Russell seat...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiz1974

Reaction score
So, I received my Russell seat last Tuesday and luckily the weather co-operated Friday and Saturday for me to ride and then for the wife and I to take a short ride. Short story, I do know that my wife will never let the pillion seat go as she loves it. She sits up a little higher, but says she is in a much more natural position than the seat on a Goldwing that we test rode this past summer. So, as the saying goes, Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Now for my side...

Right out of the box, I was really impressed with the quality of the workmanship of the seat. Flawless. (I ordered the leather inserts and vinyl sides). I took me a couple of tries to get it to latch, but after I did, it fit like the stock seat for the most part. I can see where the pillion seat will rub the grab rails. Not sure what that will do. I wouldn't call the seat "ugly"... but it sure is different looking.

The first thing I noticed, as I tried to back the bike out of the garage is, the reach to the ground changed. I have since learned that I have to scoot forward on the seat when stopping. I will miss the reach, but can adjust. The next thing I noticed, this seat is slick. At first I thought it was the material of my Olympia pants, but on the second ride both the wife and I had jeans on and it still remains very slick. Maybe some weathering and wear will change that. I started out disappointed on my solo ride. I no longer feel like I sit in the bike, more like I'm sitting on top of the bike. I don't like this at all. I would venture to guess the seat raised me up a good inch and a half. Doesn't sound like all that much, but it made a huge difference. My reach to the handle bars has changed as well. There is a instruction page that comes with the seat that tells you not to try to sit back on the seat and not forward. Very accurate instructions. I really feel the seat forces you into the Master Yoda Riding position that has been discussed before. But, even doing that, I still could not get my reach to the bars to where I felt relaxed. I do have bar risers (1 1/8 inch) that were installed by the dealer before I bought the bike. I may look into taller ones to see if I can remedy the reach. Don't get me wrong here, the seat is as comfortable as advertised, no doubt about that. And I am sure, just as it took me some time to adjust to the bike in the beginning, I will adjust to the seat and get the kinks worked out. Right now, I would give the seat maybe a 7 out of 10. I am sure that will change with some extended seat time. All in all, I am sure this will turn into a great farkle...

And I am sure, just as it took me some time to adjust to the bike in the beginning, I will adjust to the seat and get the kinks worked out.

I have no doubt this is the case. My friend bought a mustang seat for his VTX1800. Initially he didn't think it was any better and than the stock seat. As time goes on and he gets use to different seating position, he says he has no regrets and loves the seat. Get those 500-1000 miles that is suggested to break the seat in and then post back. I'm also waiting on mine. Should be done in a couple weeks at the most...

:yahoo:

Thanks much for the honest first appraisal. It's often tough to "fess up" after spending money on a farkle. ;)

I suspect many here would welcome follow up posts as you get that puppy "lived in". There are many who'd like to purchase a Russell, but remain skeptical due to the cost. A community made up of folks like you posting honest feedback is key in many decisions around more expensive farkles.

I am certainly personally interested in hearing more as the miles pile on. :)

Here's hoping for more good weather for you...say, for at least another 500 miles of riding... :D

Thanks much for the honest first appraisal. It's often tough to "fess up" after spending money on a farkle. ;)
I suspect many here would welcome follow up posts as you get that puppy "lived in". There are many who'd like to purchase a Russell, but remain skeptical due to the cost. A community made up of folks like you posting honest feedback is key in many decisions around more expensive farkles.

Here's hoping for more good weather for you...say, for at least another 500 miles of riding... :D
I will certainly follow up on this. I was on the fence about ordering the seat (costly), but knew if I was going to keep the bike, I would have to remedy the comfort issues that the wife and I were having first. Unfortunately, good (long) riding days are numbered here in Central Illinois. They have already started spraying bridges and overpasses. But, I will definitely throw out any updates.

I will certainly follow up on this. I was on the fence about ordering the seat (costly), but knew if I was going to keep the bike, I would have to remedy the comfort issues that the wife and I were having first. Unfortunately, good (long) riding days are numbered here in Central Illinois. They have already started spraying bridges and overpasses. But, I will definitely throw out any updates.
Don't let weather interrupt this important data gathering! Ship the seat to me here in Seattle and I'll ensure it sees 500 miles in a couple weeks. :) A group of us did almost 200 miles this past weekend, and I still commute into work every day on the Black Bardge. :) 39 degrees this morning and sunny. :) Heck, for that matter, I'm sure we could find someone in even warmer climes who'd jump at the opportunity.

Now, I say this in passing, as this idea literally jumped into my mind when I saw your post. If you are so inclined to pursue this, drop a PM and we'll figure out details. I am NOT expecting you to suddenly part with a high dollar seat so others may learn on your dime (literally). Just gently tossing the idea out - who knows, it might catch on like the "test a windescreen idea" did... :D

I too just recieved my new Russell seat, about one month ago. I also thought the reach to ground was longer, and more awkward. The seat is slippery. When ordering my seat, I requested that it not raise my position, and that I would actually like to set back a half or one inch more than in the stock seat. When ordering a seat, don't be bashful about what you want. Talk to them.

Initial impressions were that it was just like getting used to a new bike. I'm tall, and have to watch it when stopping, that I can get a good foot on the ground. My left foot went to sleep on long rides, due to the seat firmly contacting the back of my thigh. I do have a good amount of forward and aft movement available, if I want it, but right in the middle is where I am comfortable. Now after over 1000miles of break in, throw any gripes out the window! The seat does definitely break in. The instructions with the seat state that a break-in is required, and that if after break-in, it isn't right, Russell will alter the seat for a fee.

I can't imagine a better seat than this. I was having pain from arthritis, or just being damn old, limit my riding time. With this Russell seat, I have not found my limit yet. I've done 350 mile trips, no pain. Where my legs contact the seat when stopped (feet on the ground) has softened up, and I'm used to it. The seat is still slippery, but again, I am used to it. I just grip the tank with knees when braking. I only puchased the front seat, as I ride solo. I like it alot!

Don't let weather interrupt this important data gathering! Ship the seat to me here in Seattle and I'll ensure it sees 500 miles in a couple weeks. :) A group of us did almost 200 miles this past weekend, and I still commute into work every day on the Black Bardge. :) 39 degrees this morning and sunny. :) Heck, for that matter, I'm sure we could find someone in even warmer climes who'd jump at the opportunity.

Now, I say this in passing, as this idea literally jumped into my mind when I saw your post. If you are so inclined to pursue this, drop a PM and we'll figure out details. I am NOT expecting you to suddenly part with a high dollar seat so others may learn on your dime (literally). Just gently tossing the idea out - who knows, it might catch on like the "test a windescreen idea" did... :D
You'll be fighting the wife for the seat...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiz,

Sounds like you are understanding the whole process pretty well. Yeah, it does feel "different" at first. That feeling too high part will go away with continued use as the seat breaks in (you'll get a bit lower) and you become accustomed to it. You'll also quickly get used to slightly sliding forward at stops. Soon it will be second nature and you won't think twice about it.

With the leather seating surface, try rubbing some Lexol or other good leather conditioner into it. Whatever is on the surface of the leather from the factory is very slippery. Lexol will soften and conditions the leather and makes the surface just a bit tacky, which is good for butt holding. Leather will always be a bit more slippery than a vinyl seat. But that is also partly where the comfort comes from. A Vinyl surface tends to grab your clothing and create bunching that will cause hot spots.

As the seat conforms to your seat, you'll develop more of a "pocket" and some of the unintentional sliding will stop.

Keep riding on the seat and it will grow on you immensely. Take it from me, soon you will wonder how you ever rode more than an hour on the stock seat. I have ~ 20k miles on mine now and it just keeps getting better and better. I never think about having to take a break for my butt anymore. You really can ride all day long.

edit - Oh, and no need for any "research". All of this is has been well tested and documented. Sportsguy will just have to spring for his own Russell!! :p

I too just recieved my new Russell seat, about one month ago. I also thought the reach to ground was longer, and more awkward. The seat is slippery. When ordering my seat, I requested that it not raise my position, and that I would actually like to set back a half or one inch more than in the stock seat. When ordering a seat, don't be bashful about what you want. Talk to them.

Initial impressions were that it was just like getting used to a new bike. I'm tall, and have to watch it when stopping, that I can get a good foot on the ground. My left foot went to sleep on long rides, due to the seat firmly contacting the back of my thigh. I do have a good amount of forward and aft movement available, if I want it, but right in the middle is where I am comfortable. Now after over 1000miles of break in, throw any gripes out the window! The seat does definitely break in. The instructions with the seat state that a break-in is required, and that if after break-in, it isn't right, Russell will alter the seat for a fee.

I can't imagine a better seat than this. I was having pain from arthritis, or just being damn old, limit my riding time. With this Russell seat, I have not found my limit yet. I've done 350 mile trips, no pain. Where my legs contact the seat when stopped (feet on the ground) has softened up, and I'm used to it. The seat is still slippery, but again, I am used to it. I just grip the tank with knees when braking. I only puchased the front seat, as I ride solo. I like it alot!
I fully anticipate being able to write this same response in a couple of months after break-in and getting use to the seat.

Wiz,

Sounds like you are understanding the whole process pretty well. Yeah, it does feel "different" at first. That feeling too high part will go away with continued use as the seat breaks in (you'll get a bit lower) and you become accustomed to it. You'll also quickly get used to slightly sliding forward at stops. Soon it will be second nature and you won't think twice about it.

With the leather seating surface, try rubbing some Lexol or other good leather conditioner into it. Whatever is on the surface of the leather from the factory is very slippery. Lexol will soften and conditions the leather and makes the surface just a bit tacky, which is good for butt holding. Leather will always be a bit more slippery than a vinyl seat. But that is also partly where the comfort comes from. A Vinyl surface tends to grab your clothing and create bunching that will cause hot spots.

As the seat conforms to your seat, you'll develop more of a "pocket" and some of the unintentional sliding will stop.

Keep riding on the seat and it will grow on you immensely. Take it from me, soon you will wonder how you ever rode more than an hour on the stock seat. I have ~ 20k miles on mine now and it just keeps getting better and better. I never think about having to take a break for my butt anymore. You really can ride all day long.

edit - Oh, and no need for any "research". All of this is has been well tested and documented. Sportsguy will just have to spring for his own Russell!! :p
Thanks Fred. Just like I trusted this forum on buying the FJR and getting everything to my liking with it, I will trust the forum with the seat. You guys have yet to be wrong when in comes to all things FJR.

As far as any "research" goes... it ain't gonna happen.

Helpful... thanks... ;) LOL

Screw this wonton spending of money on voodoo seats! I'm adding beads to mine and riding to Mexico this weekend! :D

I just sent my seat in. My build date is the 10th. I probably won't get a chance to test it before the end of the year due to the Christmas Holiday and vacation.

I don't have a problem starting 2010 needing to ride to break in a seat :yahoo:

To those considering a Russell, or any custom seat. A neat way to work out the pain in the --- of sending in your seat so the seat builder has a seat pan, keep an eye on eBay and other sites, to buy a spare seat, or seats. Send in the worst of the two you now own, and no sweat about the time the seat is at the shop. You can keep the extra to sell with the bike(if you ever sell it).

When I fist got my seat, I wasn't that fond of it. My left leg kept falling asleep, and even at 6' I was on my tip toes at a stop. I kept telling myself, just a thousand miles... Just 1500 miles... I considered sending it back for modifications, but I'd done a ride-in for the original build and I was afraid that with my special requirements, that was as good as it would get. It actually took, I'm gonna guess, about 5k miles until my seat was perfect. I just hopped on one day, and it was like the heavens opened and the angels were signing and my butt, at long last, was happy. I have about 30k on it now, including an IBR, and I think it's the best money I've spent on my bike by far.

The hubby sat on my bike when I first got it, and he didn't like it at all. The he used it for a day on a road trip after it was thoroughly broken in, and he refused to give it back until I promised he could get his own. He's breaking his in right now, and he's already excited about taking more and longer trips now that he's comfy.

I guess what I'm saying is, you're not alone in your initial assessment, but don't give up! I'm willing to be that once you throw a pile of miles on that baby and you'll be loving it too.

I expect a call regarding my Russell any day. Build date was a week ago. Merry Christmas to me (and the wife)!

The discount received on the build is the same about as the speeding ticket I got last week!

I had already been warned to expect to NOT fall in love for a few hundred to 1K miles.

If you are sending your seat off, and can not fine a pan cheap, I recommend posting here requesting a loaner. I did not want to loss 3 weeks to a month of riding due to the seat. Within 24 hours I have 2 or 3 forum members willing to send out a spare to borrow during the down time! And, thanks to Russ I know know the difference between the stock and a gel. The gel seat feels a bit wider in the pocket, and certainly firmer. I've not spent more than 30-40 minutes in the gel saddle, but can tell it would be an improvement for longer days than the stocker.

I bought my Russell for -- well, Day Long Comfort. It does that, other things are incidental and can be dealt with. I haven't had a moment of butt fatigue or pain right from the very first ride which was my objective for the saddle.

OK here's something a bit bizarre. While I have a Sargent seat a friend of mine who it a bit of a long distance nut bought a Russell for his bike. The Bike, a Honda RC51. Yes that V twin sport bike they built for a few years back It was the first one they had done for that bike. He says that while it's much better than stock there are of course compromises. Limited amount of seat pan and room for foam. He had done a few tours of a couple of 1000 mile trips with it.

I gotta laugh at this, great post Wendy!

I guess what I'm saying is, you're not alone in your initial [SIZE=12pt]ass[/SIZE]essment, but don't give up!

For what it's worth, I'm on a mega buck Bill Mayer seat, custom made via a 4 hour long build process. I like it, but want to try others. I'm buying a used seat pan, my next try will be with......

It's a secret for now..