Russell Day Long Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleTy

LOVE 2 RIDE & RIDE 2 LOVE
Reaction score
I am interested in the "Russell Backrest" and wanted to get some helpful feedback.

Questions:

1. What was your overall satisfaction level?

2. How did it fit you?

3. Was there a variety of adjustment options (up & down, forward & backwards)?

4. Lastly, would you have made the same purchase again?

Thank you for your time and help
smilingsmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one on my ST1300. It only adjusted fore/aft (tilt). I liked it just fine. I always used it when solo. It really helped enforce good posture. But it took up too much room for 2-up. It digs into the passenger's crotch and inner thighs.

My only complaint was that it always flopped down except when you parked nose uphill. That's partly due to where the adjustment was comfortable for me. But I found it a little annoying that I always had to prop it up before swinging a leg over.

Thank you for the feedback. This was my assumption too, that it did not have much adjust-ability from looking at the pictures on Russell's website :)

I have a Russell on my VEE Strom w/ a back rest. Going to get one for my FJR. I like it just fine. Back rest slides right out for short trips. They do a great job. If you get the heated seat, you might want to think about a controller from 1st gear or one of those folks, Russell is either ON or OFF.

I too purchased the Russell backrest for the FJR several years ago and have no complaints. I primarily ride solo, and can't comment on how it does or doesn't work for the passenger. The backrest does offer adjustment both for/aft and up/down. Also, the hinge is sufficeinly snug so that the rest never moves forward without effort on my part.

Tempus

Thank for the feedback. The backrest looks like you can uninstall it when you are riding two up, this would be a very nice option to have :)