Russell Day-Long

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky

Reaction score
Sunday I left Indio for all points North, I ended up in Lake Shasta where I had a appt with Russell for a new Seat.

I waited all day long with some fittings by Mike my seat builder. They were terrific and the seat is great. Onlu one way to go when U want a new seat!

Russell Day-Long. I read it here on one of the posts and its true. The seat broke in in two hours and except for a minor concern of stretching it is great and I would recomend this seat to everyone, that is if I could spell recomend... Is there 2 c's?? Anyway if U have questions, Ask. I did a tan leather on an Maroon 07 with black sides and no I dont know how to posts pics. I will email pics to someone if U want to see the seat!

Lucky :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :chickawow: :clapping: :chickawow: :bye: :clapping:

Thanks sto NightShine we now have pics... Scroll down

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you Lucky!

I have the Bill Mayer seat but still kinda wonder what the R seat would be like...

I have a brand new Russell sitting on me bike right now. I cannot wait for the road cleaning crew to finish.

What a stellar group of people as well. No problems what-so-ever.

They even called me at home during my build to make sure of something.

Two thumbs way up. I have 10 kms on it but it is superb. Even sitting on it in the garage is amazing.

Also the best money I have spent on the FJR. Well I have the GP suspension forks and Penshe shock to install yet and the roads are still salty. So I will see if that stays the same. B)

Dana

Another POV:

I've only seen two Russells--the Day-Long I bought for my FZ1 and one I saw on an FJR a couple of years ago. Both owners were disappointed with them because they shove you onto the tank, defeating the whole purpose of the seat. The distance betweent eh front and back of the seat is just too short. I sent mine back twice and it STILL wasn't right. I did some surgery on it myself and it's better, but STILL not right.

Curiously the passenger portion of the seat is fantastic. A pillion passenger could go all day on it. I TOLD them: Make the Driver's seat just like the Pillion but they didn't.

Just my POV.

When I submitted my order to the Russell folks for a leather seat I told them:

1) Put extra material where the seat meets the tank so I don't get hot air coming up from the tank (i.e. seal the seat/tank joint)

2) Make the seat so I don't get pushed into the tank, I want it level

3) Make the seat at least an inch taller so my knees aren't at quite the sharp angle as the regular seat

The Russell folks came through for me on all three things. No hot air, seat level & I don't kiss the gas tank unless I want to, knees don't complain after a long ride. YMMV, no vendor link, etc etc

Another POV:I've only seen two Russells--the Day-Long I bought for my FZ1 and one I saw on an FJR a couple of years ago. Both owners were disappointed with them because they shove you onto the tank, defeating the whole purpose of the seat. The distance betweent eh front and back of the seat is just too short. I sent mine back twice and it STILL wasn't right. I did some surgery on it myself and it's better, but STILL not right.

Curiously the passenger portion of the seat is fantastic. A pillion passenger could go all day on it. I TOLD them: Make the Driver's seat just like the Pillion but they didn't.

Just my POV.
This is the only negative review I have ever seen of Daylongs, which speaks volumes for them imo...

Look, if a Day-Long works for YOU then far be it for me to say anything but "Terrific! Enjoy!"

I was disappointed and I saw someone else that was. That's all.

There's no way to know if a saddle works for you other than to sit on it and ride it. All the talk won't change what your butt tells you. If it's comfortable and a blessing, no criticism is valid. If it's awful and you hate it, all the testimonials in the world won't mean jack to you.

Sunday I left Indio for all points North, I ended up in Lake Shasta where I had a appt with Russell for a new Seat. I waited all day long with some fittings by Mike my seat builder. They were terrific and the seat is great. Onlu one way to go when U want a new seat!

Russell Day-Long. I read it here on one of the posts and its true. The seat broke in in two hours and except for a minor concern of stretching it is great and I would recomend this seat to everyone, that is if I could spell recomend... Is there 2 c's?? Anyway if U have questions, Ask. I did a tan leather on an Maroon 07 with black sides and no I dont know how to posts pics. I will email pics to someone if U want to see the seat!

Lucky :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :chickawow: :clapping: :chickawow: :bye: :clapping:
Since you seem to be the only one in this thread to have a 2007 ( AKA same as a 2006) I have a question. I am 6'5" and ride with the stock seat in the "high" position. How did you have them make your seat in terms of height? Riding in would be great but alas a tad difficult from MA in March:) I too want to order one and I am curious to know other directions that people asked for to componsate for the stock seat. Thanks!

Sunday I left Indio for all points North, I ended up in Lake Shasta where I had a appt with Russell for a new Seat. I waited all day long with some fittings by Mike my seat builder. They were terrific and the seat is great. Onlu one way to go when U want a new seat!

Since you seem to be the only one in this thread to have a 2007 ( AKA same as a 2006) I have a question. I am 6'5" and ride with the stock seat in the "high" position. How did you have them make your seat in terms of height? Riding in would be great but alas a tad difficult from MA in March:) I too want to order one and I am curious to know other directions that people asked for to componsate for the stock seat. Thanks!
Hey six foot something,,, I am sort of short (in all depts, another story) I have a 29" inseam so I need it lower. Call Russell and talk to Mike the seat builder. He is very knowlegeable and good. i have a feeling he can make it as high as you need but no lower then I have and I am almost flatfooted not quite but very happy. I did 185 miles yesterday in 100 degree heat and no seat problems.

Lucky

QUOTE(lucky @ Mar 17 2007, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will email pics to someone if U want to see the seat!

Consider it done. That backrest is just too cool!

Lucky's pictures:

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

I've seen plenty of pics with the drivers back rest, and that looks nice, but I've never seen a pic with a passengers backrest, nor can I find on the Russel site that the passenger seat even has a backrest available?

so the question to the forum peoples:

Does Russel have a passenger back rest?

I've seen plenty of pics with the drivers back rest, and that looks nice, but I've never seen a pic with a passengers backrest, nor can I find on the Russel site that the passenger seat even has a backrest available?
so the question to the forum peoples:

Does Russel have a passenger back rest?
No passaanger backrest. The way the backrest is designed it slides into and under the rear seat. So no way to mount for passanger

Those colors really look great on that bike... That is the first nice looking Russell seat I have ever seen. I am not sure if it is the bike color I like, the seat color, or both.