Rubber on the road??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wind drag causes lift. How much is left to the users determination [via calculation &/or direct testing]. Without "lift" counting forces, [cages/trucks/planes use air shape/wings &/or ground effects and things not generally on] street bikes follow the effect outlined. :)

Here in Colorado we don't get to play the top end game too much. But when I do get to play that game it is the side wind effects on the contact patch the give me "pucker factor" concerns. :exhappysmiley:

Ride safe.

rublenoon

Last edited by a moderator:
Wind drag is just friction. Aerodynamics determines lift or downforce. An Indy car is a good example. At top speed, the aerodynamics produce so much downforce, the car would stay mounted to your ceiling.

Scab

I agree, one must have downforce device(s) to keep the tires planted. For the downforce, the indy cars use wings [front and rear] and side pods with air movement to get ground effect. Racing today is getting and keeping traction. It is possible to have too much downforce/traction for the tires as we saw with Michelin based F1 cars at indy last year [michelin found the computer testing alone does not make for a good program].

Street motorcycles don't have these features. So the friction only makes lift. Salt flats bikes have shapes and wings to make downforce. 1950's GP bikes had aero shapes and made more speed per unit horsepower than todays GP bikes.

Ride safe.

rublenoon