right angle valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are referencing the 90 degree stems so many of us love. He said 83 degree. I know there are the 90, and maybe some 45 stems, but 83 degree? I'm not sure. I know Ngarider had a set of stems fly apart on him at speed a while back. They were angled, but not 90 degree stems.

As readily available and proven as the 90degree stems are from our normal forum suppliers, I wouldn't buy anything else.

AJ

they are generally referred to 90 degree, but in reality they are 83 as others have said. Those that you have seen at the camp meet are IT.

But I've heard/read many stories of folks who've have stock rubber stems "blow out" on them in certain situations, and therefore recommend a metal stem that actually bolts into the wheel.
Really? You have a link or source where you've read it?

I've seen it happen one time in my life on Gold Wing where the stem was cracked and slowly lost air. I've never heard or seen one "blow out".

That said, I have the right angle stems sold by bikeeffects.com and think they're the dog's danglies.
I would agree. I'd also add that I saw a fellow rider suffer from a leak due to the seal in the core gone bad. Ever since then, I carry two spare cores ( cost about $0.25 each, if that ) and the tool to remove & replace. Damdest thing that something so small could cause such a big problem.

But I've heard/read many stories of folks who've have stock rubber stems "blow out" on them in certain situations, and therefore recommend a metal stem that actually bolts into the wheel.
Really? You have a link or source where you've read it?

I've seen it happen one time in my life on Gold Wing where the stem was cracked and slowly lost air. I've never heard or seen one "blow out".

That said, I have the right angle stems sold by bikeeffects.com and think they're the dog's danglies.
I think I originally read about this concern in a Paul Glaves article in the BMW MOA mag several years ago. But here's more recent posting:

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602803

Years ago I put GW 90 degree stems on my VFR and had a great time until 6am on Sunday morning in Carlsbad, NM the stem let all the air out of my front tire. Turns out the GW stems are just pushed in and the GW wheels have stem supports. As the wheel spins the centrifugal forces bent the stem to the wheel and then one day ... POP it is out of the rim.

But the ones from bike-effect are great! Just install one today.

AJ

they are generally referred to 90 degree, but in reality they are 83 as others have said. Those that you have seen at the camp meet are IT.
Haha...You mean the stems I forgot to get from you and bring home? If you haven't sent that shield yet, do you wanna throw a black or red set in there? I'll PayPal you the extra.

I love my black 90 degree stems, but donno how long they'll last before the rubber seal degrades and they need replaced. I don't wanna be stuck waiting for another set to be overnighted.

If u have black that's great, if not, red will work too.