S Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOgre

Reaction score
After reading way too many posts, gonna give the S-Plugs ear-buds a shot based on comfort/noise reduction/sound quality (in that order). Haven't seen much about them lately though. Before I drop the $$, can anyone who's had these for a bit say anything negative about them?

After reading way too many posts, gonna give the S-Plugs ear-buds a shot based on comfort/noise reduction/sound quality (in that order). Haven't seen much about them lately though. Before I drop the $$, can anyone who's had these for a bit say anything negative about them?
I bought a set a few weeks ago, so I can offer some early first impressions:

• Fit: not as gentle on the (my) ears as a foam plug. Flanged plugs have ear canal sizes they are and are not happy with - foam plugs are more forgiving. I have a hard time seating my right ear properly - I need to try some hearing aid lubricant and see if that makes it a little easier. Once in, though, they do completely disappear in your ear - no helmet interference whatsoever, no noticeable noise coming in via the cable.
  • Finish: Nicely constructed and the little case that comes with them is fairly spiffy.
  • Audio: I got the single-driver, no in-line volume model. BUY THE ONE WITH A VOLUME CONTROL. With the isolation from external noise, the lowest volume setting on ANY of my gear is bordering on "too loud". It's better on the bike when it's fighting engine and wind noise, but sitting around the office I end up really wanting some additional attenuation - it's waaaay too easy to sneak up on me now.
  • Isolation: Does the job. Maybe one or two dB less effective than the cheap yellow foam plugs I usually wear (see "Fit" above...), but still good enough for some real protection.

I haven't put more than 20 minutes at a time on the bike with the S-Plugs in, so I don't have a good feel for long-term comfort yet.

Do be careful at intersections: The Beatles wrote some very catchy tunes and you end up getting looked at funny by the people in the next lane when you're singing along (loudly) to "Paperback Writer".

I've got em and I likes em. B) They do a good job of reducing noise while fitting comfortably (for me) inside the ear and providing good sound. https://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=SPLUG

I use an ipod with an ijet for remote control. This setup (SPlugs and an ijet) allows you to listen to tunes with good noise cancellation and hands-free control of your ipod with the ijet's bluetooth connection. https://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=IJET

See this link for some other opinions on the SPlugs. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?sh...amp;hl=earplugs

Good luck.

Thanks guys. Both are the replies I was hoping for. I did read that link when I first started looking at these but, as it was from last summer, was just wondering if people still had the same favorable impressions a year later. And the in-line volume control I think is a must also. Using mine hooked to an original XM SkyFi (Upgrading that is another topic. Sooo glad I bought all that stock a few years ago!) and while I can adjust the volume on that, it's about two or three steps through the menu including dialing that wheel. Not easy at all with gloves.

Thanks again for the updates.