Rostra CC Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giarcg

Reaction score
I've been asked on a few occasion for info on how I accomplished the installation of a Rostra CC on my AE. A thorough search on the web will provide details regarding wiring and so forth, The biggest challenge I believe is the installation of the hardware.

This is how I did it....

I placed the control unit in the space between the rear seat and rear cowl. Its a tight fit and there is contact with the seat but the unit settles in without any problems. The pic shows the cable exiting to the right of the bike, the final installation has it exiting to the left.

The connection to the throttle.... the nut (use loctite) on the right needed to be filed slightly for clearance with the cable when full throttle is applied. Be sure to check for any interferences during full throttle rotation.

I used a metal wheel for a sliding screen door and carefully placed L brackets to redirect the chain... lots of fine adjustment needed here. The L shaped piece on top ensures the chain stays in the wheel groove. Not shown is a loose fitting piece of plastic tubing that the chain runs through between the wheel and throttle connection which keeps slack chain (if any) from possibly hanging up on something. My biggest concern through all of this was eliminating the possibility that the throttle would get stuck partially open for any reason. The bracket for the rubber covered gizzmo adjacent to the wheel needed to be adjusted to provide clearance. Note use of self-locking fasteners.

Cable is led rearward. ****VERY IMPORTANT**** The fuel hose running from the fuel tank needs to pass UNDER the cable. There is room in the "valley" just forward of the air box for the fuel hose to reside with out contact with the cable. The fuel hose has a factory installed protective rubber sleeve, I wrapped this with metal tape for added chaff protection. the last thing you want (next to a stuck throttle) is the cable sawing its way through a pressurized fuel line. I've checked for contact several times since installation....no problem.

Rough cut out for the heat shield exit.

And finally my chosen method for controlling the thing... a pair of Radio Shack micro switches.

Regarding wiring - I have the unit powered at all times, no on-off switch. I used a Centrodyne Pulse Divider between the ECU and the Rostra unit. Search the web for details.

In closing - I have been spoiled by the cruise on my K1200LT and will not do without it on any bike I ride for hours at a time. This installation has worked flawlessly for 11,000 miles. I do inspect it regularly for any potential problems. I think the weakest point is the chain itself...so far so good.

Warning - screwing with the throttle system of a high powered motorcycle is serious business. The material presented above is intended for information purposes only. It is not intended as professional advice and should not be construed as such. So there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm working on the same CC unit. What wire did you use for the speed sensor? The speed sensor has three wires, two of them connect with other wires and there is a third wire that goes to the CPU only (according to the factory service manual). I'm assuming that is the one?

I'm also going to look at a second up/ down switch for the windshield machined into the hand shift housing, move the windshield up/ down to that switch and wiring the CC to the original up/ down switch. Figured I would use the CC switch more than the windshield.

It's likely you could also use the output from the cylinder identification sensor as your VSS input. This pulse rate is one half the engine rpm. The speed sensor located near the neutral switch and the cylinder identification sensor are identical.

You wouldn't need a pulse rate divider using the cylinder identification sensor. In 5th gear the pulses per mile would be approximately 1700.

The windshield control switches are both normally closed switches, somewhat unusual. You'll likely have to install relays to interface with these switches.

I used the windshield switches to control my cruise control. I added a momentary pushbutton nearby to toggle the windshield switches between cruise control and windshield control. Works fine but adds a lot of complexity to the circuitry. I dislike normally closed control switches. Interfacing with them is a pain.

You wouldn't need a pulse rate divider using the cylinder identification sensor. In 5th gear the pulses per mile would be approximately 1700.
I thought I read somewhere that the Rostra could be adjusted for the FJR without adding anything. Did you try it on the speed sensor then move to the cam sensor?

Thanks for the info on the windshield switch. I might be gutting a stock one and making what I want. I want it to look as OEM as I can.

No, I have the vacuum actuated cruise unit. Its speed signal is provided from one of the ignition coils.

The FJR's speed sensor generates approximately 87,000 pulses per mile. The Rostra can accept inputs up to 38,000 pulses per mile.

An ignition coil generates approximately 3,400 pulses per mile. The cylinder identification sensor generates half that rate -- 1,700 per mile.

No, I have the vacuum actuated cruise unit. Its speed signal is provided from one of the ignition coils.

The FJR's speed sensor generates approximately 87,000 pulses per mile. The Rostra can accept inputs up to 38,000 pulses per mile.

An ignition coil generates approximately 3,400 pulses per mile. The cylinder identification sensor generates half that rate -- 1,700 per mile.
I have the vacuum style on my FJ1200 and I like it but you can't buy them anymore. I wish the Rostra had an either/ or for tach signal and/ or VSS. The manual says the tach signal is for safety only and won't control the speed. Maybe I will switch to the cam sensor. Anyone know the wire color I need to conect to?

Thanks