Route Advice - Touring California and SW USA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David send me pics when you get all you farkles on the bike. Dont forget you have to R.A.M. mounnt for your toy's on the triple tree's

What type of riding are you looking for?

are you looking for great canyon roads to scrape pegs, or more liesurely and scenic, or ?? how long of day are you and your companion up for?

I did a 3,150mile 8 day lap of california back in June {posted here https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=116524}

I've been busy with family stuff, etc and haven't posted my final route and other pictures and details :(

Anyway - my final route is close to what I planned

- the big difference being up near Willow Creek (299 and 96) taking National? Forest Road 1 {paved, single lane road for 56 miles) down to Mad River off Hwy 36

However, I'd be happy to provide my $0.02

As for basic thoughts

- I love riding up 395 and going up and over Sonora, then Monitor/Ebbets Passes (go a few miles west of summit, turn back and go back to 395) - repeat annually as needed ;^)

- Carson Pass down towards Tahoe is not as much fun (for me, I like tight, steep mountain passes, Carson is a faster sweping bends type route)

- Another fun little strech of road is Hwy 168 out of Big Pine (along 395) on up to Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest - beware of this road - dangerous to the inattentive, fun for others.

- I recommend 1 South vs North. I'd switch your route and go up 395 and back down 1

PM me for more info if desired.

Hi Lawrence. Thanks for your thoughts and input. I agree about the #1 being better South (from all reports), but that is the one section the couple we are riding with want to lock in. I may still have luck getting that changed, though.

As regards overall riding - a mix of both the leisurely and scenic, and canyon carving. You can see from my first post on the thread that we have 400 mile says and 200 mile days, depending on my assessment of the twisty-ness and scenic factors. We have previously done 500+ mile days, but have found that when touring a mix of some days canyon-carving pegscraping, interspersed with oohhaahh days looking at sights and taking piccies works for us - so that means some 400 mile days broken up with some 200 mile days.

I will have a look at your thread, and glean ideas from that, then I'll PM you any specific questions.

Some immediate help would be suggestions on where to stay in the Moccasin area (I chose Moccasin as when we leave there we'll head through Yosemite and over Tioga) - staying 2 nights and planning to loop up Sonora, then north on 395, then west on either 89 then 4; or 89 then 88 then 26 the 4 and back to 49 and down to Moccasin. Also, your thoughts on a day loop as outlined above will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

David

Some immediate help would be suggestions on where to stay in the Moccasin area (I chose Moccasin as when we leave there we'll head through Yosemite and over Tioga) - staying 2 nights and planning to loop up Sonora, then north on 395, then west on either 89 then 4; or 89 then 88 then 26 the 4 and back to 49 and down to Moccasin. Also, your thoughts on a day loop as outlined above will be much appreciated.
My recollection (from MANY years ago) was there there isn't much in Moccasin. The '94 COG Western National was based out of Sonora (just north). There are some quaint/historic fun towns along the Western Sierra foothills. A few years ago when I came thru that area in April, I came in through Mariposa (and we stayed in the park at Camp Curry - beautiful to wake up after a big storm and see blue sky and the entire valley surrounded by snow with the valley itself clear and of reasonable temperature).

There are others on this board from that area who could advise better than I (I have friends nearby, so i have had no reason to determine a place to stay). You may want to post seperately for a specific area to get people's response. I recommend noting what price range and ammenities you are looking for.

Lawrence, thanks for your input. I have been Googling that area and some others too, and the ideas are coming together. As regards type of accomodation & costs - chain motels/roadside motels, target as little over $100 a night that we can get away with.

Just an update on dates and possible stopovers:

Fri Sept 18: Day 0 – prep FJR at Salt Lake City (will be ‘stored’ there for me pending arrival). The first 2 days are ‘transport stages’ to link up with friends arriving in LA.

Sat Sept 19: Day 1 – SLC to Las Vegas (425 miles)

Sun Sept 20: Day 2 – Las Vegas to Santa Barbara, where we link up with friends (360 miles)

Mon Sept 21: Day 3 – Santa B to Monterey or Carmel (along the coast 260 m)

Tues Sept 22: Day 4 – Monterey to Moccasin/Sonora area - not yet decided (a 2-night base, but anywhere close/better is good. (175 m)

Wed Sept 23: Day 5 – Loop ride, heading over Sonora Pass, then back via one of the other roads – thanks for the advice on this much appreciated. (est 300 m)

Thurs Sept 24: Day 6 – Moccasin/Sonora to Mammoth Lakes through Yosemite (210 m)

Fri Sept 25: Day 7 – Bishop to Las Vegas via Death Valley (300 m). 2 nights in LV. (Unfortunately I’ve had to cut a ride up to Goldfields from the route – not enough time).

Sat Sept 26: Day 8 – Loop ride from LV – probably taking in Valley of Fire & Hoover Dam.

Sun Sept 27: Day 9 – LV to Grand Canyon. (300 miles) including old section of Route 66.

Mon Sept 28: Day 10 – Grand Canyon to Page via Grand Canyon. (140 m – leaves enough time for sightseeing).

Tues Sept 29: Day 11 – Page to Kanab via North Rim (230 m)

Wed Sept 30: Day 12 – Kanab to Hatch, via Zion (there and back ride) and Cedar City (there and back ride) (210 m)

Thurs Oct 1: Day 13 – Hatch to Blanding, incorporating Bryce, Escalante etc (310 m)

Fri Oct 2: Day 14 – Blanding to Durango (260 m) - This day may be longer to include Monument Valley.

Sat Oct 3: Day 15 – Durango to Gunnison (230 m)

Sun Oct 4: Day 16 – Gunnison to Moab (280 m)

Mon Oct 5: Day 17 – Moab to SLC (240 m). Total at this point 4,200 miles, with 2 more days to spend. Will get to have a look at Bonneville, and ride this area for a day or two, before heading home to Australia.

We might end up spending another day or so in SW Colorado before heading back to SLC.

Last edited by a moderator: