Running on Empty / Flashing Fuel Bar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'sokay.

But I haven't really hit the "stuff" in over 20 years.

It's not that I've got a moral issue. It's strictly the legal.

I've got too much to lose to risk it for a quick buzz, when the Feejer provides me with enough of a high.

The fuel guage info, including flashing bars and mileage count is covered in the owners manual.

And fuel pumps have been used this way for decades. They are installed in fuel tanks all the time. I really think you will be safe with this basic design.

This is not to argue with any of the knowledgeable folks contributing to this thread, but just to express an opinion...
What bonehead of an engineer decided to design an ELECTRIC fuel pump that used a highly volatile, highly explosive fluid to keep said pump cool?

So if I'm understanding correctly, if a person runs his FJR dry, the pump, sitting in a nicely enclosed metal container full of incredibly explosive fumes, can suddenly overheat and do what?  Simply and safely shut itself off with an apologetic "sorry for the inconvenience"?  Or fry a winding, throw a spark and launch said FJR and pilot into a low lunar orbit?

I'm about to park this Rube Goldberg of a motorcycle in case the Metzler front tire explodes, the top end starts ticking like a bomb, or that big metal tank between my knees goes up like an Iraqui nuclear plant during Israeli Airforce bombing "practice".

:assasin:
It can short, or overheat, or whatever, but it won't blow up. Liquid gas doesn't burn worth a damn, especially without the third component a fire needs-O2. Usually, the pump just quits running. I've seen a gazillion failed electric fuel pumps, and not one did anything but just quit. And actually, fuel makes for the perfect cooling/lubing medium, since it's readily available. Every car, and I mean every, uses this type of pump nowadays, with excellent results for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
It can short, or overheat, or whatever, but it won't blow up.  Liquid gas doesn't burn worth a damn, especially without the third component a fire needs-O2.  Usually, the pump just quits running.  I've seen a gazillion failed electric fuel pumps, and not one did anything but just quit.  And actually, fuel makes for the perfect cooling/lubing medium, since it's readily available.  Every car, and I mean every, uses this type of pump nowadays, with excellent results for the most part.
AHA!!! I was waiting for someone to come back with this:

Liquid gas doesn't burn worth a damn, especially without the third component a fire needs-O2.
It's outta gas. No fuel to cool the pump. The windings overheat. The lacquer on the windings begins to heat up, char, then vaporize from the heat. Bare metal windings touch, causing a sparking short-circuit, igniting the fuel/air mixture in the tank.

[SIZE=21pt]KABOOM!![/SIZE]

Say "Bye-bye" to Good Ol' RadioHowie.

:angel:

It's out of gas, so the pump isn't immersed in liquid fuel, hence no cooling, there's nothing in the tank but gas fumes and air, assuming your tank vent's working. Otherwise, the only way to know you're NOT gonna blow yourself to Kingdom Come is your tank's collapsed 'cause the tank vent's clogged.

Gosh...and you guys hardly got to know me.

:sad2:

This is not to argue with any of the knowledgeable folks contributing to this thread, but just to express an opinion...
What bonehead of an engineer decided to design an ELECTRIC fuel pump that used a highly volatile, highly explosive fluid to keep said pump cool?

So if I'm understanding correctly, if a person runs his FJR dry, the pump, sitting in a nicely enclosed metal container full of incredibly explosive fumes, can suddenly overheat and do what? Simply and safely shut itself off with an apologetic "sorry for the inconvenience"? Or fry a winding, throw a spark and launch said FJR and pilot into a low lunar orbit?

I'm about to park this Rube Goldberg of a motorcycle in case the Metzler front tire explodes, the top end starts ticking like a bomb, or that big metal tank between my knees goes up like an Iraqui nuclear plant during Israeli Airforce bombing "practice".

:assasin:
Don't know who but not uncommon. My Cummins diesels fuel pump uses the fuel to cool it as well.

Unless your Cummins is different from all the diesels I'm familiar with, it's a mechanical pump. Not much of a chance for an electrical short circuit in a mechanical pump.

Howie, diesels use an electric feed pump to supply the injector pump. And the failure of the electric pump in a gas motor isn't instantaneous, it occurs over time. The likelyhood of it failing in an empty tank is minute-I haven't seen it happen. And if it has, it has not resulted in an explosion, fire, or other catastropy that I have seen. Only a dead motor. Quit with the histrionics already <_<

But my favorite cable channel is The Histrionics Channel, or what my teenage stepdaughters call "The Hitler Channel". :)

As to electric pumps feeding the mechanical pumps in diesels, is that fairly normal in automotive use? Because I have backup diesel generators at my 4 radio station transmitter sites, one Cummins, one Onan, and two Ford-NewHolland units, and not a one of them use an electric "pre-feed". They pickup their fuel directly out of the tank.

Howie,

Just because I care, I'll relieve you of your worries and take that time bomb off your hands. :D

That will also relieve you of the worries of having to install all those farkles you were talking about.

Wouldn't want you to get hurt! :p

First ya gotta install all them farkles for me...then I'll consider it.

Yeah, that's the ticket...consider it. Yeah.

:****:

I seem to recall the manual sez that the last bar begins blinking at 1 gallon left.

But my favorite cable channel is The Histrionics Channel, or what my teenage stepdaughters call "The Hitler Channel".  :)
As to electric pumps feeding the mechanical pumps in diesels, is that fairly normal in automotive use?  Because I have backup diesel generators at my 4 radio station transmitter sites, one Cummins, one Onan, and two Ford-NewHolland units, and not a one of them use an electric "pre-feed".  They pickup their fuel directly out of the tank.
The use of a lift pump in trucks is common, probably not so in equipment with relatively short distances for fuel to travel, or in situations where the tank is level, obove, or at least not much lower than the injection pump. I have seen electric pumps fail on trucks, and the driver not be aware it has occured, until he gets into a high power need, or runs a tank low or empty, and the engine won't prime even with the filters re-filled. Injection pumps do have fuel draw capabilities, but on todays high torque-high horsepressure engines, it simply doesn't get the job done.

Answer to original question> I once put 40 miles on after the fuel blinker hit. I cut back on speed, lowered the shield, hunkered down and made it. Pretty sure there is 1.4 US gallons to work with, so 60 miles would be the max.

But I'm with Rad, I don't advise pushing it like that just for fun. I'm usually filling before the blink to keep it cool (fuel tank and fuel pump). Just blew it that time on gas stations open in central Oregon. FWIW, I also avoid the remote mom 'n pop gas stations if I can. Might be urban myth, but I always ASSumed high volume stations would have better quality gas, less chance of contaminants, water especially.

As for RadioHowie, looking at your avatar, I'd be more concerned about parking next to that forest fire, lava flow or warehouse fire, than implosion from the fried fuel pump! :bigeyes:

Unless your Cummins is different from all the diesels I'm familiar with, it's a mechanical pump. Not much of a chance for an electrical short circuit in a mechanical pump.
Yes, you are correct I was just talking about running it dry.

Friday night, on my way to Anaheim, the fuel bar started flashing at 203 miles. I chickened out and pulled off for fuel at 248 miles. Don't know how low it was as I just put in a couple of gallons and topped off Saturday evening for the ride home. The risk of running out in the #1 lane of heavy SoCal freeway traffic just wasn't worth pushing it. I figure I can probably go 40 miles though. It was kinda like that Seinfeld episode, but with more to lose.

Hmmm. Not just the fuel pump to worry about RadioHowie... what about the fuel indicator? My Ford F250 indicator consists of a potentiometer in the gas tank with a float attached.

As the float moves, the exposed wiper rubs against metal wires to change the resistance!

I'm with RH - from now on I'm using nuclear power. This gas stuff is too dangerous..