right angle valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krotchrocketgrampa

Reaction score
has anyone used those 83 degree aluminum valve stems yet ? I have three different tire gauges and its still a pain to check tire psi, any thoughts ?

I finally got one of those electronic 45 degree tire gauges and it seems to fit mostly any angle valve stem with a lot less difficulty than the straight or 90 degree kind.

On a related note, I bought a pair and there is a torque spec given. I always ( well almost always ) adhere to torque spec's when provided. But, getting any sort of wrench into the recess on the inside of the wheel is impossible. The stems I have are pre-coated with Locktite so I don't think the torque is critical but I didn't want to over tighten either.

When you installed the the valve stems, how did you tighten them down ? Jam the nut with a screwdriver or something similar and just turn the stem until it felt about right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up buying a cheap socket and grinding the outer thickness off the socket until the diameter would fit within the recessed hole. Just enough meat left to torque the nuts down. Worked like a champ and only cost a couple of bucks.

You guys are referencing the 90 degree stems so many of us love. He said 83 degree. I know there are the 90, and maybe some 45 stems, but 83 degree? I'm not sure. I know Ngarider had a set of stems fly apart on him at speed a while back. They were angled, but not 90 degree stems.

As readily available and proven as the 90degree stems are from our normal forum suppliers, I wouldn't buy anything else.

When you installed the the valve stems, how did you tighten them down ? Jam the nut with a screwdriver or something similar and just turn the stem until it felt about right ?
With my highly calibrated arm I used the precise German specification of "Guttenteit". I'm sure it was plus or minus half a "Strippenzthread".

You guys are referencing the 90 degree stems so many of us love. He said 83 degree. I know there are the 90, and maybe some 45 stems, but 83 degree? I'm not sure.

As readily available and proven as the 90degree stems are from our normal forum suppliers, I wouldn't buy anything else.
From the above referenced, normal forum supplier (website):

"These angled valve stems (actual angle is 83º)."

I got the ones from Bike Effects too, back in 08. Worth every penny. And a related plus, I'd read several sorrys of folks who've had stock rubber stems crack on them, or in some cases even blow out. Catastrophy !!! If just for piece of mind, get 'em.

Chris

And if you happen to have Galfer's Wave Rotors, after bleeding like stuck pig trying to check your air pressure, right angle valve stems are a requirement.
No $Hit...my hands are just now beginning to heal up from the past weekend! :)

--G

Maybe on the front wheel but not on the rear. With the small rear brake disc the valve stem is very accessible. And a replacement TR-412 valve stem only costs $1.25 or less.

Maybe on the front wheel but not on the rear. With the small rear brake disc the valve stem is very accessible. And a replacement TR-412 valve stem only costs $1.25 or less.
Right. But I've heard/read many stories of folks who've have stock rubber stems "blow out" on them in certain situations, and therefore recommend a metal stem that actually bolts into the wheel.

But I've heard/read many stories of folks who've have stock rubber stems "blow out" on them in certain situations, and therefore recommend a metal stem that actually bolts into the wheel.
Really? You have a link or source where you've read it?

I've seen it happen one time in my life on Gold Wing where the stem was cracked and slowly lost air. I've never heard or seen one "blow out".

That said, I have the right angle stems sold by bikeeffects.com and think they're the dog's danglies.