that goes away. A number of things contribute to this improvement:

• The Rifle is taller, approximately what the Calsc XLarge is
  • The Rifle is wider at the top protecting more space to each side of my head
  • The Rifle is tilted back at an angle improves the airflow over the top of the screen. Doing so, the wind does not "stall out" as quickly causing it to "crash" down on the rider's head.

Here are pictures of the two windscreens side by side. The "from the side" pictures show the difference in pitch of the two screens resulting from the Rifle tuning blocks.

Edited: Calsci on the left, Rifle on the right

Front view:

fjrWindscreen_frontView_down.jpg

fjrWindscreen_frontView_up.jpg

Side view:

fjrWindscreen_sideView_down.jpg

fjrWindscreen_sideView_up.jpg

The "tuning" block:

fjrWindscreen_rifle_tunningBlock.jpg

fjrWindscreen_rifle_tunningBlocks.jpg

Head on view with the windscreen retracted and the FZ1 mirrors folded back

fjrWindscreen_rifle_2010053120100531_101.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the additional information and pictures, Roy! To add to what you've already posted, I have a VStream which measures 22 3/4" at the top, 22 1/4" at the bottom and it's 22 1/2" high from the point of the "W". I'm 74" tall with a 32" inseam. I've added spacers to tilt the VStream more and when the windshield is all the way up, I look over it by about 2". I would have liked it to be just a bit taller.

The Rifle is 3 1/4" narrower at the top than the VStream and I'm wondering if that decreases the envelope for a passenger.

Thanks for the additional information and pictures, Roy! To add to what you've already posted, I have a VStream which measures 22 3/4" at the top, 22 1/4" at the bottom and it's 22 1/2" high from the point of the "W". I'm 74" tall with a 32" inseam. I've added spacers to tilt the VStream more and when the windshield is all the way up, I look over it by about 2". I would have liked it to be just a bit taller.
The Rifle is 3 1/4" narrower at the top than the VStream and I'm wondering if that decreases the envelope for a passenger.

Sounds great! good for you! I however love my Cal Sci large! Glad we have so many choices

Good comparo, Roy. Do you think the Cal Sci would perform better with a tuning block to chnage the angle?

I have a Cal Sci. Way back I went to the Cal Sci website, did their calculations, and got my windscreen in the mail. It was about 1" too tall and had a big wrinkle in the top. I sent it back and they happily cut the inch off and that solved the height and wrinkle problem. I have been satisfied to date, but always on the lookout for something better.

Good comparo, Roy. Do you think the Cal Sci would perform better with a tuning block to chnage the angle?
I think that it might help if it were angled back some. One of the measurements I forgot (didn't think of taking) was to measure the height of the Calsci and the Rifle from the top of the triple tree. From the head on pictures there doesn't appear to be much difference between them using my head as a gauge because of the angle difference.

What is really different is the width of the screen at the top which creates a bigger "pocket" around your head. Although someone posted that their VStream is wider than my Rifle. I tried the VStream which is going around on the "loaner program" and didn't like it as good as my Calsci. The major route home for us from the Sierra's can be very windy and it is not hard to get combined wind and bike speed giving me a velocity of better than 100 MPH by my head. At least on this weekend's ride, their was a "lot less" buffeting.

I think that it might help if it were angled back some. One of the measurements I forgot (didn't think of taking) was to measure the height of the Calsci and the Rifle from the top of the triple tree. From the head on pictures there doesn't appear to be much difference between them using my head as a gauge because of the angle difference.

What is really different is the width of the screen at the top which creates a bigger "pocket" around your head. Although someone posted that their VStream is wider than my Rifle. I tried the VStream which is going around on the "loaner program" and didn't like it as good as my Calsci. The major route home for us from the Sierra's can be very windy and it is not hard to get combined wind and bike speed giving me a velocity of better than 100 MPH by my head. At least on this weekend's ride, their was a "lot less" buffeting.
Can you offer any more details/pictures on teh angled "tuning" blocks you used? Did you fabricate them or purchase?

I've been looking for a way to lay the windscreen down a little flatter, especially in the "up" position to reduce drag.

Thanks.

Can you offer any more details/pictures on teh angled "tuning" blocks you used? Did you fabricate them or purchase?
The tuning blocks are provided by Rifle which are exclusive to their screen.

About a year ago, I found some posts here about folks adding spacers between the mechanism and the screen to change the angle. I did not try that approach. I did take some measurements and created a drawing for a "wedge" to put between a screen and lift mechanism. I found it after I install the Rifle and their angle and mine are very close.

I never figured out how I could fabricate it without a machine shop. After seen Rifle's, I'm glad I didn't try. :yahoo: I would have spend much more than the cost to purchase the new windscreen.

Are those 2nd Gen FZ1 mirrors? I just installed the 1st Gen FZ1's on my 07 and they do not fold like yours.

MartyA,

I have a Cal-Sci Medium (large cut down) and have added a Rifle style tuning block. Results are good, much more air flow in the down position as I cooked in the summertime without the tuning block. The full up position has always been fine, but with the tuning block it doesn't go quite as high (used to be able to look through it), but it hasn't affected the effectiveness as far as I can tell. I haven't yet ridden with this combo in the rain, but it should be ok. I tried (and now selling) a Yamaha Tall windshield because, although it worked a tad better in the down position, it never got quite high enough to stop the buffeting and give me the quiet air that the Cal-Sci does. IMHO, tuning blocks give one the option of getting the screen down lower which flows more air.

Damn...I stumbled in here 'cause I thought it had something to do with shooting.

Oh well.

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, tuning blocks give one the option of getting the screen down lower which flows more air.
Contrary-wise, I wonder how the Rifle compares without it's tuning block to the Cal-Sci?

As I mentioned I have a Cal-Sci (XL, I think, -1") and I raise it about 3/4" and that is where it is all the time. I have no real complaints, very minor buffeting across the top of my Shoei. We wear ear plugs all the time so noise is not a problem. I'll have to study the mounting brackets under the screen and see if I can fab something to see if I can get it even a little better.

Thanks for starting this, Roy, got me thinking.

Roy

I think it's great you got your twin brother to show up and take that picture with you on his '07.

fjrWindscreen_frontView_down.jpg

I bet Catherine got a bit confused who was who that afternoon. :blink:

Seriously, I have to get over to your place to have a look myself. As you know my CalSi XXXl (largest offered) measures a bit narrower at the top than your CalSi. The width that the Rifle has looks good to me. I wear ear plugs all the time, but noise reduction is very important to me. The tuning blocks look to be a quieter design than that small vent in the CalSi. I'm finding the wind tends to howl when passing through the thing.

Brodie