RZ350’s Gen II Mods, Part 3 - Flip Up Drivers Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RZ350

Reaction score
Link to all my Gen II mods

I originally designed this backrest for my Triumph Tiger but it was easily adapted to the FJR since the GEN II FJR has a very similarly proportioned 2-piece driver/passenger seat. It can be installed or removed in about 30 seconds without any tools. It can be flipped up or down with one hand while riding and it has a small amount of fore/aft adjustment. On the FJR, it works with either my OEM or Corbin seat (Corbin shown). To increase the functionality, I added some small bags to carry things such as rain gear.

Here is a picture of the backrest assembly by itself:

4286636912_049873c109_o.jpg

Here are some pictures of the backrest installed on the FJR:

4286637008_488b170e98_o.jpg

4285894233_82903e3021_o.jpg

Here are some pictures of the backrest installed on the Tiger:

4285893649_076aef4b31_o.jpg

4285893765_d926b2b6f3_o.jpg

WHY A FLIP-DOWN STYLE?

BMW originally installed these on the R1200C as an option, and it could be positioned to serve as either a small passenger seat or a driver backrest. On my bikes, the down position would never be used for a passenger seat since the assembly actually sits on top of the OEM passenger seat and is much too high. If I need to carry a passenger (maybe once a year – wife has own bikes) I just take the backrest assembly completely off. I chose this flipping style backrest for another reason, however. There are really two ways to hop on a bike, foot first over the driver seat, or swinging a bent leg over the passenger seat. I do the latter (the Tiger really is too tall to go foot first) and I wanted the backrest to be out of the way for swinging the leg over it.

IT NEEDED A LITTLE MODIFICATION TO FIT

From the factory, the base plate of this backrest is curved to match the rear fender. I cut this off to make it flat and added a 1/2” thick pad so it wouldn’t damage my passenger seat vinyl. I had to replace the heavy spring in the backrest release knob with a lighter one so I could pull the knob while seated. I’m sure BMW went extra heavy with this spring for safety reasons, but I haven’t had any problem with the lighter one installed.

I then added front and a rear quick-disconnect mounts to the backrest assembly and mating halves to the bike. This is the SS quick-release hinge that worked nicely as the mount https://www.reidsupply.com/Detail.aspx?itm=SC-6611). I think Southco is the hinge OEM. The rear receiving mount on the bikes is simply attached to the rear case or rack and stays there permanently since it doesn’t really get in the way when not in use. I had to get a little creative with the front mount since I wanted it to “disappear” when the backrest was not installed. On the FJR, the front mount attaches to the bottom of the passenger seat and hinges up between the seats when needed. On the Tiger, a hinged plate mounts to the driver seat (pictures were before a coat of paint).

Here are the FJR mounts:

4286637314_ff14240ef3_o.jpg

4286637206_69b6d55c18_o.jpg

4286637484_51a3347e72_o.jpg

4285894521_5933e0f136_o.jpg

4286637828_5010a7ae4d_o.jpg

4285894839_be603a494e_o.jpg

4286637556_027dd17d0e_o.jpg

4286637732_0534e7c001_o.jpg

Here are the Tiger mounts (before it's coat of paint):

4285893899_6c2192e1c4_o.jpg

4285893977_052eddf0cd_o.jpg

4286636726_176569d6f3_o.jpg

AND A COUPLE OTHER FEATURES

As I mentioned earlier, I added some small soft bags to the base plate for quick access storage. I find them most useful for my rain suit since I can get it quickly without open up and getting rain in my hard bags when those sudden storms hit. With the backrest up, a nice little “cradle” is formed between these side bags to carry extra gear in a pinch - I lose the flip-down feature, of course, if anything is stowed there. I mounted them to the sides of the base plate with a quick-disconnect system designed for bicycle handlebar bags (made by Jandd), but found that I never really needed to take them off so that fab time was probably wasted.

4286637924_81c145fa3a_o.jpg

4286638020_53537fb78d_o.jpg

I also added a small pad at the front of the base plate for tailbone protection when the backrest is flipped down. It slides up for access to the front mount.

4286638134_b1e6bd8c7b_o.jpg

IN CLOSING

A driver backrest is a real pleasure on those long rides. Combined with forward mounted footpegs and pull-back handlebars, they allow you click away those interstate miles effortlessly. I've been using this backrest now for about 5 years and I wouldn't give it up. I only hope it will adapt to my next new bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
RZ350, nice fab work on the seat back install. Just curious, how much does that thing weight?

Btw, that is one kick-ass workshop you've got, I had to register to see the pics, after I saw the montage picture.

RZ350, nice fab work on the seat back install. Just curious, how much does that thing weight?Btw, that is one kick-ass workshop you've got, I had to register to see the pics, after I saw the montage picture.
Thanks JamesK for your comments. You got me curious about the weight so I just threw it on the postal scale - 14 pounds even (with rain gear and a few other items in the bags).

RZ,

I really like the back rest setup and bags, nicely done. I too registered to check out your Asylum as I'm in the market to build a "Man Cave" and am looking for ideas. Great get away place and looks to be first cabin, you should be proud!

RZ, I really like the back rest setup and bags, nicely done. I too registered to check out your Asylum as I'm in the market to build a "Man Cave" and am looking for ideas. Great get away place and looks to be first cabin, you should be proud!
Thanks. That garage website is the place you want to be if you're looking for ideas. There are some really cool builds there and everything has been discussed at least once. Since you're now registered, just start asking questions - like here, there are lots of people willing to give useful advice.

Link to all my Gen II mods
I originally designed this backrest for my Triumph Tiger but it was easily adapted to the FJR since the GEN II FJR has a very similarly proportioned 2-piece driver/passenger seat. It can be installed or removed in about 30 seconds without any tools. It can be flipped up or down with one hand while riding and it has a small amount of fore/aft adjustment. On the FJR, it works with either my OEM or Corbin seat (Corbin shown). To increase the functionality, I added some small bags to carry things such as rain gear.

Here is a picture of the backrest assembly by itself:

4286636912_049873c109_o.jpg

Here are some pictures of the backrest installed on the FJR:

4286637008_488b170e98_o.jpg

4285894233_82903e3021_o.jpg

Here are some pictures of the backrest installed on the Tiger:

4285893649_076aef4b31_o.jpg

4285893765_d926b2b6f3_o.jpg

WHY A FLIP-DOWN STYLE?

BMW originally installed these on the R1200C as an option, and it could be positioned to serve as either a small passenger seat or a driver backrest. On my bikes, the down position would never be used for a passenger seat since the assembly actually sits on top of the OEM passenger seat and is much too high. If I need to carry a passenger (maybe once a year – wife has own bikes) I just take the backrest assembly completely off. I chose this flipping style backrest for another reason, however. There are really two ways to hop on a bike, foot first over the driver seat, or swinging a bent leg over the passenger seat. I do the latter (the Tiger really is too tall to go foot first) and I wanted the backrest to be out of the way for swinging the leg over it.

IT NEEDED A LITTLE MODIFICATION TO FIT

From the factory, the base plate of this backrest is curved to match the rear fender. I cut this off to make it flat and added a 1/2” thick pad so it wouldn’t damage my passenger seat vinyl. I had to replace the heavy spring in the backrest release knob with a lighter one so I could pull the knob while seated. I’m sure BMW went extra heavy with this spring for safety reasons, but I haven’t had any problem with the lighter one installed.

I then added front and a rear quick-disconnect mounts to the backrest assembly and mating halves to the bike. This is the SS quick-release hinge that worked nicely as the mount https://www.reidsupply.com/Detail.aspx?itm=SC-6611). I think Southco is the hinge OEM. The rear receiving mount on the bikes is simply attached to the rear case or rack and stays there permanently since it doesn’t really get in the way when not in use. I had to get a little creative with the front mount since I wanted it to “disappear” when the backrest was not installed. On the FJR, the front mount attaches to the bottom of the passenger seat and hinges up between the seats when needed. On the Tiger, a hinged plate mounts to the driver seat (pictures were before a coat of paint).

Here are the FJR mounts:

4286637314_ff14240ef3_o.jpg

4286637206_69b6d55c18_o.jpg

4286637484_51a3347e72_o.jpg

4285894521_5933e0f136_o.jpg

4286637828_5010a7ae4d_o.jpg

4285894839_be603a494e_o.jpg

4286637556_027dd17d0e_o.jpg

4286637732_0534e7c001_o.jpg

Here are the Tiger mounts (before it's coat of paint):

4285893899_6c2192e1c4_o.jpg

4285893977_052eddf0cd_o.jpg

4286636726_176569d6f3_o.jpg

AND A COUPLE OTHER FEATURES

As I mentioned earlier, I added some small soft bags to the base plate for quick access storage. I find them most useful for my rain suit since I can get it quickly without open up and getting rain in my hard bags when those sudden storms hit. With the backrest up, a nice little “cradle” is formed between these side bags to carry extra gear in a pinch - I lose the flip-down feature, of course, if anything is stowed there. I mounted them to the sides of the base plate with a quick-disconnect system designed for bicycle handlebar bags (made by Jandd), but found that I never really needed to take them off so that fab time was probably wasted.

4286637924_81c145fa3a_o.jpg

4286638020_53537fb78d_o.jpg

I also added a small pad at the front of the base plate for tailbone protection when the backrest is flipped down. It slides up for access to the front mount.

4286638134_b1e6bd8c7b_o.jpg

IN CLOSING

A driver backrest is a real pleasure on those long rides. Combined with forward mounted footpegs and pull-back handlebars, they allow you click away those interstate miles effortlessly. I've been using this backrest now for about 5 years and I wouldn't give it up. I only hope it will adapt to my next new bike.
Would you be interested in putting together / modifying one of these for my 2010 FJR? I would love to have one of these. If so, what would my total cost be?

Would you be interested in putting together / modifying one of these for my 2010 FJR? I would love to have one of these. If so, what would my total cost be?
Thanks for your interest JAKEDAWG, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to reproduce most of my farkles at this time.

What normally happens is I start building something with spare parts I have lying around. In the case of this backrest, I found a very very reasonably priced BMW part at a swap meet and bought it knowing I would use it someday. The price to buy these parts new from the dealer is outrageous and I doubt anyone would pay that much for the accessory backrest, considering even more work still needs to go into making it a quick detach system.

One of these days when I'm sick of the corporate life, I may go into business. I'm sure I would enjoy it.