Route Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopzilla

Reaction score
Taking the family on a road trip, alas in the cage, open to suggestions...

Sacramento to L.A. leg of the trip (destination Disneyland)

I-5 or 99

any advantages of one over the other? Disadvantages?

Sights and scenery?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

ride on

99 is a nightmare. It's like a three hundred mile long drive through L.A..

5 is one step up. Long and straight but with less traffic and fewer on and off ramps. Definitely the quickest route.

More scenic and a bit longer is 101. If you're not in a hurry, this is the way to go.

Hope it helps. Have fun

Mark

Greg, how ya doin? Was talking with George the other day about the first ride I did with the FJR guys and we thought of you and wondered what you were up to!

No advice on your trip but enjoy it!

99 is a nightmare. It's like a three hundred mile long drive through L.A..
5 is one step up. Long and straight but with less traffic and fewer on and off ramps. Definitely the quickest route.

More scenic and a bit longer is 101. If you're not in a hurry, this is the way to go.

Hope it helps. Have fun

Mark
Thanks Mark

quick is the key on way down

for sure 101 on the way home

camp on coast and in Redwoods

(that's when I will really wish I had the bike)

Mark's comments are spot on. The truth of the matter is that unless you have the time to drive down the coast (CA 1) the only thing that matters is getting from North to South. CA 1 is lots of fun but very inefficient. 99 is not much fun. 101 is a little bit of fun. I5 is not much fun but it sure is efficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, how ya doin? Was talking with George the other day about the first ride I did with the FJR guys and we thought of you and wondered what you were up to!No advice on your trip but enjoy it!
Hey Panman,

Doing good, but

swamped by work lately

commuting to Bellingham every day,

mostly by FJR now that weather has turned

running that office since last Dec

will end this month

had no strong inclinations to get on FJR on weekends

due to that, but........my commute is about to get much shorter (back to Everett)

would enjoy getting back together with you all sometime soon