Russell Seat Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerc

Reaction score
What have others done when designing your Russell Seat.

Do any of you have a drivers back rest and how do you like it?

Did you get the Pillion seat done too. I am planning on this since it would probably look weird with just the one seat done.

In general what have you done for your personal design and how do you like it?

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
I did get the pillion done, but only because the old lady and I do a one or two week summer motorcycle vacation and she gets real onery in the stock seat. It's been alot better for her. Didn't do the drivers back rest. Have not had any back problems with distance just PITA.

Nothing else to really personalize it. The aesthetics are well, unique. But comfort was my goal.

It's not exactly directly applicable, but FWIW, I recently had a seat built by Bill Mayer down south. I seldom have a pillion, and then, short rides only. So I didn't go for a rebuild of that seat. But they did re-cover both parts so they look the same. Pretty sure that's standard for other makers.

On the front-seat backrest, I kind of like the idea. If you've ridden with a lot of gear strapped down on the back seat--like on a camping trip, for example--you know whether or not you like having that support back there to relax against. I do. As long as I could remove it easily as needed, I think I'd enjoy one.

Finally, it's always best if you can do a ride-in. And even then, take your time when they ask you how you like it "so far," which they do a few times as the build progresses. Don't forget that it will feel different when covered than it does sitting on bare foam (duh). I'm afraid I wish they'd made the pocket a little deeper--might end up going back and paying more for a rebuild one of these days.

I did the pillion. My wife doesn't give me grief about risking my life on a bike, so I think she deserves her own custom portion of the seat for those times when she let's me risk her life as well.

I did both seats with Russell during this fall's group buy partially because my passenger actually complained sooner than I did on the stock seats. She would complain after about 2 hours on the stock vs. I was good for ~4 hours on the stock driver seat before becoming restless. We've done a couple 5-6 hour days since then and both butts were still comfy.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. One caviat is the heated seat for me. Glad I went for it up here in the Northeast.

Switch for heated seat for driver on the side

Dave

Thanks for the feedback and the pictures.

That looks great and the heated seat sounds awesome.

RC

I did both seats as part of the group buy last fall. The main reason I got the Russell was for my wife, but after having put a few thousand miles on it, I'd never go back.

FYI, here is something I learned from running the group buy:

It is substantially more money to have the passenger seat done at a later date if you just get the rider done and pillion recovered initially.

If you get the pillion built at the same time as yours, it's only $125 more than getting yours built and just having the pillion recovered. If the pillion decides they want the seat done later, you'll pay for a complete S-1 solo build ($375) to get it made. The reason for the cost difference is that a new cover must be made to fit the pillion seat when it gets reworked.

Hope this helps,

-Paul