Russell Day Long Material Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I know, I know, Russell saddle threads are common. I've read dozens already here and on other forums. What I haven't seen much of is discussion regarding their 'gripper' material. One of my complaints about my Rick Mayer saddle (which has given good service for 7 of it's 9 years) currently on the bike is that the leather is slippery and I'm constantly repositioning my self to where it feels good.

I spoke with Kim at RDL and she explained that the 'gripper' material will be very 'grippy' when new and gradually lose a little grippinees as it ages but will always be more grippy that either plain vinyl or smooth leather.

I sat on someone's Gripper RDL at NERDS this past year and thought it would work pretty good.

I'm just looking for a little owner feed back about the 'Gripper' material, good or bad, before I place my order this week.

Comments appreciated.

Russ

I can't help you with your question, but I hope I can be permitted a partial hijack by adding a related question to the discussion.

I’ve also been considering RDL saddles but I’m concerned about the non-waterproof aspect. Russell says that regardless of the cover material their seats should not be considered to be waterproof due to the stitch holes. This goes against my usual practice of using all weather-proof gear almost all the time (i.e. Gore Tex jackets, pants, boots, gloves).

So here’s the hijack question: If I were to go with a vinyl RDL how much of a concern is water penetration? I guess I could cover the seats when parked outside at the end of the day, but would I have to pull over at the side of the road to put on a cover when heading into a storm cloud?

Again, sorry about the hijack but I figured those with the knowledge to answer your question could probably address mine at the same time.

G.

I prefer leather myself, and yes it is a little slipperier.... no experience with the gripper material. One could use some of that shelf liner stuff if need be.

As for waterproofness, rub some beeswax leather conditioner into the stitch lines. If you don't have a cover, park your bike on the side stand and water will run off. I haven't had a soggy wet seat because it rained on it, just wipe it off and go.

If the seat is properly designed and created to cradle your rear end, you really won't need the grippiness to keep you from sliding around.

On a long ride on a warm day, I much prefer the breathability of the leather over vinyl (have that on my Vstrom's RDL). I imagine their gripper material is a form of vinyl, right?

To those with a leather saddle, I've noticed that wiping it with Lexol not only improves its weather resistance it also adds a certain amount of short term grippiness to smooth leather.

I used to worry about covering the RDL when out in rain. Now I just wipe the leather one with Lexol every now and then. I have never had any water absorption problems with either seat, even when left out in the rain overnight. It may be significant that they are both the half moon pattern stitching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much RaYzerman and Fred. Glad to hear I'm worrying too much (I figured I couldn't be the only guy who ever got caught in a downpour for 8 hours of riding!).

G.