Riser Debate for Gen-III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I meant to mention that but I forgot. Each change you make has an effect somewhere. The seat position affects your forward lean, the rise and setback affects how high your head sits in the air flow over the shield, the air flow over the shield hitting your chest affects how much weight you put on your wrists...

And yes, The Seat is a huge topic. The Windshield is a Huge Topic. All these things are personal preference and sometimes there is no clear cut "Right Answer".

I have the Helibar Kit. I like the seating position I have with a Corbin seat. The appearance of the brake line extension does not bother me, but I may replace it because simpler is better. The bars do limit the size of the tank bag that can be used. I went to a very small Givi and find that I am okay with the smaller size. I do not use the center Ram ball; too far from my line of sight. I have a shelf for GPS and V1 (a shelf is a wonderful thing). Would I buy it again.... maybe. I'd look at some other options, but I'm not unhappy with the Helibars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto to Uncle Hud. I had myself convinced that I needed risers. Then I learned about Master Yoda from wnyfjr. I read up on that, paid attention, adjusted my bars to the factory setting closest to me, and my ride has become comfortable to the point where risers are no longer on my "to farkle" list.

Good posture is nice (MYRP), but it does not compensate for a seating/bar position more suited to a 16 year old squid. It never occurred to me before buying the FJR that it would require aftermarket parts to give it ergos somewhere near what you'd expect from a sport tourer. But the ass up riding position gave me back and wrist pain, despite good posture, that I'd never experienced on any bike.... I chose heli. Couldn't be happier. No replacement brake line needed. Goes on fast without any brake bleeding required. Extension is no more visually obtrusive than 20 OEM parts plainly visible on the bike. Good luck whatever you choose.

Last edited by a moderator: