Room For Risers - 06?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
Forum members,

i've been talking to doug hines about the risers that he's developed for the 06. On his bike, he has no cable length problems installing the 1 3/8 inch risers. I dont see how they will possible fit my bike under the current setup. My bike just came out of the 600 mile service and i asked the mechanic if he thought i could get risers without a cable modification. His answer was 'no way"!!!

I'm interested in getting a poll started as to who thinks they could get risers of that size on there 06 without a cable modification (especially in a steering lock position). I'll pass this information onto doug for him to keep in mind when marketing his new product.

thanx

GreyGoose

I've got a set of Hines 06 risers ordered so that I can see if they fit. It would not be a surprise to find out that Mamayamaha jobs out it's cables to different contractors - and so we could have the possibility of slight cable length differences.

I'll be surprised if they fit. My cables are very snug with the bars in the rearward position. I hope they do fit, but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe they'll fit, maybe they won't. We shall see. If they don't I'll return them to Doug. That simple.

I'll be surprised if they fit. My cables are very snug with the bars in the rearward position. I hope they do fit, but I'm not holding my breath.
Maybe they'll fit, maybe they won't. We shall see. If they don't I'll return them to Doug. That simple.

I have some Hines ordered also. As meticulous as Doug seems to be, I am pretty sure he has taken this into consideration and will back his products as always. B)

Doug has assured me that we can return the risers if they dont fit. He's advertising them as "no modification necessary" risers. I just dont see how they have a chance of fitting on my bike (which was why i contacted him). Sounds like we're split on the chances of them working. We'll have to wait and see what the consensus is as we hear from others. I would hate to recommend them to someone (or not recommend them) , to find out later they wouldnt fit (or would fit).

GreyGoose

If Doug says they'll fit without any modifications, then I'm pretty sure they will.

That having been said, we have seen a few situations over the years where bikes have varied a little bit from one FJR to another. Is it possible that someone has'06 cable lengths that are a bit shorter than Doug's? Hey, anything's possible....

I would be prepared to loosen any cable clamps and/or any other retaining cable devices to allow the cables to stretch to the degree they can.

:dribble: Ain't, I say,ain"t no way anything higher than 1/2" is gonna fit on my bike. Cables are nearly maxed out at rearward position. I could use a little more height to relax my shoulders, but it ain't gonna happen without longer brake & clutch lines.

If Doug says they'll fit without any modifications, then I'm pretty sure they will.
That having been said, we have seen a few situations over the years where bikes have varied a little bit from one FJR to another. Is it possible that someone has'06 cable lengths that are a bit shorter than Doug's? Hey, anything's possible....

I would be prepared to loosen any cable clamps and/or any other retaining cable devices to allow the cables to stretch to the degree they can.

Doug has assured me that we can return the risers if they dont fit. He's advertising them as "no modification necessary" risers. I just dont see how they have a chance of fitting on my bike (which was why i contacted him). Sounds like we're split on the chances of them working. We'll have to wait and see what the consensus is as we hear from others. I would hate to recommend them to someone (or not recommend them) , to find out later they wouldnt fit (or would fit).
GreyGoose
If they don't fit your bike, I'll take 'em. My '06 appears to have plenty of slack in both wires and cables to take the risers.

If they don't fit your bike, I'll take 'em. My '06 appears to have plenty of slack in both wires and cables to take the risers.

+1 on the slack bmwhd. And if I take the cables out of the clips or redo as Warchild suggested, there would be even more slack available. I moved my bars back to the rear position and didn't notice any less slack in the cables. We'll see when the risers are installed. PM. <>< :D

Sounds like a winner BMWHD, i'll let you know after i give them a try. The chances are slim to none that there going to work on mine.

GreyGoose

I have a pair on-order. Doesn't look like there is enough room for them...will let you know.

I have a pair on-order. Doesn't look like there is enough room for them...will let you know.
You guys are getting me scared here about the cable lengths. If they don't fit then Yamaha has a quality control issue with their cable length's because mine went on with absolutely no problem. However, as I have told others, my bike is the only one around here in Arkansas that I can test, and it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a manufacturer have such problems. According to my measurements you only have to pull the handlebar 1" higher to get it over the new mounting stud than you do the original Yamaha stud, then the handlebar is lowered over the stud giving more slack in the cables.

Time will tell as the first 30 sets of risers will be shipped out tomorrow. That is if I can get off the forum and get your risers packaged and addressed. Let me know how your install goes.

Doug Hines

Thanks for the update doug. I should be recieveing them by the weekend and we'll give it a shot. Originally i thought the risers would just move us up, but later i saw some pics of you with a rearward adjustment. Will these risers give us a rearward adjustment (or just an inch in height)?

I really hope these work. they would be a great addition to the 06.

I'm very surprised that more 06 forum members didnt get involved in this thread. We would have had a much better idea on the possibility of these working on the majority of bikes.

doug, can you post some pics of the finished product.

We'll be in touch

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine will be a close call. If it doesn't fit, even after doing the Warchild mod, I'll just walk around the WFO lot late at night and do a little cable shopping.. :D :blink: just kidding for you nervous nellies out there..

On a serious note, I'd even entertain having longer hoses made. The stock position is killing me.

Just installed doug hines first set of risers. I was very concerned about these fitting with my current cable length (which is what started this post). If i was a betting man, i would have lost a barrel full of cash. The risers went on without a problem. Cables are tight but dont bind. Sitting position is greatly improved and wrist fatigue is reduced 50% after my initial test. Big test will be next week at honda hoot (back to back to back 400 mile days). They also offer some adjustment in sway from front to back. if you pull them all the back though, the bars would get pretty narrow and may increase wrist fatigue. also, you should not use these riser if you plan on tying the bike down by the bars to transport. Installation is no problem but you have to be very carefull with setting rotation. you run the risk of damaging the initial yamaha supplied setup.

Great job doug.

GreyGoose

OK Doug, I'm convinced. If your next run isn't until July, might we see some at WFO5? I'm thinking that by the time they get through Canada Customs and I actually get them in my hands, I'll be heading to Reno.

Just curious, on the install sheet of the risers it talks of adjusting the bars to the position you want and then tighten the nut and bolt down with a torque wrench to "23 Nm." It then goes on to mention the Yamaha torque specs for the handlebar fasteners are "17mm Nut - 47Ft-Lbs and the 8mmCap Screw - 17Ft-Lbs." Question is what the heck is "23 Nm?" PM. <>< :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, on the install sheet of the risers it talks of adjusting the bars to the position you want and then tighten the nut and bolt down with a torque wrench to "23 Nm." It then goes on to mention the Yamaha torque specs for the handlebar fasteners are "17mm Nut - 47Ft-Lbs and the 8mmCap Screw - 17Ft-Lbs." Question is what the heck is "23 Nm?" PM. <>< :blink:

23 N-m is ~ 31.2 ft-lbs

23 N-m is ~ 31.2 ft-lbs
Thanks for that Warchild. Doug does say to tighten to 23 N-m spec but gives the Yamaha specs on a supplement sheet. A little confusing but I'll go with his specs until I confirm with him later. Boy, these risers allow you to have the bars on the 06 in the rear position "and" allows you to open them up a bit to give a wider stance on the bars that allows for better control of the bike. This adds to the pitiful amout of adjustment before that was much needed. I want to thank Doug Hines also for stepping up and making the risers for us in need and they turned out well with a nice powder coat match and was an easy install. PM. <>< :D