RKA Tankbags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrct

Reaction score
Looking in to getting a RKA tankbag any reviews on them. Was checking out their website and saw that they had some good sale going on.

They make a good product. I had one of their tankbags on my ST1100 (strap down type) which worked well. I have a friend with one on his FJR and he's had it for many years and its still in great shape. I have one of their seat bags now and really like it (very easy off/on).

Gary

I've had an RKA 16 liter expandable magnetic tank bag since 2001, originally bought for my SV650S. A top quality product, mine is a little faded from sun exposure but it's totally intact and functional, and I've used it quite a bit, hauling significant weight around using the rear strap as a handle.

I have both a RKA tankbag and rear rack bag. If I had to do the purchase again, I would look elsewhere. RKA makes decent luggage, USA made for the patriot in you and they can do custom colors like nobody else can. The color thing was the compelling reason for me, but otherwise RKA is just average in quality of materials (cordura seems lightweight to me, zippers are not heavy duty) and overpriced. In fairness, quality of construction was tops. But rain covers are extra and without them, expect to spend more money on pricey 303 Protectant (RKA says so). They seem very customer responsive (the owner himself may likely answer) as well. But, overall the bags honestly left me feeling a little disappointed in value. Do not even think about asking them to do a custom change to the design of their bags (other than colors), what you see is what they offer. So,YMMV with RKA, but I saw a Cortech bag in the moto store just today with thick, bombproof looks and huge zippers with large rubber pulls. Yeah, the color choices were black and....black, but I would trade the RKA for the Cortech in a heartbeat.

jazsr

Last edited by a moderator:
I met the owners (Richard and Kathy-thus the R and the K) years ago when they were just starting out. I've subsequently run into them at various bike events. They're really nice people and make a pretty good product. I purchased a tail bag and have been very happy with its versatility.