Right Angle Valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I found a place that has the right angle valve stems at a decent price ($14 a pair plus shipping).
https://www.capefearmotorcycles.com/

You will have to call them, and all they have left are Blue ones, but they are about half the price that I can find em anywhere else.

You can see photos of them here:

SportBikeEffects Link

Carpitmoto Valve Stems

American Motortire Valve stems

Dennis Kirk Valve Stems
I'm not sure about the product that Cape Fear is selling, but the other "on shore" links you provided are for valve stems that appear to be made by a different manufacturer. There have been some people here that have had a poor result with an inferior product.

A thread on the subject, the good ones come with a paper & have a low torque setting. Someone said they had trouble with the instalation untill put the valve in & then the o'ring. Sunnyside put a pair in my other MC. I have a pair for when I have my tires changed. There are cheaper ones but a once instalation I went for the ones I know are good. TJ

Hijack time!
Any major procedure for installing these?

1088155.jpg

1088154.jpg

Pretty simple. :D :D :D

The ones listed at Cape Fear have the same part number (11970) as the ones listed at SportBikeEffects, so I assume they are the same valve (SportBikeEffects wants $28 for two plus shipping).

The ones on the Dennis Kirk site and American Mototire site do look a bit different.

Thanks for the price watching for us. I appreciate it, I really do.

That said, I will say this: I have been on numerous rides with the owner of SportBikeEffects, he rides an R1 and FJR, and I know of people that have visited his place and his hospitality is tremendous and he asks for little. He has supported the motorcycling community, and been a valued member of it here in California. He is always willing to guide people through the Napa area (some incredible riding he can show you) without ever mentioning his store.

He does offer the FJR community a discount for all purchases. He is limited to what he can sell for by the volume he buys so if we want lower prices from him, maybe we could help spread the word about him, our local American businessman. He has a large number of accesories specifically for the FJR and I don't know many places that do that.

I tell our friends rather than comparing his prices to the prices of people that haven't done anything for us. Those guys you linked to are all about volume, but when is the last time they took you on a ride through their local area? But this isn't about them.

I really do appreciate your showing us good prices, but to then link SportBikeEffects and increase his hit rate with his ISP (merchants pay for their websites) to help you advertise that link is, well, not so good. I'd humbly appreciate if you edited that out of your post.

Again, no problem with you, but I just wanted to say something on behalf an important local member of our motorcycling and FJR community.

Best regards, now come out to CA and we'll take you on some rides, let you stay in our homes, BBQ up some grub, and buy some $28 dollar 90 degree valve stems :)

We could also do each other a kind favor by editing our posts outta here :)

To tell you the truth, I didn't even make the connection between the Sport Bike Effects website and someone on this board. I was just out doing some shopping for a cheap right angle valve, and thought y'all might want to know what I found.

The down side of the deal I found was that they only had blue, and silver would probably look better on the wheels, so while it may be cheaper, you don't get your choice of color.

+1 on spending money with the locals who help, answer the phone, speak in freakin ENGLISH you can understand... I'll continue to purchase from SBE even if found cheaper elsewhere.

Fred H - good post, no harm no foul. If Jeff doesn't carry the product, then I shop with a vengenace too.

O'vale - well said.

Nuff said.

+1 on spending money with the locals who help, answer the phone, speak in freakin ENGLISH you can understand... I'll continue to purchase from SBE even if found cheaper elsewhere.
Fred H - good post, no harm no foul. If Jeff doesn't carry the product, then I shop with a vengenace too.

O'vale - well said.

Nuff said.

+1 :)

Thanks for the price watching for us. I appreciate it, I really do.
That said, I will say this: I have been on numerous rides with the owner of SportBikeEffects, he rides an R1 and FJR, and I know of people that have visited his place and his hospitality is tremendous and he asks for little. He has supported the motorcycling community, and been a valued member of it here in California. He is always willing to guide people through the Napa area (some incredible riding he can show you) without ever mentioning his store.

He does offer the FJR community a discount for all purchases. He is limited to what he can sell for by the volume he buys so if we want lower prices from him, maybe we could help spread the word about him, our local American businessman. He has a large number of accesories specifically for the FJR and I don't know many places that do that.

I tell our friends rather than comparing his prices to the prices of people that haven't done anything for us. Those guys you linked to are all about volume, but when is the last time they took you on a ride through their local area? But this isn't about them.

I really do appreciate your showing us good prices, but to then link SportBikeEffects and increase his hit rate with his ISP (merchants pay for their websites) to help you advertise that link is, well, not so good. I'd humbly appreciate if you edited that out of your post.

Again, no problem with you, but I just wanted to say something on behalf an important local member of our motorcycling and FJR community.

Best regards, now come out to CA and we'll take you on some rides, let you stay in our homes, BBQ up some grub, and buy some $28 dollar 90 degree valve stems :)

We could also do each other a kind favor by editing our posts outta here :)

I'm totally with Orangevale and dCarver on this one. For the same reason that I buy from the local lumberyard and the local hardware store instead of Home Depot, I buy from people like Jeff at Sport Bike Effects. Yes their prices are sometimes higher but I definitely place a value on customer service and product knowledge. I'm not looking to throw money away and definitely don't have money to burn but I will certainly spend it with someone who gives something back to the community. Big Box if you want but I'll stick with the small guy.....

O'vale - well said.

Nuff said.

+1 :)
+2 :)

I got my silver ones from Jeff at SBE & a PCIII (Great service & prices)

They are really easy to install, no issues at all

Torque spec was real low (lower than either of my torque wrenches went) so I just made them "snug"

I installed them at the same time as my Smartire system.

I find that the new valve stems rest right at the edge of the machined well (inside of rim)

Since the Smartire sensors are attatched by a hose clamp I decided to use the valve bridge just in case.

(Valve bridge is just a small piece of curved metal that allows the hose clamp to bridge over the valve stem, thereby not blocking the flow of air to the tire)

I installed them at the same time as my Smartire system.I find that the new valve stems rest right at the edge of the machined well (inside of rim)

Since the Smartire sensors are attatched by a hose clamp I decided to use the valve bridge just in case.

(Valve bridge is just a small piece of curved metal that allows the hose clamp to bridge over the valve stem, thereby not blocking the flow of air to the tire)
You're just the man I need to ask this question then... If you've already installed your SmarTire sensors (like I have) and used the valve bridge during the install (which I did), do you think there is enough space underneath to get a new 90 degree attachment in there, or would I need to take the sensor restraint strap off first? Don't know if I could reattach the strap if that was the case, since it was cut only 1" longer than the tightening screw after being tightened down...

If I didn't have enough room to do it while the strap was in place, I'd have to get a couple new straps before/when I got the new stems.

They look nice. I just ordered a pair of the silver for my 06 from SBE!

You're just the man I need to ask this question then... If you've already installed your SmarTire sensors (like I have) and used the valve bridge during the install (which I did), do you think there is enough space underneath to get a new 90 degree attachment in there, or would I need to take the sensor restraint strap off first? Don't know if I could reattach the strap if that was the case, since it was cut only 1" longer than the tightening screw after being tightened down...
If I didn't have enough room to do it while the strap was in place, I'd have to get a couple new straps before/when I got the new stems.
I would think you could loosen up the smartire band enough to slide it over (left or right) to gain access to the valve stem. Depends on how short it is but just a little should allow you to remove the valve bridge to gain some slack (you won't need much)

Since you know exactly what the inside of the wheel looks like this will be easier to understand.

Where was my camera??

To install these I forget the size of socket I used, it was small, but basically it has to fit completely inside the drilled well which the valve stem resides. The new valve stems are torqued on to seal them to the rim with a nut on the inside. As you tighten the nut it pulls them on and makes the seal. The only way to do this is with a socket (wrench won't fit) When they are completely installed the inside nut is nearly flush with the inside surface of the wheel (where the smartire band rides) It is so close I almost thought about not using the valve bridge but decided it would be better than finding out after the tires are mounted that the air path is blocked by the smartire band.

Rear wheel should be easier, since it is wider.

Both will depend on how much slack you can get, if you used the valve bridge to start with and how much you want to gamble on breaking a strap this close to the big day :)

I don't feel it is all that risky to take them off but maybe I left a little more slack than you did.

I would guess I have 1-1.5" past the worm gear when they are tight.

When I loosened them just a hair to readjust (balancing the wheel) the valve bridge would easily slide out giving me plenty of slack.

Good luck! :)

I would think you could loosen up the smartire band enough to slide it over (left or right) to gain access to the valve stem. Depends on how short it is but just a little should allow you to remove the valve bridge to gain some slack (you won't need much)
DUH! I'm such an idiot sometimes (my wife would say more often than that...). Thanks :)

Hijack time!

Any major procedure for installing these?
Every set I sell comes with a detailed installation instruction that I have written. I can not comment on the installation of other products.
I have your page with the valve stems bookmarked for when I buy my next set of tires. Thanks in advance.

To tell you the truth, I didn't even make the connection between the Sport Bike Effects website and someone on this board. I was just out doing some shopping for a cheap right angle valve, and thought y'all might want to know what I found.
The down side of the deal I found was that they only had blue, and silver would probably look better on the wheels, so while it may be cheaper, you don't get your choice of color.
Good to hear. As an admin. I pained to look at this thread and didn't want to interject. I knew that Jeff at Sportbikeeffects.com has not only been an avid supporter of the board, but a fountain of support knowledge. I'm heartened to hear you to come to a similar conclusions

And thanks Jeff for continuing to play the triple role of contributing board member, board sponsor, and vendor. You do the position justice. :clapping:

Just installed one of my stems last weekend. Kinda confused me in Utah 3 weeks ago, but my Sunnyside folks read the instructions and bailed me out. Now, just have to do the front tire.

It will be great to meet you at WFO!