Russell, Corbin, Sargent, Meyer, Mustang

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a dual Russell Day Long. It appears that most believe it is the most comfortable yet ugliest seat available. The wife asks me if there is something cheaper and comparable to the Russell whereby I tell her its probably the Meyer seat for about $100.00 less. However, its my understanding that the Meyers, Sargents and Corbins are very good seats (and better looking) but there would be a point that butt burn would eventually occur. Not so on the Russell. In other words, butt burn would not be the limiting factor on a long ride with the Russell. Agreed?

My riding buddy has a Honda VTX1300 and is considering a Russell. However, Mustang makes a great seat for his bike (why don't they make em for FJR's?) for a couple of hundred less. Can anyone compare a Mustang to a Russell? If they are close, I say get the Mustang and save some dough.

It appears that most believe it is the most comfortable yet ugliest seat available. The wife asks me if there is something cheaper and comparable to the Russell whereby I tell her its probably the Meyer seat for about $100.00 less. ......
I think you're talking about Mayer and there are two of them...Bill and Rick.

But, the big difference is that Russell and Mayers are truly CUSTOM seats that are fitted to you. And if they don't fit you send them back until they get it right.

The others are after-market seats I believe and not custom built for you.

And you call it ugly...others call it functional. They don't call the Russell a "day-long" for no reason. You think pretty is really important...go with somebody else.

I have a Rick Mayer...it's good looking and fairly comfortable. But, I should have got a Russell or a Bill Mayer.

I have the Rick Mayer, leather, and like it fine. My longest consecutive days are usually in the 400 mile range. No problem so far. Now if your talking about a string of 1000 mile days, then you would be well advised to heed Iggy's advice. He knows miles.

IMO comfort rules when choosing seats. Your butt doesn't have eyes.

Spend your money on a Mustang or a Corbin for pretty. Spend it on a Russell for long distance comfort. I can ride all day long on my Russell, day after day with no squirming. My wife and I wasted a lot of dollars on Mustangs and Corbins trying to get all day comfort.

I have the Rick Mayer, leather, and like it fine. My longest consecutive days are usually in the 400 mile range. No problem so far. Now if your talking about a string of 1000 mile days, then you would be well advised to heed Iggy's advice. He knows miles.
IMO comfort rules when choosing seats. Your butt doesn't have eyes.
Good one. Wish I had said it. :lol2:

Spend your money on a Mustang or a Corbin for pretty. Spend it on a Russell for long distance comfort. I can ride all day long on my Russell, day after day with no squirming. My wife and I wasted a lot of dollars on Mustangs and Corbins trying to get all day comfort.
Large+1 Lots of smiles from the wife and when riding alone I only stop for fuel.

My bike came with a Corbin driver's seat which is the most uncomfortable, hard, slick seat that I ever sat on. I picked up a used Sargent combo off of eBay and believe that it is a great bang for the buck (butt :lol: ). I have an Ultimate with backrest on my Valk which I really like as well. On the Valk forum, the Russell seems to get the nod with Ultimate coming in second.

I have a Corbin which I found comfortable but my pillion didn't. I took the plunge and bought Russell in the last group by over the winter. I've only had a chance to ride with the Russel for a little over a hundred mile. To be honest, I'm not finding it that comfortable. they say it takes 1000 miles to break in. So, I'll give it that but as of right now I'm not impressed with the comfort.(great workmanship though). I hope it breaks in and my butt loves it

I found my Corbin comfortable from day one.

I keep getting Corbins, but not because I love Corbins. Bought two used FJRs, and they both came with Corbin on; ended up trading the first one for a less expensive Sargent, which was MUCH more comfy. That one I described as riding on a polished telephone pole. Current bike has a different Corbin, better than the first, but still not really comfortable enough. I've added a bead rider and an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad (not together) and they help, but only some. Anybody want to trade their Russell for a Gen 1 Corbin?

BTW, I got a Corbin for my KLR, and it was custom made for me down in Hollister. A much different animal than the ones they put on Feejers, IMO. That one, I liked.

I have had stock, Bill Mayer and Russell:

Stock: Just didn't work after about 50 - 100 miles on my bony butt.

Bill Mayer: Pricey, was at best an incremental improvement.

Russell: Without question the best seat investment I have ever made on any motorcycle - bar none. Incredibly comfortable. I have used for a 1,000 mile "iron butt" ride home without any discomfort and many, many 250 - 400 mile days. Only possible drawback to me is that you are a bit "cradled" in the seat so it is difficult to shift around in seat on aggressive riding days.

Sargent: I have ridden once for about 250 miles. Better than Bill Mayer, but it is no Russell. Easier to move around in though on aggressive rides.

I've had the Corbin ( leather covered log IMO), the stocker, which was much too soft and threatened to permanently ruin the boys on a cross country and currently a Sargent. Sargent is the best of the three for me by far.

Before purchasing the Sargent I had sat briefly on anothers Russell and wasn't impressed, though I admit to being in the minority there. If I had rode it for a couple days I may have come away thinking otherwise but wasn't willing to take the chance for the money.